Multiple teams in one world Topic

The most time-consuming issues I deal with for HD are ones related to one user having multiple teams (under alias accounts) in the same world.  This was never intended to be permitted, but we've generally allowed it (with restrictions) because of the difficulties in monitoring it. 

I know there are plenty of people with multiple teams who follow the rules and play fairly, but the people who don't are sucking too much valuable time away from more important things.  I'm considering a policy of removing any alias account team immediately upon being alerted to it.  Let me know what you think.

Votes: 310
(Last vote received: 12/16/2021 2:48 AM)
4/17/2013 8:20 AM
The obvious question is what you'd do with people who already have multiple teams in the same world. (I'm not one of them.)

Would you grandfather them in, or would they have to immediately give up the teams that are contrary to the new policy?
4/17/2013 8:33 AM
They would be removed - either immediately or at the end of the season.
4/17/2013 8:38 AM
Interesting, thanks. I suggest you find some way to compensate those coaches, but I think the idea is reasonable and fair in concept.
4/17/2013 8:40 AM
I suggest that everyone react rationally here.  The situation that dshook30 has laid out here in the main forum is likely the primary reason we are voting on this right now.  Don't overreact to one bad situation.  Seble, the biggest questions I have are:

1)  How do you figure out multiple user teams in one world?  You can't do it simply by looking at IP addresses, because many HD users have family members that play HD in the same world, and therefore are using the same IP address (this is by far this biggest issue with what you are proposing).

2)  In the cases where it is one person with multiple teams, if you were to remove the alias team how would you determine which one is the alias and which one is the intended main account?  Wouldn't you have to sitemail each and every coach in this situation in order to handle it fairly?

3)  How would you compensate people for removing their teams?  Would you give them site credits?  Would those site credits be transferrable to their primary accounts or would they have to use those site credits to join different worlds with the alias account than the worlds they are in with the primary account?  What  if the main account already has teams in all HD worlds?
4/17/2013 9:09 AM
1) We have various methods to link accounts.  When it comes to family members, we have to take their word for it unless there is contradicting evidence.

2) We generally allow a user to pick which team to keep, so that would likely be the procedure in most cases.

3) I can't speak to any potential compensation as this hasn't been discussed.  At the very least we'd probably allow a one-time transfer of seasons to another account.

4/17/2013 9:20 AM
The upside for us is that things become much more objective and easy to handle.  There is significant time spent by several of us dealing with the gray areas caused by allowing multiple teams. 

It's not something I'm dead set on changing - I just want to get a sense of the general feeling on it.  I've gotten quite a bit of feedback from people who don't like that we allow it. 
4/17/2013 9:24 AM
Doesn't affect me directly (I have no alias), and it really makes no difference to me. I'm fine with people having multiple teams in a world as long as they are not using them to cheat (i.e. sharing FSS or targeting the same coaches in recruiting). If it's not feasible for you to monitor whether or not they are using them to cheat, banning of multiple teams sounds like the most fair solution. But you could monitor, the status quo would be fine to me. 

Question: would requiring the teams be in a different division ease any of the enforcement pains? 
4/17/2013 9:29 AM
I am very much opposed to changing the current 1000 mi rule. There are a number of established users who went out and found teams that met the criteria that you laid out as acceptable in order to play more. They followed the rules and are playing the game according to what is required.

If you totally eliminate  the second team, at the very least allow those who have legal second teams to grandfather those teams in OR allow 3-5 seasons to find a team in another world that they would like to coach. Don't just dump on these coaches who have met the criteria to have a second team.

I have 2 teams about 2500 miles apart. It took me 3 seasons of searching all worlds to find another team I wanted to coach (my 4th). Please consider those of us who are most affected.
4/17/2013 10:05 AM
Just a reminder for everyone who owns multiple accounts to use all those accounts to vote A (or B).
4/17/2013 10:08 AM
Why would you want a second team in the same world?  Why wouldn't you just take a team in  a different world.   I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see a valid reason to have a 2nd team.
4/17/2013 10:20 AM
That's what I was wondering, TJ.

Now, if we're going to allow a coach to have two teams in a world, why not only allow that once that coach already has a team in every existing world?

ETA: I don't think any particular rule revision is going to settle the root issue.  Above is just a coherent rule that could be in place.

4/17/2013 10:29 AM (edited)
Good point trenton...my initial reaction would be so they could FSS more states. I understand if you are 2000-2500 miles apart (schools in CA and NY for example), that recruiting in the northeast from the school in CA would be expensive, but you would have the added benefit of being able to see potentials for whatever NE states you FSSed with your NY team. It just seems odd, but there are probably legitimate reasons (besides wanting to play more).
4/17/2013 10:31 AM
There are a horde of worlds, none of which are remotely close to being filled to capacity by humans, so I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't see why WIS would condone allowing a user to have a second team in the same world. It would be one matter if all the worlds were running 80+ percent capacity and D3 entry positions were virtually impossible to come by, forcing people into a "take what you get" situation. But they aren't. I'm not sure we have a world that's even at 50 percent currently and I would guess 33 percent is probably closer to the correct figure. There's ample opportunities in other worlds for people wanting other teams. (And if someone really has teams across all worlds already, god bless them for having more free time than I could ever imagine!)
4/17/2013 10:41 AM
There are currently 13 accounts with a team in every world.  The vast majority of accounts have 1-3 teams.
4/17/2013 10:54 AM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Multiple teams in one world Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.