What does "evenly distributed" really mean? Topic

Hi --

When signing players to new contracts, I'll sometimes get the error message, "This contract is not evenly distributed. Please distribute the money evenly and then resubmit your offer." I get what it means generally -- a given year should not depart drastically in dollar amount from another year. But does anyone have a specific explanation or definition for what "evenly distributed" means? Or maybe it's supposed to be vague...

4/18/2013 10:18 AM

Season - This is the actual season salary that you would like to offer the player. Season 1 refers to the first season in which the player is not already under contract with your franchise. So, if the player is currently arbitration eligible and has not gone through an arbitration hearing, season 1 means this current season. If the player is in the final year of his contract with your team and will soon become a free agent, season 1 indicates the next Hardball Dynasty season. In a two-year contract, neither season can comprise more than 60% of the total value of the contract. In a three-year contract, no season can comprise more than 40% of the total value of the contract. In a four-year contract, no season can comprise more than 30% of the total value of the contract. In a five-year contract, no season can comprise more than 25% or less than 10% of the total value of the contract. There is a maximum allowable offer of $20 million for any season. The minimum for any season is the minimum annual salary at that level. For the big leagues, this is 325K. To change the offer for any season, please click in the box next to the season and enter an integer value. For a three-year contract, you must enter in values for the first three seasons, but you may leave seasons 4 and 5 blank. The total value of the contract will appear at the bottom of the page.

4/18/2013 10:29 AM
Thanks!
4/18/2013 10:53 AM
yw
4/18/2013 11:05 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
[quote]]In a five-year contract, no season can comprise more than 25% or less than 10% of the total value of the contract.[/quote]

I keep getting told that the following deal is unevenly distributed but I am confused as to why. All seasons are between 10 and 25%. I thought that it might be counting the bonus as part of the first year but I know that you can offer 30m including bonus in the first year of a max 110m contract which is >25% of the contract.

TOTAL 28 m over 5 years
Bonus: 4.2m
Years 1-4: 4.2m
Year 5: 7m
2/7/2015 7:49 AM
Also, there is no payroll conflict in any year so that possibility is eliminated. Additionally, I forgot to mention that the player demands a No Trade Clause.
2/7/2015 7:58 AM
Posted by kobh on 2/7/2015 7:50:00 AM (view original):
[quote]]In a five-year contract, no season can comprise more than 25% or less than 10% of the total value of the contract.[/quote]

I keep getting told that the following deal is unevenly distributed but I am confused as to why. All seasons are between 10 and 25%. I thought that it might be counting the bonus as part of the first year but I know that you can offer 30m including bonus in the first year of a max 110m contract which is >25% of the contract.

TOTAL 28 m over 5 years
Bonus: 4.2m
Years 1-4: 4.2m
Year 5: 7m
You have to take the bonus out of the equation,

That leaves you with a total value of $23.8m to distribute across 5 seasons

1 - $4.2m - 17.6% - OK
2 - $4.2m - 17.6% - OK
3 - $4.2m - 17.6% - OK
4 - $4.2m - 17.6% - OK
5 - $7.0m - 29.4% - there's the problem

Lower that final season to $5.95m and throw the other $1.05m into (or spread across) any of the other four seasons and you should be good. 

2/7/2015 10:34 AM (edited)
Different contract question.

Which deal would a FA take:

2 years, 6 million total
3 years 7 million total

How is higher average annual salary weighted compared to more years?
2/8/2015 8:17 AM
He'd take the second deal.  It's neither average nor term, it's total dollar value that counts.

2/8/2015 8:57 AM
Posted by damag on 2/8/2015 8:57:00 AM (view original):
He'd take the second deal.  It's neither average nor term, it's total dollar value that counts.

Can the average dip below the player's demand?  

Say they demand 2 yrs and $4m total

Could you offer $800k for 5 years?
2/8/2015 9:40 AM
Posted by victim on 2/8/2015 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by damag on 2/8/2015 8:57:00 AM (view original):

Can the average dip below the player's demand?  

Say they demand 2 yrs and $4m total

Could you offer $800k for 5 years?
Thats a good question. I was wondering that myself
2/8/2015 10:19 AM
I haven't had a player accept a deal below his demand.  Perhaps someone with more experience has seen it?

2/8/2015 10:30 AM
No. Their yearly $ amount is what they demand.

So if they want 4M over 2 years they will not accept less than 10M over 5.
2/8/2015 11:28 AM
correct.  they will however accept less years.  If a guy wants 4M over 2 years he will accept a 4M 1 year deal
2/9/2015 10:09 AM
12 Next ▸
What does "evenly distributed" really mean? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.