Inter-conference Recruiting Battles? Topic

A few years back I played GD pretty regularly, and there was an unspoken rule that you did your very best to avoid recruiting battles against people in your own conference. Is there a similar idea in HD? I just started an awful rebuild at Tusgkegee in Knigt, but I'm having trouble securing cheap recruits because after getting a few recruits to consider me, another coach from my conference has popped up on their radar after a few cycles. I don't have a problem with this if it's the norm, but in GD (a few years ago, at least) this would've been a major faux pas.
4/28/2013 9:25 AM
everyone is fair game
4/28/2013 9:26 AM
Some conference mates will get upset with you, I have had mates upset with me but you have to build the best team you can build.
4/28/2013 10:24 AM
Yeah, depends on the person. I personally don't like getting into a battle with a conference mate, but I'll do it if it's really worth my while. But if there are roughly equivalent players and one is a battle with a non-con coach and one is a battle with a conference coach (assuming similar resources), I'd attack the non-con. 

The only thing that really ****** me off about in-conference recruiting is when someone runs you about dry on a battle that they have obviously no chance of winning. It's irritating in general, but when it happens in conference, it just hurts both teams for no reason. 
4/28/2013 10:59 AM
It depends ... if a conference mate is 350 miles from a recruit that is 10 miles from me and I have a need, then I will get on the considering list early if I want to get the guy.   Just because someone gets on a guy on turn 1, whether he is in conference or not, the recruit is fair game.

By early, I usually mean some time on the evening of recruiting, but certainly by at the latest the 11am Eastern Time on the day before recruiting

I don't normally jump in late on conference mates recruits unless I have been unable to recruit at all because of travel or something like that and had to start on the signing day.  That has only happened 1 time in the 5 years I have been playing, but in that case, i would post in the coaches corner that I have just started recruiting and that I am sorry but I have to sign a class.

The one exception to that is if I have left over cash after signings start and there is a battle ongoing for a recruit.  If 2 or more coaches are battling for a guy and I have significant need and cash after signings start, I might also get in on the battle.  This also does not normally happen as I try to sign the guys I want early on.

So, I would say that as a general rule, I do not battle in conference unless we are both on a guy very early.
4/28/2013 11:30 AM
If you cant defend your recruit from a conference mate and he sees that you are weak well its your own fault. I hate people who cry about getting sniped, by other people or act so shocked when a conf mate does it. 

No one is entitled to a recruit until they sign end of story.
4/28/2013 11:36 AM
Posted by indiansrck27 on 4/28/2013 11:36:00 AM (view original):
If you cant defend your recruit from a conference mate and he sees that you are weak well its your own fault. I hate people who cry about getting sniped, by other people or act so shocked when a conf mate does it. 

I certainly agree with that in principal ...

4/28/2013 11:39 AM
I mean this in the nicest possible way....I don't give a **** about my conference mates.  I recruit the best possible guy I think I will sign.
4/28/2013 11:45 AM
I prefer not to battle conference mates.....but if i like a recruit enough, i'll battle anyone for him with no mercy.
4/28/2013 11:52 AM

I wasn't "crying" about it, but was just asking for what the norm is with inter-conference battles. I'm still fairly inexperienced with HD - it was an honest question, not a complaint.
4/28/2013 12:15 PM
A related question... I'm throwing money at a recruit who is considering an A prestige while I am a C. He's a pulldown and from the get-go told I'm a back-up option. He has rejected my home visit (I got the money back) and rejected my offer of a guaranteed start. He still says I'm a back up and to keep in touch.

I planned to throw a lot more money at him and battle with the A prestige. I know it's risky but A prestige looks spread a little thin. But do I have a shot at all since he has rejected my home visit and guaranteed start? Do I just send those again? Move on?
4/28/2013 12:51 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/28/2013 12:51:00 PM (view original):
A related question... I'm throwing money at a recruit who is considering an A prestige while I am a C. He's a pulldown and from the get-go told I'm a back-up option. He has rejected my home visit (I got the money back) and rejected my offer of a guaranteed start. He still says I'm a back up and to keep in touch.

I planned to throw a lot more money at him and battle with the A prestige. I know it's risky but A prestige looks spread a little thin. But do I have a shot at all since he has rejected my home visit and guaranteed start? Do I just send those again? Move on?
He will call you IF he is recruitable by you.  You can not put in home visits unless you "pull him down" or he "drops down".

To pull him down, you need to use Scouting Trips (Scouting Trips are not refused and have some recruiting value). It normally takes 10-15 scouting trips (I normally start with 12) to pull a guy down.

He may eventually drop down.

Personally, unless you have some major advantage (you have 6 scholarhips and the other guy has only 1 or 2, you are significantly closer, he is losing battles for a large number of recruits, etc.) then I would move on.  Especially at Div-3 ... there are generally some good undecided recruits available at Div-3.
4/28/2013 1:09 PM (edited)
Posted by bbunch on 4/28/2013 11:52:00 AM (view original):
I prefer not to battle conference mates.....but if i like a recruit enough, i'll battle anyone for him with no mercy.
+1
4/28/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by mbriese on 4/28/2013 12:15:00 PM (view original):

I wasn't "crying" about it, but was just asking for what the norm is with inter-conference battles. I'm still fairly inexperienced with HD - it was an honest question, not a complaint.
I wasnt referring to you at all. That was a blanket statement about my feelings on the matter.
4/28/2013 1:18 PM
Posted by indiansrck27 on 4/28/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 4/28/2013 12:15:00 PM (view original):

I wasnt referring to you at all. That was a blanket statement about my feelings on the matter.
There are often complaints when a somebody's recruit gets poached by a conference mate, it's good that you are here to find out about it now instead being one of those people later!
4/28/2013 1:56 PM
12345 Next ▸
Inter-conference Recruiting Battles? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.