Biggest Point Spread Upset Topic

Posted by colonels19 on 4/14/2013 11:58:00 PM (view original):
Lofl...this may sound a bit strange, and I've said it before, but I don't want to be taught, I don't want to be mentored, I don't and didn't want to learn the game the way anyone else played it because I like to do things my way.  I never wanted to feel like I was an extension/disciple of X coach, I always wanted to know enough so I could pursue and attempt to conquer the game the way I see/saw fit, and I appreciate that many of you catered to me in that fashion.  For better or for worse, it's who I am, and I don't see my behavior as arrogant or cocky, I was never trying to suggest that I was better than anyone or show up anyone because I didn't "want their help", I'm just that stubbornly set (for lack of a better term) of succeeding/failing on my own merit that I didn't/don't want to be emy2, girt2, alblack2, gillispie2, etc....I want(ed) to leave my own distinct stamp.

I try to mentor in the same fashion, though I would first recommend to said user that they talk to someone who's better at the game than I lol.  I haven't been asked for help much, but I try to be vague while helping said user try to understand the nuance(s) of the game...not so much what works, but perhaps think about more why it works and to find success in the way that YOU/THEY play the game...again that's just kind of how I roll.  I think everyone here is fantastic though, and will help/answer questions at the drop of a hat.

I've only played a few seasons in HD (unsuccessfully) and am now coming back trying to do the same thing, and not taking anyone else's particular coaching and recruiting strategies. Unfortunately, cbriese explained how he coached/recruited a few years ago, and that seems to have stuck in my head, so even if I do see some success there's no doubt it'll be attributed to him.
4/15/2013 5:33 PM
I don't want to be spoonfed the information, but I definitely scoured the forums when I joined last summer. Took some folks' thoughts to heart. Dispensed with some entirely. 

After about six months of playing, I sitemailed a successful coach and asked if he'd be willing to answer questions. He was, and I've asked a lot of questions, mostly extremely specific ones. Towards the beginning I asked some "what's wrong with this team" questions, and most of the answers were exactly what I thought they'd be. But it's nice to have a second pair of eyes sometimes. I think that the biggest benefit, other than the second pair of eyes, is the chance he's already tested something I want to try. If there's a strategy I'm considering using, or there's a recruit who doesn't meet the standard for X Position that I'm considering finding, I can say "hey, have you tried this? Have you signed a guy like that? How did it work? What happened?" No reason to go through trail and error when you can learn from someone else's trial and error. But if you're still coming up with the questions on your own, I feel like you're still being your own coach, not just someone else's disciple. At least I feel that way, Your mileage may vary. 

And of course, there's an added benefit of mentors for brand new coaches in just answering simple cause and effect questions like "how much effort does it take to get someone considering me?" 

I guess it really all depends on how you want to use it. You can look for someone who will basically give you a list of all the successful things he's done, or you can ask for a second perspective on what you're already doing, or anything in between. 

Of course, I haven't won anything yet, and my mentor has seven championships, so maybe I should ask for some spoon-feeding. haha
4/15/2013 5:53 PM
Posted by mbriese on 4/15/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Lofl...this may sound a bit strange, and I've said it before, but I don't want to be taught, I don't want to be mentored, I don't and didn't want to learn the game the way anyone else played it because I like to do things my way.  I never wanted to feel like I was an extension/disciple of X coach, I always wanted to know enough so I could pursue and attempt to conquer the game the way I see/saw fit, and I appreciate that many of you catered to me in that fashion.  For better or for worse, it's who I am, and I don't see my behavior as arrogant or cocky, I was never trying to suggest that I was better than anyone or show up anyone because I didn't "want their help", I'm just that stubbornly set (for lack of a better term) of succeeding/failing on my own merit that I didn't/don't want to be emy2, girt2, alblack2, gillispie2, etc....I want(ed) to leave my own distinct stamp.

I try to mentor in the same fashion, though I would first recommend to said user that they talk to someone who's better at the game than I lol.  I haven't been asked for help much, but I try to be vague while helping said user try to understand the nuance(s) of the game...not so much what works, but perhaps think about more why it works and to find success in the way that YOU/THEY play the game...again that's just kind of how I roll.  I think everyone here is fantastic though, and will help/answer questions at the drop of a hat.

I've only played a few seasons in HD (unsuccessfully) and am now coming back trying to do the same thing, and not taking anyone else's particular coaching and recruiting strategies. Unfortunately, cbriese explained how he coached/recruited a few years ago, and that seems to have stuck in my head, so even if I do see some success there's no doubt it'll be attributed to him.
Huh, I thought you WERE Cbriese!
4/15/2013 9:23 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 4/15/2013 5:54:00 PM (view original):
I don't want to be spoonfed the information, but I definitely scoured the forums when I joined last summer. Took some folks' thoughts to heart. Dispensed with some entirely. 

After about six months of playing, I sitemailed a successful coach and asked if he'd be willing to answer questions. He was, and I've asked a lot of questions, mostly extremely specific ones. Towards the beginning I asked some "what's wrong with this team" questions, and most of the answers were exactly what I thought they'd be. But it's nice to have a second pair of eyes sometimes. I think that the biggest benefit, other than the second pair of eyes, is the chance he's already tested something I want to try. If there's a strategy I'm considering using, or there's a recruit who doesn't meet the standard for X Position that I'm considering finding, I can say "hey, have you tried this? Have you signed a guy like that? How did it work? What happened?" No reason to go through trail and error when you can learn from someone else's trial and error. But if you're still coming up with the questions on your own, I feel like you're still being your own coach, not just someone else's disciple. At least I feel that way, Your mileage may vary. 

And of course, there's an added benefit of mentors for brand new coaches in just answering simple cause and effect questions like "how much effort does it take to get someone considering me?" 

I guess it really all depends on how you want to use it. You can look for someone who will basically give you a list of all the successful things he's done, or you can ask for a second perspective on what you're already doing, or anything in between. 

Of course, I haven't won anything yet, and my mentor has seven championships, so maybe I should ask for some spoon-feeding. haha
I agree Tarvolon, to each their own.  Some (like Colonels and I and many more I would guess) wanted to try to succeed on their own.  Some (like you and many others) kind of mixed and matched.  Others took the mentor's advice step-by-step-by-step.  No one way is any better than the other, just what each individual coach is looking for, really.
4/15/2013 9:26 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/15/2013 9:23:00 PM (view original):

Nope - I'm his son. We both played GD for a while and HBD for years, but he was always more into HD than I was.
4/15/2013 9:49 PM
Posted by mbriese on 4/15/2013 9:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 4/15/2013 9:23:00 PM (view original):

Nope - I'm his son. We both played GD for a while and HBD for years, but he was always more into HD than I was.
I always refer to my dad as his screenname in real life
4/15/2013 10:36 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 4/15/2013 3:00:00 PM (view original):
i actually feel similarly to colonels, i just think the Colonels of the Montevallo incident was a very extreme version of this. This game has such a steep learning curve and progresses so slowly that you should at least read the forums a decent amount to learn about the game...lest you spend several years to get to competitiveness.
That had a lot less to do with me "doing things/playing the game/learning my way" and a lot more to do with me feeling that I got screwed, and that I should have won despite my lack of coaching/gameplanning...I guess I still feel like I should have won that game, but it was really the turning point in my HD career...it's when I regularly positioned my defense and set double teams before every game...I was very used to the NBA sim at the time, and I  practically never gameplanned there, but I think it's a lot less noticeable/harmful if you don't there...talent usually wins out in the NBA sim.
4/16/2013 12:24 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/15/2013 9:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarvolon on 4/15/2013 5:54:00 PM (view original):

I agree Tarvolon, to each their own.  Some (like Colonels and I and many more I would guess) wanted to try to succeed on their own.  Some (like you and many others) kind of mixed and matched.  Others took the mentor's advice step-by-step-by-step.  No one way is any better than the other, just what each individual coach is looking for, really.
+1 play the game however it makes you happiest.
4/16/2013 12:30 AM
◂ Prev 12
Biggest Point Spread Upset Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.