Greinke/Quentin fight Topic

I'd be mad at Ellis if I was Greinke. If you're behind the plate and you see Quentin take a few steps towards your pitcher (especially one of your aces), you better get your *** out there and run interference. He certainly had time to do so.
4/13/2013 1:10 AM

As a White Sox fan I do not recall Carlos Quentin as someone who was combative with opposing players. Quentin has always been among the League Leaders in hit by pitch, at all levels, college, minors, and the Major Leagues.

With the Diamondbacks, Quentin was a talented prospect who was not delivering on his promise.  His intensity worked against him.

In his first successful season with the Chicago White Sox Quentin was considered to be an MVP candidate until he injured his hand in acting out his frustration from a failed at bat. *

Greinke was tossed in the first inning of a Milwaukee Brewers game during a pennant race.**

So both players have had to overcome issues with their mental approach.

I would think both players achieved great success as amateur athletes because of drive and intensity, but at times they may have suffered consequences for being so driven and intense.

I checked out my recollections after my post -

* From wikipedia.     Quentin injured his wrist after slamming his bat with his wrist in frustration after fouling off a pitch in Cleveland. On September 5, 2008, it was reported that Quentin had a fractured wrist and would undergo surgery, missing the rest of the season.[3]White Sox lose 100-RBI man Quentin to self-inflicted wrist injury   
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3571240

In 2008, Quentin was a huge surprise for the White Sox, emerging to become one of the team's best hitters. Through August 18, he was ranking among American League leaders in home runs (first, 35), slugging percentage (third, .586),OPS (third, .981), and runs batted in (third, 96). Quentin's strong season drew calls for a possible AL MVP award. After Quentin hit his 35th HR in a 13-5 rout of the Mariners on August 18, White Sox catcher AJ Pierzynski said, "As far as I'm concerned, Quentin has been the American League MVP."

White Sox fans bestowed the nickname "TCQ," standing for "The Carlos Quentin." The name originated from a quote from GM Ken Williams after he acquired Quentin. He said, "We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire Carlos Quentin, and not a guy like him but actually Carlos Quentin."

Quentin's other local nickname is "Q-uperman." The "Q-uperman" sign, depicting Quentin as Superman with an "Q" on his chest, was shown many times on the Jumbotron at the park, and even received mention in the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, and on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.

Quentin finished the year with a .288 average, 36 home runs, 100 RBI, and a .394 on-base percentage in 130 games. Defensively, in 2008 he had the lowest fielding percentage of all starting AL left fielders, .971.[4] Even though he missed the last month of the season, Quentin was awarded his first Silver Slugger Award.

Quentin finished fifth in the balloting for AL MVP, behind Dustin PedroiaJustin MorneauKevin Youkilis, and Joe Mauer.

** ooooohdoggie  -  I remembered it being later in the season, this game actually occurred just before the All-Star Game - From wikipedia,  In an oddity, Greinke became the first pitcher to start three straight games for his team in 95 years. On July 7, he was ejected from the game after just 4 pitches for angrily throwing the ball into the ground following a close play at first base. The following day, Greinke started again, but lasted only until the third inning.[24] The All-Star break followed, and Greinke was the Brewers' starter on July 13, the team's next game. Greinke's third start ended after 5 innings.

4/19/2013 4:28 PM (edited)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-dodgers-san-diego-padres-brawl-after-zack-greinke-hits-carlos-quentin-with-pitch-041113

The Dodgers were furious Quentin — hit by pitches 116 times in his big league career — didn't just trot to first base. The Dodgers thought the situation, a 3-2 pitch with L.A. ahead 2-1, hardly called for a purposeful plunking. And they said Quentin crowds the plate, denying pitchers the opportunity to pitch inside without hitting him.

Quentin felt otherwise.

"It's a man's game on the field," he said." Thoughts aren't present when things like this happen."

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly was livid.

"That's just stupid is what it is," Mattingly said. "He should not play a game until Greinke can pitch. If he plays before Greinke pitches, something's wrong. He caused the whole thing. Nothing happens if he goes to first base."

Greinke twice hit Quentin with pitches when they were in the American League.

"I've been hit by many pitches," said Quentin, plunked more often than any other major league hitter since the start of 2008. "Some have been intentional, some have not been. For the amount I have been hit and my hitting style, I'm going to repeat: I have never reacted that way."

Kemp found Quentin in the hallway near the players' exit as they were leaving the ballpark after the game. The 6-foot-4, 214-pound Kemp briefly went nose to nose with Quentin before Richard, who is 6-5 and 245 pounds, stepped between them. Police and security moved in to break it up.

Both teams said the melee could have been avoided. They play another three-game series at Dodger Stadium beginning Monday night.

4/19/2013 3:25 PM
◂ Prev 12
Greinke/Quentin fight Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.