Online games like HD Topic

Posted by thinair on 4/22/2013 2:58:00 AM (view original):
I have OOTP but have never played online. Anyone interested in getting a league together?
I have long considered jumping back into OOTP, but I fear I would spend too much time on it. HD is nice in that there is only so much you can do to waste time. On the other hand, you can get lost for hours in OOTP and not even realize it. In online leagues...there's even more to do. Trading, writing articles, free agent signings, waiver wire...hours go by quite quickly. 

All that said, if you haven't tried out an online league, I highly suggest it. Go to OOTP developments forum, and browse the online leagues. People are constantly advertising openings. Though I'd recommend joining a brand new league if possible. It's lots of fun to be part of a start up and build your own team from scratch (if they do an inaugural draft).   
4/22/2013 11:16 AM
The baseball version on this site is pretty good.  For $12 (or whatever it costs) a season lasts two months.   Good deal....
4/22/2013 11:34 AM
Yeah, I actually think HBD is pretty superior to HD in terms of depth and engine.
4/22/2013 12:13 PM
GoalLineBlitz is decent, they take a completely different angle on designing the sim world.
4/22/2013 12:21 PM
Posted by pepwaves on 4/22/2013 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thinair on 4/22/2013 2:58:00 AM (view original):
I have OOTP but have never played online. Anyone interested in getting a league together?
I have long considered jumping back into OOTP, but I fear I would spend too much time on it. HD is nice in that there is only so much you can do to waste time. On the other hand, you can get lost for hours in OOTP and not even realize it. In online leagues...there's even more to do. Trading, writing articles, free agent signings, waiver wire...hours go by quite quickly. 

All that said, if you haven't tried out an online league, I highly suggest it. Go to OOTP developments forum, and browse the online leagues. People are constantly advertising openings. Though I'd recommend joining a brand new league if possible. It's lots of fun to be part of a start up and build your own team from scratch (if they do an inaugural draft).   
Cool, thx pep. Let me know if you change your mind. Could be fun to get a whatifsports league going.
4/22/2013 12:25 PM
Posted by isack24 on 4/22/2013 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I actually think HBD is pretty superior to HD in terms of depth and engine.
I was talking about SIM Baseball.   I played HBD once or twice but in baseball I like my players to be real.   Progressive leagues are pretty neat.
4/22/2013 12:27 PM
I played HBD for enough seasons to evaluate it, and I don't like it.

There are lots of features and options, but some of the deadlines are absolutely critical or you will screw your team over completely.

For example, I played the game for over ten seasons and was familiar with all the features by that point when I couldn't get online for a period of about three days. If this was HD, unless it was recruiting I'd have been completely fine.

In HBD, I didn't add some of my top minor leaguers to my 40-man roster and that exposed them to the rule 5 draft, which never should have happened. Could I have done it earlier? Yes, but ideally you want to wait to do that so that it doesn't start them on their way to arbitration as quickly. Boom, my entire plan for my team was ruined.

I was soured on the game at that point. I tried a return recently until I realized you have to check the team about three times a day to really manage it well, and I can't do that so I gave up on that too.

4/22/2013 12:31 PM
The SIM baseball game has three games a day (I think HBD does as well) so checking in 3 times a day is beneficial.   You can certainly set it and forget but it's advantageous to micromanage.
4/22/2013 12:40 PM
I used to play this text-based college basketball sim game back in the early 90's on an IBM compatible. Seems it was the fifty states as the college teams and you only recruited for 4 seasons. you set the lineups, distro, etc similar to HD.

Does anyone remember this game? I can't find my copy of it anymore and would love to go back in time and try it again.

The Lance Haffner Courtside College basketball simulator was the best way to simulate actual college basketball team until WhatIfSports came along. I played the Lance Haffner games quite a bit back in the day.

4/22/2013 12:41 PM
I am actually pretty good at the baseball game, if anyone wants to cross over, I can certainly help on the learning curve.  Feel free to smail me.
4/22/2013 12:42 PM
and if you can find this game somewhere, it was awesome in 1988....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126985/index.htm

4/22/2013 12:46 PM
Posted by hackerhog on 4/22/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
I used to play this text-based college basketball sim game back in the early 90's on an IBM compatible. Seems it was the fifty states as the college teams and you only recruited for 4 seasons. you set the lineups, distro, etc similar to HD.

Does anyone remember this game? I can't find my copy of it anymore and would love to go back in time and try it again.

The Lance Haffner Courtside College basketball simulator was the best way to simulate actual college basketball team until WhatIfSports came along. I played the Lance Haffner games quite a bit back in the day.

I'm a thumbs down on Lance Haffner games...always promised a Windows version and never came out with one...promised all of them in Spring 2002...oops lol

I had the pro basketball game, and guys would get penalized for getting rebounds, it would reduce their fatigue/effectiveness.  The DOSness of the game gets annoying too...that thing crashed a ton for me...you had to manually input schedules, etc, etc , etc

4/22/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/22/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
I played HBD for enough seasons to evaluate it, and I don't like it.

There are lots of features and options, but some of the deadlines are absolutely critical or you will screw your team over completely.

For example, I played the game for over ten seasons and was familiar with all the features by that point when I couldn't get online for a period of about three days. If this was HD, unless it was recruiting I'd have been completely fine.

In HBD, I didn't add some of my top minor leaguers to my 40-man roster and that exposed them to the rule 5 draft, which never should have happened. Could I have done it earlier? Yes, but ideally you want to wait to do that so that it doesn't start them on their way to arbitration as quickly. Boom, my entire plan for my team was ruined.

I was soured on the game at that point. I tried a return recently until I realized you have to check the team about three times a day to really manage it well, and I can't do that so I gave up on that too.

No to get too far off track, but adding a player to the 40 doesn't start his arbitration clock. And you have at least 10 RL days prior to the Rule 5. I don't really disagree that there are strict deadlines early in the offseason, especially for setting budgets, but that's really no different than recruiting here.
4/22/2013 10:31 PM
FWIW, I just shot an email to Jeff Sagarin about HOOPS...I'll let you know what (if anything) I hear about it.
4/22/2013 10:48 PM
◂ Prev 12
Online games like HD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.