Scholarship message lie? Topic

I was just competing with a SIM for a player. I put in money until I got this message "Coach, you've sold me on Cornell! Unless something changes between now and the signing period, you can count on me playing for you next season.

Melvin Coachman".

After that I put my efforts into other players and waited for Coachman to sign. I never got another Scholarship message. Then I woke up this morning and he was signed by the SIM team....

If I am either confused about how SIM recruiting works, or if scholarship messages shouldn't be taken as seriously as I thought please someone let me know. I have been playing the game a while but I still regard myself as a noob, and if I was just an idiot someone please just tell me so haha.

5/2/2013 11:23 AM (edited)
I could be totally wrong (if so someone correct me) but that message means to me that you are ahead. As for SIMS I have noticed that they now compete for players even on the last day, perhaps even the last cycle. I dont remember them doing so late before until past 3-4 seasons.
5/2/2013 11:38 AM
Curious....was he considering only you? Or was the SIM still on his list?
5/2/2013 11:44 AM
The SIM was still on his list, but I never got a new message about losing the lead.
5/2/2013 11:45 AM

It seems you can't rely on scholly messages anymore. What did FSS say? I have gotten positive scholly messages and FSS will continue to say "struggling between..." I've decided to rely more on FSS now because it seems scholly messages have become more inconsistent lately. I know other coaches disagree, but I just feel there was once a time that the scholly message alligned completely with FSS depending on when the effort was accepted as well as receiving consistent scholly messages when I moved further ahead or behind. Just doesn't seem like this happens anymore.

5/2/2013 11:52 AM
Yea it still said struggling. I was always told to value scholly messages the most, lesson learned I guess.
5/2/2013 11:55 AM
"Unless something changes between now and the signing period".... It sounds like something changed.

If you let the recruit go several cycles without contacting him, I don't think it's uncommon that you don't hear back.

5/2/2013 11:58 AM
Is this the last day of signings in Naismith?  I believe that battles get resolved on the 8 am cycle on the final day.  The 2 possibilities are that the sim had some sort of considering credit applied prior to the signing (as the sim had been on him from the very beginning, no doubt), I think that sims do put effort in on the last day, but I didn't think that effort started until later in the day and only on undecided players (I could be wrong), or you were just barely ahead and let it languish in a "struggling" phase without contacting the recruit for too long.  
5/2/2013 12:01 PM
This has been an ongoing issue for several months now... you used to ALWAYS get an email when the scholly status changed, and now you don't always get one. If it's close, you'd better add effort. 

If you search the forum you'll find several other similar recent threads. 
5/2/2013 12:03 PM
its never over till they put on your jersey.  i never stop calling them no matter if i am in lead or only school  being considered.  maybe a waste of money but up till this point i havent lost a recruit who promises to sign.   sorry you lost him
5/2/2013 12:04 PM
If he was ahead and then lost the recruit he should have gotten some negative scholly messages to alert him to what was going on... The only thing I can think that happened, since this is a SIM, is that the SIM went in hard with effort and just totally knocked you off if you were not putting any more effort in. SIMS recruit big in the beginning and again close to signing period... This is why it's best to knock SIM's totally off players so you don't have to worry about them putting in that extreme effort.
5/2/2013 12:04 PM
Heh alright thanks guys. Guess I just screwed up and didn't have the knowledge on the situation that I thought I did.
5/2/2013 12:06 PM
Th biggest thing here for you to remember is that Sim is still going to go after the guy if sim is being considered still. The fact that the guy did not sign right away means you had the lead based on scholarship message, but the lead was not as big as you thought and when you stopped contacting him, Sim likely made a push.
5/2/2013 12:18 PM
It used to be that you "always" got a scholarship message if the player's "status" had changed.  It appears, from several people starting threads recently, that may no longer be the case.  It should and it needs fixed.  Until then, probably best to try to knock the Sim completely off the considering list.  That way there's no doubt.
5/2/2013 12:36 PM
i would really send a ticket on this, based on the explanations of how the game works, this should be impossible. considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind. we have consistently been told that a sim will only spend effort up front on kids, and then again later on kids who are not contested. i think when "kids later who are not contested" was added, a bug was introduced, allowing sims to compete against you later - as others have said, this issue has come up before. it would be nice to have a straight answer from seble as to why. (when i say a bug, it could also be that we were given incorrect information, and its working as intended)

im pretty sure you still have to get a scholarship message when effort changes, and that scholarships and WOTS message are still consistent. it has always been the case that the "tight" scholarship message had a lower threshold than the "tight" WOTS message. i think its just a matter of sims doing something we have always been told does not happen.

the guys who make comments about, well, you didnt contact him for a few cycles - that has nothing to do with anything, in HD recruiting.
5/2/2013 2:29 PM (edited)
1234 Next ▸
Scholarship message lie? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.