My time here is coming to an end Topic

Posted by hobobilly on 4/22/2013 9:18:00 PM (view original):
I think it can all be chalked up too a tough semester, just a lot of research papers/science labs due around the same time. 
I ended up on academic probation one semester - it wasnt because of homework, it was a girlfriend who was a major distraction
4/22/2013 10:06 PM
I think I was on probation like ten out of my fourteen semesters.
4/22/2013 10:21 PM
Posted by bbunch on 4/22/2013 9:47:00 PM (view original):
if GPA's are completely linear in regards to study hall minutes....or for that matter, if ANYTHING is completely linear with assigned ratings all of the time, it takes the randomness out of the game, making it completely formulaic, and hence....not fun.

Sly, instead of complaining, you should have just learned from and accepted the mistake. I always give my freshmen 10 minutes right off the bat. That's a pretty standard number. Only 5 minutes leaves a lot more to chance and luck. 
BB, I agree with your linear statement, but don't IQ's fall into that category?  One of the more important parts of a player's "game" and they are as linear as you can get.  In fact, any semi-experienced coach should be able to tell you almost exactly what a player's IQ will be at the end of each of his seasons, based on the practice minutes involved.  So, going off tangent for a minute, how come a player's physical ratings are capped by potentials, but IQ's aren't?  Now THAT would make the game a WHOLE lot more interesting (at least to me).
4/23/2013 12:08 AM
Posted by milwood on 4/22/2013 9:50:00 PM (view original):
I recently had a similar experience except my player was a junior!  I got the warning and upped his SH minutes from 0 to 5 and he still flunked.  I know this is my fault since he flunked as a sophomore too. 

Okay, so I don't mean to jump on the negative bandwagon here, but what would have been an acceptable response?  It sounds to me like you want them to not only apologize for their egregious error, but to reinstate your player.  I don't think CS researches how long someone has been a paying customer, nor should they.  A newb deserves the same amount of courtesy as a veteran (maybe even a little bit more).  Unfortunately, it seems like that level of courtesy is virtually non-existent.
I absolutely agree with this.  A ticket should be handled equally whether a coach has played one game or ten calendar years.  Shouldn't matter.  But we all know that it does matter.  There are certain coaches who totally have Seble's ear and seem to have an undue amount of influence with him.  Not right.  At all.
4/23/2013 12:12 AM
Slyman, got your sitemail, check yours.
4/23/2013 12:12 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/23/2013 12:12:00 AM (view original):
I recently had a similar experience except my player was a junior!  I got the warning and upped his SH minutes from 0 to 5 and he still flunked.  I know this is my fault since he flunked as a sophomore too. 

Okay, so I don't mean to jump on the negative bandwagon here, but what would have been an acceptable response?  It sounds to me like you want them to not only apologize for their egregious error, but to reinstate your player.  I don't think CS researches how long someone has been a paying customer, nor should they.  A newb deserves the same amount of courtesy as a veteran (maybe even a little bit more).  Unfortunately, it seems like that level of courtesy is virtually non-existent.
I absolutely agree with this.  A ticket should be handled equally whether a coach has played one game or ten calendar years.  Shouldn't matter.  But we all know that it does matter.  There are certain coaches who totally have Seble's ear and seem to have an undue amount of influence with him.  Not right.  At all.
That's a rather strong accusation at the end of your post there. Please provide evidence.
4/23/2013 12:17 AM

Total agreement with emy on this.  You have to be consistent with treating all coaches the same. Any bias on the length of someone's time in this sim would not be fair.

4/23/2013 12:47 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 4/23/2013 12:17:00 AM (view original):

That's a rather strong accusation at the end of your post there. Please provide evidence.
All you have to do is follow the threads as they come up.  Not hard to figure out.
4/23/2013 12:53 AM (edited)
Posted by coachgunnar on 4/23/2013 12:47:00 AM (view original):

Total agreement with emy on this.  You have to be consistent with treating all coaches the same. Any bias on the length of someone's time in this sim would not be fair.

Damn Coach, you mean we ACTUALLY agree on something?  Stop the presses fellas, the end is near!
4/23/2013 12:50 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/23/2013 12:50:00 AM (view original):

Damn Coach, you mean we ACTUALLY agree on something?  Stop the presses fellas, the end is near!
Emy,  if we don't win it this year at Holy I am pulling for your Post team.  Really.
4/23/2013 12:53 AM
Posted by coachgunnar on 4/23/2013 12:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 4/23/2013 12:50:00 AM (view original):

Emy,  if we don't win it this year at Holy I am pulling for your Post team.  Really.
Ehh, I had my chance last year.  When that team beat me in OT in the final game, a team I really should have run off the court, I think I blew my shot at a title at Post for several seasons.  Everything broke just right last season and I still couldn't close the deal (one damn point, damnit!).  Anyway, thanks for the support and I'll go so far as to say the same thing (kind of, I guess).  If I can't get it done at Post, I hope it's one of our conference teams that does, even Holy Family (despite all our arguments and back-and-forths), ha ha!! 
4/23/2013 12:57 AM
I remember when grades were first rolled out. I was quite happy that all my players got good grades and were never ineligible. 2 full seasons across multiple worlds. And THEN they announced that the trial period was over and the ineligible penalty would now take affect. Not that I'm bitter or remember inconveniences from years ago and all those wasted practice minutes... 
4/23/2013 12:58 AM
Posted by jenningss on 4/23/2013 12:59:00 AM (view original):
I remember when grades were first rolled out. I was quite happy that all my players got good grades and were never ineligible. 2 full seasons across multiple worlds. And THEN they announced that the trial period was over and the ineligible penalty would now take affect. Not that I'm bitter or remember inconveniences from years ago and all those wasted practice minutes... 
You've been around for a LONG time Jenningss.  One of the coaches I respect the most in this game too.
4/23/2013 1:13 AM
sly, I rarely do this, but I've gotta side with WIS on this. You were to relaxed on the SH thing and got burned, and I don't have a problem with CS's response. It's sucks and it's annoying, but hopefully in the next little while you'll calm a bit and stick around. Would be a real shame if you left over something like this.
4/23/2013 7:44 AM

I disagree with both of you here. Should a ticket be handled the same as far as courtesy goes? Of course. Should a ticket be handled the same as far as information goes? Certainly not. A brand new coach would likely see as helpful an answer that older coaches see as patronizing. The veteran coach isn't going to want some comment on general strategy copied from the player's guide but an explanation of why a previously effective strategy is no longer (and in this case, I do think built-in randomness is an acceptable answer). 

Now of course CS doesn't need to do research to figure out what type of coach they're dealing with. But I think the level of detail provided in asking the question is usually a good guide to which kind of answer is more helpful. 
4/23/2013 8:11 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
My time here is coming to an end Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.