This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It's a simulation game. 

I voted no in the poll but this post makes me want to go vote yes. I have always thought it was silly to have multiple teams in a world, but you've had your account for what, a week? Give it some more time, I think you'll realize that it's just a fun time wasting game. We each play the way in which we have fun, there is no way for you to have a solid grasp on anything whatifsports hoops related yet. 

4/18/2013 1:08 PM
You also should understand that the way you imagine things to be is not how they are.  It is currently legal to have more than one team in a world.  It is illegal to use FSS information from one team to aid another.  Kind of like: It's legal to drive a car.  It is illegal to run people over with it.  There's a line drawn between the two things.

4/18/2013 1:13 PM
I agree with thinair. I dont think people should have more than 1 team in a world, but I also understand the counter arguement. I've been around here long enough also to understand that if we remove all of these teams where a coach has more than 1 account, this site and game itself may cease to even exist after some time. There is not enough new people coming into the game to remove all of those accounts which are connected in some way. I'd much rather have the game exist altogether.

I have more than 1 team in a world and purposely named the accounts something similar to make it obvious. I did this because I enjoyed that world and the people in it. I also enjoy not having to create a new recruiting cycle I have to plan for monthly as it is hard enough to set aside time for the one as it is. I refuse to recruit in an area where my other school is. I don't scout for my other teams, because I have enough issues maintaining my recruiting money for that school's battles. Yes there are people who use it to cheat and there should be a solution, but there are a lot who don't also that just enjoy the relationships they've built with other coaches.
4/18/2013 1:23 PM
Gee, I thought the Presidential election was done.  But, no, we're still labeling those who disagree with us as 'elite' and accusing them  of 'vomiting twisted logic' and not knowing what 'is the best for all of us.'  

And ''Move along, please'??? Shades of Romney's 47% comment.

I think petitions are a great American tradition.  But this one needs to be re-written,  without the insults to my friends, before I can consider it.
4/18/2013 1:24 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/18/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
You also should understand that the way you imagine things to be is not how they are.  It is currently legal to have more than one team in a world.  It is illegal to use FSS information from one team to aid another.  Kind of like: It's legal to drive a car.  It is illegal to run people over with it.  There's a line drawn between the two things.

unfortunately, while the original poster may think this is a new question, it isnt.  The game was set up and has operated one way.  The question is whether to change the way it works, which should take account of what is currently allowed and currently not allowed.

I urge folks to endorse my suggestion that multi-ID users be required to declare openly that they have more than one ID.  Anyone who fails to declare would treated as having broken the rules.  With disclosure, any bad behavior would be deterred or discovered.

One could do this in a thread or even better add fields to the owner information relating an ID.  I'd add the following

1.  Do you operate in HD under any other name, if so what is that user ID?

2. Are other user ID's closely related to you?  If so, what ID's and what is the relationship for each?  (I have in mind here father, brother, etc etc)

Combined with the existing 1000 mile policy, a disclosure approach should stop abuse while not unsettling long, non-cheating players.  Other ideas, like changing FSS, run the risk of unforeseen effects. 

Vote to require folks to declare other ID's
4/18/2013 1:30 PM
Here, Here!  Mamxet Manifesto!  

You got my vote good lookin'!
4/18/2013 1:34 PM
What's the enforcement mechanism?  Would it even be useful as a whitelist?  I can declare ID's one through three and not declare four and five.
4/18/2013 1:38 PM
This debate has been going on for years. It was around when I stopped playing when Rupp was around season 32 or 33, and it's still around now that I've come back after a few years. I agree with mamxet's idea about disclosure. I have already admitted mine in the multiple teams thread and would freely do so. I believe the only ones that would have a problem with admitting this are the ones that are using their accounts to do something not right.
4/18/2013 1:41 PM
The enforcement mechanism is the same that would be used to enforce a ban.  However WIS would ban multiple IDs, the same would work.  BUT, here is the difference.  Lets say we have someone who plays as both A1 and A2.  He declares that.

So lets say A1 and A2 have teams together in some world - the behavior can be readily examined and brought to the attention of Admin

But, as you say, what if he doesnt declare team A3 - then if that is detected by HD or by a user it is presumed to be a violation and the team must be dropped.. 
4/18/2013 1:43 PM
Posted by mamxet on 4/18/2013 1:43:00 PM (view original):
The enforcement mechanism is the same that would be used to enforce a ban.  However WIS would ban multiple IDs, the same would work.  BUT, here is the difference.  Lets say we have someone who plays as both A1 and A2.  He declares that.

So lets say A1 and A2 have teams together in some world - the behavior can be readily examined and brought to the attention of Admin

But, as you say, what if he doesnt declare team A3 - then if that is detected by HD or by a user it is presumed to be a violation and the team must be dropped.. 
I'll borrow your example for a second.

Currently, A1 and A2 can co-exist and if someone notices something fishy and reports it, WIS can remove one or both.  If they aren't acting fishy, then everything continues on normally.  Similarly, someone might notice A3 acting fishy and report it.  While they don't know it's the same person as A1, WIS might find that out while investigating and ban the person.

People are proposing banning multiple IDs, which would remove either A1 or A2.  It changes nothing about A3, which would still only be removed if someone notices something and reports it.

So what are we accomplishing with that change?  We're pushing out A1/A2 and for what gain?  A3 is still the problem and nothing about it changed.

4/18/2013 1:52 PM
Fair enough, mamxet, and thanks for fleshing out the point, killbatman.  A related point is that this would actually increase time and effort of WIS staff on enforcement.

4/18/2013 1:57 PM
My personal opinion, having played this game since the beginning, is that bad behavior happens but is rare.  I now play only at D1 so cant say that I watch D2 and D3 action, but every now and then I see fishy recruiting patterns in D1 

My bet would be that a system in which one declares other ID's and an undeclared ID is presumed to be a violation would deter bad behavior  Also, the presumption that you did wrong if you didnt declare the other ID should reduce the admin time. 
4/18/2013 2:02 PM
Posted by scthallfan on 4/18/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
This debate has been going on for years. It was around when I stopped playing when Rupp was around season 32 or 33, and it's still around now that I've come back after a few years. I agree with mamxet's idea about disclosure. I have already admitted mine in the multiple teams thread and would freely do so. I believe the only ones that would have a problem with admitting this are the ones that are using their accounts to do something not right.
I will announce my alter ego because then clearly I am not cheating. But then, clearly i am cheating because I admitted to having an alter ego so you would think I'm honest and not a cheater. So, then clearly I have told you that I have an alter ego to convince you that I am not a cheater who would consider lying about my plan to cheat while I am currently cheating at this very moment. So clearly I cannot choose the cup in front of me. Look what's that.....now you have fallen for the oldest trick in the book.
4/18/2013 2:12 PM
Inconceivable!
4/18/2013 2:16 PM
12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.