Trying out a Rule 5 pick in the pre-season Topic

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but if I pick a player in the Rule 5 draft is there any way to try him out without tying up an MLB roster spot for the player?

I just got a guy who probably can't cut it in the Majors, but I have no way to test him out without demoting a player who I might like to keep around. I'm afraid of damaging my demotee's progress if I end up cutting the Rule 5 player at the end of the Spring - any thoughts/suggestions?
4/12/2013 12:32 PM
You can't play the R5 guy unless you put him on your ML roster.  So if you don't have an open spot, and don;t want to designate or demote anybody, then you really have no other options.
4/12/2013 12:41 PM
Neither of the guys you drafted in Rule 5 are going to be very good at the ML level. They both look like career AAA.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Benny Padilla
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fautino Morales

4/12/2013 6:57 PM
Padilla is replacement level at best.

Morales is below replacement level.
4/12/2013 7:12 PM
I dump Padilla and keep Morales as a long guy. He's not very good, mind you....but he's better than Padilla.
4/12/2013 7:27 PM
Let 'em both go. I don't see anything there with either of them.
4/12/2013 11:37 PM
Which takes me to a question I've been wanting to ask for a long time--If you  have a full roster why do you draft guys like this? All you do is jack up their salary. And why do people draft; pitchers with splits in the 40's, 4-8 guys, and generally guys they know they will not keep. I see tons sent back and never play a pitch for the drafting  team. Since I pay attention to  my minors it tends to **** me off.
4/15/2013 8:43 PM
I assume they do this to pad their AAA roster with AAAA type players.
4/15/2013 9:28 PM
but you can't assign them to AAA  for a year. 
4/16/2013 6:16 AM
If you draft a crapload of them, and then offer them all back, chances are that some/many will clear waivers and not be accepted back by their original teams.  The ones that make it though can be sent to AAA.
4/16/2013 6:50 AM
With a few more years of experience, you'll be able to tell if a guy can cut it in the majors just by looking at his ratings.  Playing him all through ST won't make him any better. 
4/16/2013 8:42 AM
Posted by dlmose on 4/15/2013 8:43:00 PM (view original):
Which takes me to a question I've been wanting to ask for a long time--If you  have a full roster why do you draft guys like this? All you do is jack up their salary. And why do people draft; pitchers with splits in the 40's, 4-8 guys, and generally guys they know they will not keep. I see tons sent back and never play a pitch for the drafting  team. Since I pay attention to  my minors it tends to **** me off.
Sometimes it's lack of attention.   Either failure to rank or failure to change R5 settings.
4/16/2013 8:47 AM
Quick question.... I have had a couple situations where I had a pitcher with high control 90-100.  high pitches 3 or 4 pitches over 75...and low splits 40-50  but pitch very well...  if they have high control and high pitches 3 or 4  will that offset  them having low splits..or was it a fluke?
4/16/2013 3:22 PM
That's not really "good" , also looks like a small sample size over the past three seasons.  He's been hit pretty hard over the course of his career. 
4/16/2013 3:42 PM
12 Next ▸
Trying out a Rule 5 pick in the pre-season Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.