Scholarship message lie? Topic

Posted by coach_billyg on 5/2/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
i would really send a ticket on this, based on the explanations of how the game works, this should be impossible. considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind. we have consistently been told that a sim will only spend effort up front on kids, and then again later on kids who are not contested. i think when "kids later who are not contested" was added, a bug was introduced, allowing sims to compete against you later - as others have said, this issue has come up before. it would be nice to have a straight answer from seble as to why. (when i say a bug, it could also be that we were given incorrect information, and its working as intended)

im pretty sure you still have to get a scholarship message when effort changes, and that scholarships and WOTS message are still consistent. it has always been the case that the "tight" scholarship message had a lower threshold than the "tight" WOTS message. i think its just a matter of sims doing something we have always been told does not happen.

the guys who make comments about, well, you didnt contact him for a few cycles - that has nothing to do with anything, in HD recruiting.
Yes, this.
5/2/2013 2:33 PM
i would really send a ticket on this, based on the explanations of how the game works, this should be impossible. considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind. we have consistently been told that a sim will only spend effort up front on kids, and then again later on kids who are not contested. i think when "kids later who are not contested" was added, a bug was introduced, allowing sims to compete against you later - as others have said, this issue has come up before. it would be nice to have a straight answer from seble as to why. (when i say a bug, it could also be that we were given incorrect information, and its working as intended)

im pretty sure you still have to get a scholarship message when effort changes, and that scholarships and WOTS message are still consistent. it has always been the case that the "tight" scholarship message had a lower threshold than the "tight" WOTS message. i think its just a matter of sims doing something we have always been told does not happen.

the guys who make comments about, well, you didnt contact him for a few cycles - that has nothing to do with anything, in HD recruiting.
Considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind? So you're saying that if you're leading a SIM you cannot lose to the SIM. That seems way off.
5/2/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 5/2/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):

Considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind? So you're saying that if you're leading a SIM you cannot lose to the SIM. That seems way off.
This is how I have always seen it explained mechanics wise. Thank billyg, everything you said is exactly what was going through my mind during the entire process, and that is what guided all of my actions in the recruiting process. I sent in a ticket this morning and will let you guys know what they tell me so we can hopefully at the very least have a concrete answer.
5/2/2013 3:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by craigaltonw on 5/2/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):

That's how it has always been in the past. Once you take the lead you aren't supposed to lose to the sim unless you do something like pull the scholarship or inform of redshirt.
5/2/2013 3:13 PM
If the usual argument is that this game isn't like real life, then this is an area that is VERY realistic. What would suck is that they verbal to you and find a way to backtrack if a big school comes calling :)
5/2/2013 3:49 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/2/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's correct that considering credit can't bring a sim from behind; in fact, I think that's exactly what happened.  There is a lot of bad information in this thread.  Sims absolutely don't put in extra effort on guys that are still on their lists late in recruiting.  Don't believe that.  And sending effort until you knock the sim off or even get the FSS message putting you ahead is a huge waste of money.  What I do, if I can afford it, is send one more HV after I get the scholarship message telling me I'm ahead, if I can afford it.  Bump that up to D1 and you might want to send 1-2 CV or 3-4 HV to be safe, that's probably overkill, and you could experiment with it, but if you're more interested in recruiting reasonably successfully than coming up with the perfect method to beat sims then in the short term you certainly come out ahead going with safe over marginal.  I don't think anybody knows the exact value of considering credit, it's maybe worth a few percent at most, so I guess maybe take a few percent of whatever effort it took to put you ahead and add that.

Something is obviously broken, since whenever you go behind you SHOULD get a scholarship message.  But it seems that when leadership changes as a result of considering credit you don't get one.  Been a problem for a while now...

i think you have the wrong concept of considering credit. because a thread came up a few weeks back, and i was one of the only people (probably the only person, really) who proposed the simple model -
considering credit is a % based increase in effort over time, applied each cycle after a certain "waiting period"

as opposed to a convoluted, complex model where after 24 hours you get this, 48 hours you get that, or something along those lines... because of that, i sent a ticket, and seble confirmed i had proposed the correct model of considering credit. he also confirmed that he could not think of any case where considering credit could cause a come-from-behind win, i asked that specifically. i was 95% sure of that considering credit model in the first place, so with seble's confirmation on top, im pretty sure thats the answer.

anyway, i agree that you shouldnt need to knock the sim off. however, i disagree that there is no way the sim is spending more. i know they didn't in the past. however, these issues have been cropping up for a while (the exact same issue presented in this thread), and the time frame IMO is not that different from when sim recruiting patterns were changed a couple years back. so from where im standing, either there is a bug, or sims are spending more. i could see it going either way.
5/2/2013 4:48 PM (edited)
also i disagree with your assessment of the maximum value of considering credit
5/2/2013 4:47 PM
CS is just going to tell you that when a player really likes both schools you will both get messages that you're ahead beacuse the kid loves both places. 
5/2/2013 4:49 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 5/2/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
CS is just going to tell you that when a player really likes both schools you will both get messages that you're ahead beacuse the kid loves both places. 
thats a terrible answer that was only given to 1 person, and who knows who gave it to them, if it was seble or the mastermind behind "heaven sakes, hes a junior! you only started him 4 games!"

i guess i would like to hope that a better answer could be had. OP - if you get such an answer, its probably not seble, and you can get seble by responding "please make sure this goes to seble" with something like "i am looking for a more detailed response, i already hashed this out with a bunch of long time users, and people agree something fishy is going on - and everybody would really appreciate the clarification" - then seble will usually answer and he usually tries to be helpful. seble may have his flaws, but he does legitimately care and legitimately wants to be helpful, so i think you'll get something good the 2nd time around, if not the 1st.
5/2/2013 5:32 PM

I believe coach_billg is right on this.  The only problem is...well...he's explaining how it ought to work.  Quite clearly, some part of this explanation, perhaps having to do with the 'bug' that he mentions, is wrong.  
5/2/2013 9:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It's ok get nuts, I am still waiting for a response lol
5/3/2013 1:08 AM
Ehh, I'm not going to clog up your thread with BS, deleting my previous posts.
5/3/2013 1:44 AM
It's ok! I got a sweet walk on with 100 work ethic instead http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2450919
5/3/2013 2:47 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Scholarship message lie? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.