Scholarship message lie? Topic

Posted by rogelio on 5/2/2013 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coach_billyg on 5/2/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
i would really send a ticket on this, based on the explanations of how the game works, this should be impossible. considering credit cannot bring a sim from behind. we have consistently been told that a sim will only spend effort up front on kids, and then again later on kids who are not contested. i think when "kids later who are not contested" was added, a bug was introduced, allowing sims to compete against you later - as others have said, this issue has come up before. it would be nice to have a straight answer from seble as to why. (when i say a bug, it could also be that we were given incorrect information, and its working as intended)

im pretty sure you still have to get a scholarship message when effort changes, and that scholarships and WOTS message are still consistent. it has always been the case that the "tight" scholarship message had a lower threshold than the "tight" WOTS message. i think its just a matter of sims doing something we have always been told does not happen.

the guys who make comments about, well, you didnt contact him for a few cycles - that has nothing to do with anything, in HD recruiting.
I believe coach_billg is right on this.  The only problem is...well...he's explaining how it ought to work.  Quite clearly, some part of this explanation, perhaps having to do with the 'bug' that he mentions, is wrong.  
thats really what im saying. based on the explanations we got, this is impossible, so there is a problem and its worth trying to get an answer from seble. im pretty sure its NOT that scholarship messages are dysfunctional, generally speaking, but thats just my opinion. im almost positive its not considering credit too, i really would be surprised if the sim was not acting later and there was some bug associated with that. it makes sense the sims could go for a target again later, if you are trying to think like seble, i really think the smart money is on that...
5/3/2013 11:07 AM
Posted by taniajane on 5/3/2013 12:17:00 AM (view original):
Fact I have found sims are acting differently......people can joke about "I love it when guys give advice on things that they have absolutely no experience with.  Love it."

That is not been my expierence or many others here lately...they will battle later...even if not considered, fact you have not seen it....shrugs....apparantly you dont know it.
Thank you taniajane, they can say someone has no experience and criticize, but the fact of the matter is that it does happen now regardless of whether it happened before. I've had guys I was leading on and ran out of money only to see sim come back later and get him. I'm sure the lead was slim, but still the same result.

BillyG, I understand what it says in the FAQ that all sim spending is in the first cycle, but is it possible it is out of date? 
5/3/2013 12:12 PM
If I'm right, and the events had to do with the resolution of a battle on the final day of recruiting, then the most likely issue is with some aspect of the algorithm by which those battles are resolved.  Perhaps sims have started spending money at that cycle, but I suspect that it has more to do with the resolution of battles itself.  I believe that would also explain why there is no additional scholarship email received, noting the change of heart, prior to losing the battle.  

Personally, I don't know that it's a bad thing all-in-all, but CS probably should give a clear answer that the issue is intentional and whether it has anything to do with the Sim spending, or being treated as having spent, recruiting budget to win that battle. 
5/3/2013 12:37 PM
If it's out of date, and therefore straight up lying, you don't find anything wrong with that? I would rather be spending my 12 bucks a season going in blind in a trial by fire than being fed misinformation by the people I'm paying and getting screwed by it.
5/3/2013 12:38 PM
The biggest problem I have here is the misinformation. If I knew this was possible at all I had a ton more money to throw at the kid. I'm honestly getting a little antsy waiting for my answer. How long do these things take to get responded to??
5/3/2013 12:40 PM
Posted by tacokisses on 5/3/2013 12:38:00 PM (view original):
If it's out of date, and therefore straight up lying, you don't find anything wrong with that? I would rather be spending my 12 bucks a season going in blind in a trial by fire than being fed misinformation by the people I'm paying and getting screwed by it.
I'm not sure I agree with your premise in full, but I certainly would be in favor of an update of all the FAQ, etc.  I haven't read the information to which you refer (at least not recently) to know whether it is stated in absolute terms, that, if you get ahead by a very slight margin on a Sim, then you cannot lose.  

In the situation that you describe, I probably use my funds slightly less efficiently.  That is, if I think the recruit is worth the battle at all, then I have some concern that some other human coach will think the same.  No claim of poaching once a couple rounds of signings have passed and the FSS msg is left to read "struggling".  I guess that's a rare eventuality, but I'm a little paranoid.
5/3/2013 12:46 PM
I would have been paranoid about a human coach, but it actually took WAY more money to take the lead on the SIM than I expected. Nobody was going to throw 35k on a dude a D- and sim were battling for lol.
5/3/2013 12:50 PM
Oh...you're at Cornell in D1...now I understand why you're so ****** off.
5/3/2013 12:55 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/3/2013 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Fact I have found sims are acting differently......people can joke about "I love it when guys give advice on things that they have absolutely no experience with.  Love it."

That is not been my expierence or many others here lately...they will battle later...even if not considered, fact you have not seen it....shrugs....apparantly you dont know it.
Thank you taniajane, they can say someone has no experience and criticize, but the fact of the matter is that it does happen now regardless of whether it happened before. I've had guys I was leading on and ran out of money only to see sim come back later and get him. I'm sure the lead was slim, but still the same result.

BillyG, I understand what it says in the FAQ that all sim spending is in the first cycle, but is it possible it is out of date? 
that is out of date, as has been pointed out in this thread, sims do a subsequent round of recruit later on, after signings, to fill spots. however, sims are not supposed to put more money into a recruit they targeted early, after the first cycle. thats not based on the FAQ but what CS has told us since. i think its possibly inaccurate, thats what i am suggesting is the most likely culprit. the FAQ is often out of date, but the problem here is the MOST RECENT information from CS conclusively implies this scenario here is impossible, yet its come up a number of times. so obviously, either something they told us is inaccurate, or there is a bug. my money is on sims doing more effort later, but i have no way of knowing for sure.
5/3/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by rogelio on 5/3/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
If I'm right, and the events had to do with the resolution of a battle on the final day of recruiting, then the most likely issue is with some aspect of the algorithm by which those battles are resolved.  Perhaps sims have started spending money at that cycle, but I suspect that it has more to do with the resolution of battles itself.  I believe that would also explain why there is no additional scholarship email received, noting the change of heart, prior to losing the battle.  

Personally, I don't know that it's a bad thing all-in-all, but CS probably should give a clear answer that the issue is intentional and whether it has anything to do with the Sim spending, or being treated as having spent, recruiting budget to win that battle. 
you dont need to get a scholarship message to indicate you are losing if the effort causes the player to sign immediately. then, you just get a scholarship message indicating you lost. thats how it works for human/human battles, too.
5/3/2013 2:30 PM
So the SIM waited for 2 days to overtake me, then did so in a fashion that made him instant sign???
5/3/2013 3:22 PM
Posted by tacokisses on 5/3/2013 3:22:00 PM (view original):
So the SIM waited for 2 days to overtake me, then did so in a fashion that made him instant sign???
Yep. Obviously SIMs are not putting all of their recruiting effort jn at the first cycle.
5/3/2013 4:01 PM
Thanks for the info Mr. 8-40 lifetime, any other tips?
5/3/2013 4:17 PM
Posted by tacokisses on 5/3/2013 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the info Mr. 8-40 lifetime, any other tips?
Yep. Brush your teeth twice a day and don't forget to use deodorant.
5/3/2013 4:30 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/3/2013 12:12:00 PM (view original):

The quote Taniajane was responding to was mine and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the way Sims recruit.  None.  I deleted it because I really didn't want to get into a ******* contest over nothing, but since it has been so badly misinterpreted, here's the answer.

The quote about "giving advice on things they have absolutely no experience with" was directed at a coach who was giving advice on recruiting at a particular level, when he's never had a team at that particular level, not for a single day, let alone enough seasons to know what recruiting at that level is all about.  Didn't have a THING to do with Sim recruiting.  None.

So now that you've been properly informed on what that quote meant, think you guys can relax just a bit?  Yes, there HAS been a change.  In fact, I agreed that there was a problem earlier in the thread.  Great, great job reading into something that was totally wrong there detective.  Made me lose just a little faith in our men in blue.  Makes it even worse that Poncho is "thanking him" for something that was totally *** backward.  So, no, my quote was not incorrect and here you sit "thanking him" for trying to be a smartass, "shrugs", "fact you have not seen it", "apparently (I'll go ahead and spell it right) you don't know", all while he's absolutely butchering the meaning of the statement.  Abso-frickin-lutely AWESOME Sherlock!!!  Shrugs....birds of a feather......shrugs again.....apparently SOMEONE doesn't know, but guess what.......(whispers just loud enough to be heard).......it ain't me....shrugs one last time and mumbles under his breath.....if he can dick that simple statement up THAT BAD, I hope he wasn't REALLY a cop......rolls eyes......have a nice night (and don't read too deeply into that one Einstein, that's for real).   
5/3/2013 11:34 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Scholarship message lie? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.