DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Logain your trade with tar had other ripple effects as well, he was able to snag both Faried and Drummond, no way he gets them both with his own 6th, and may not have gotten either.
5/14/2013 7:33 PM
I think my trade is the reason ash got stuck with Nate McMillan too.. though he did trade away stockton.

Which by the way, I had planned from the start to draft about 17 or 18.. and take Magic. Then pickup Stockton on the way down.

I could have done that.. but i just couldn't leave Paul sitting on the board at my pick which led to the trade. Plus you never know if Stockton will make it back to 30 or whatever... sometimes he goes top of the 2nd.. he even went top 15 once that I remember.
5/14/2013 8:27 PM
Posted by natenoy on 5/14/2013 7:33:00 PM (view original):
Logain your trade with tar had other ripple effects as well, he was able to snag both Faried and Drummond, no way he gets them both with his own 6th, and may not have gotten either.
I do feel like tarheel maybe wasted the deal a bit with his 4th round picks though.. Roy and Brandon are not always even drafted.
5/14/2013 8:28 PM
Posted by logain on 5/14/2013 8:27:00 PM (view original):
I think my trade is the reason ash got stuck with Nate McMillan too.. though he did trade away stockton.

Which by the way, I had planned from the start to draft about 17 or 18.. and take Magic. Then pickup Stockton on the way down.

I could have done that.. but i just couldn't leave Paul sitting on the board at my pick which led to the trade. Plus you never know if Stockton will make it back to 30 or whatever... sometimes he goes top of the 2nd.. he even went top 15 once that I remember.
chris_snid actually drafted magic in the 1st and stockton in the 2nd a few drafts ago....used 81-82 magic and had a very good team much to everyones surprise

i would have liked your trade soooo much better if you didnt take rondo in the 3rd

5/14/2013 8:48 PM
yeah, my figuring was based on 24 point guards being taken in the first 5 rounds... not 26.  I think whether or not logain's stateeeegary works out for him, it definitely messed me up!
5/14/2013 8:51 PM
I was actually going to take Deron WIlliams or Nash in the 3rd.. but I think I made people nervous and they got drafted early >.>
5/14/2013 9:14 PM
Posted by logain on 5/14/2013 9:14:00 PM (view original):
I was actually going to take Deron WIlliams or Nash in the 3rd.. but I think I made people nervous and they got drafted early >.>
cp3/nash/magic is scary....glad you didnt get him
5/14/2013 9:47 PM
Posted by logain on 5/14/2013 8:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by natenoy on 5/14/2013 7:33:00 PM (view original):
I do feel like tarheel maybe wasted the deal a bit with his 4th round picks though.. Roy and Brandon are not always even drafted.
Yeah, I'd somewhat agree with that, but like I said I intend for this team to be in a test in a lot of ways. I like to draft different style teams from draft to draft (of course with generally the same underlying principles). But like nate said, no way I'd get both or either of Drummond/Faried in 6th, so it helped me beef up my frontcourt.

So, here's the thinking of what I'm trying out here, specifically with the Roy/Brandon backcourt:

-1st, I have a suspicion that, despite what most think and what we've been told, total usg%/fga are still important along with the usage tiers. I'm thinking that a 26.5% usg and 22.5% usg player do not affect team fg%/possession penalties exactly the same. So, I have a team here that, by normal "tiers" standards, is too high on usage and should be wasting some (19 points in starting lineup - it does go lower w/ bench players, though). However, I think the total usg (I believe starting lineup is around 113%) is pretty appropriate, maybe just a touch high, but pretty close to the 110% total I think is optimal for a team running uptempo (as pretty much all my teams do). I think having some "extra" usage will help my team as a whole perform a little better from the field than they would otherwise.

-2nd, I'm interested in probing at how the SIM assigns individual defenders and the effect that has on individual players' efficiency. One interesting thing about Roy and Brandon is that they have the exact same usage and are pretty close in efficiency. So I think it will be interesting to see who draws the better defender (when, as with most teams, the PG and SG are interchangeable defensively), and if it's always the same guy. Does the SIM simply assign the best defender to the highest-usage player? To the most efficient? Maybe some combo formula of the two? I'm not sure which player will be considered to have the higher usage (BBall ref says Brandon had slightly higher usage, but their numbers are always slightly different), but I'm assuming at some level of the SIM they're decimal points different (maybe not). If they're considered even, I'd expect Roy, the higher-efg% player, to draw the matchup (but their ts% are actually exactly identical according to bball ref), if they're considered to have exact same usage and efficiency is either the tiebreaker or the sole measure. But anyway, point is that (1) I expect one guy to always or almost always draw the better defender and (2) I expect one to produce significantly more efficiently (like 3% better efg, maybe). It will be interesting to see if it happens.

-3rd, I'll be watching turnovers carefully with this team. I've lamented before that it seems to be very difficult to significantly change the # of TO an uptempo team commits, with seriously diminishing returns when trying to draft low TO. Here, my two highest-usage players (Brandon and Roy) have exceptionally low turnovers for their level of usage, but I also feature a player with very high turnovers for his usage (Buck). I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of the guards turn it over more than Buck, though, because high usage players seem to be affected much more by uptempo. But this team overall might have a decent shot at putting up pretty low TO, since all the usage should keep anyone from ever being in the penalty.

So - that's why I think this team will be fun to track. Should have the D to not let other teams' scoring mess up the experiment too much, although we'll be a little weak in the backcourt. Should have plenty of OReb, too, to grab misses from Roy and Brandon. We'll see what happens.

5/14/2013 10:22 PM
Faried 12-13 is a steal this late (55% 12/21 sf100%) - if Marques wasnt there he was my starting 3
5/14/2013 10:36 PM
....and tarheel wins the award for best post of the commentary thread

its pretty amazing how similar roy is to brandon...i never noticed it before....guess ive just always overlooked roy...very curious to see who draws the better defender and how that players stats compare to the one getting the weaker defender...i always assumed it went by usage...i wonder what the tie-breaker will be

i agree about total usg%....i pretty much only use the tiers to make sure none of my lineups go under 10 points....never really been concerned with total usg points on the floor outside of that

it will also be in interesting to see how many more topg the player drawing the better defender gets

5/14/2013 10:44 PM
Posted by felonius on 5/14/2013 10:37:00 PM (view original):
Faried 12-13 is a steal this late (55% 12/21 sf100%) - if Marques wasnt there he was my starting 3
if he uses the lucas/buck/mchale i think he is then he is gonna have to use the 11-12 version
5/14/2013 10:45 PM
That team looks to be tough to beat to me tarheel. But it will be interesting to see what happens when our team meet. Moses and Gasol will do well against Lucas but against Buck not so much. Either Hardaway or Drexler will do well against Roy. Having 2 starters in this League in Lucas and Roy at about 50 defense that both play 37 plus minutes a game normally isn't a good thing. But the front court offensive efficiency from top to bottom is unbelievable man. I wouldn't be surprised to see your team win close to 40 home games. The main problem that I see for the squad is what happens when Roy and Brandon both shoot at around 40% against certain opponents. I hope that your team is in the other division. Have I drafted well enough to move to the end of your division selection list LOL? 
5/14/2013 10:49 PM
as far as benefits from overusage... I did an experiment with Shaq (6 points, 30ish usage), Mailman (6 points, 30ish usage) & Lebron (8 points, 34% usage).

Turnovers didn't go down... they were just as high as ever.  The difference was that none of them took as many fgas as they did IRL (and no where close to FTAs)... so I over payed for increased turnovers.  Makes zero sense, eh?

(fg% was a wash, by the way.  Saw no bumps there, either)

5/14/2013 10:56 PM
check oout my cavs team for similar results
5/14/2013 10:57 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/14/2013 10:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by felonius on 5/14/2013 10:37:00 PM (view original):
if he uses the lucas/buck/mchale i think he is then he is gonna have to use the 11-12 version
then that was kind of a wasted pick (great stats but for only 1200 minutes or so right?)

edit: forgot that was essentially his 6th round pick
5/14/2013 11:03 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...37 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.