DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Well mikee1 just made his first great pick since Wilt by getting Ersan Ilyasova. Not that I have anything against Payton or Pierce but I don't like that combo in this league. Too many missed shots and no high EFG% 4 usage point or better players to balance that out. However, I do love the Anthony Mason pick. 
5/16/2013 10:02 PM
Thanks for the eval Vance. I was looking for high D high efg adequate boards in the 2nd, I almost took Buck Williams there, but his high foul rate made me opt for Chandler. Daugherty and Sabonis have a high enough fga/min ratio that I think I'm ok on points. I came very close to adding a 6-point usage SG after I changed my mind on Birdman, but Korver's 12-13 season looked like a nice fit. There are two 3-point shooters out there that I like to use and still may go with less Korver to take one of them. One of the two undrafted guys has an efg in the 57-59 range but had an efg like 68% for me two seasons back here. The other has a fga/min ratio over .420 and efg over 55, since Deron is under .400 fga/min I know if I add that guy he'll shoot a ton of threes for me. Plus I have a few more min to add inn the backup SF/PF department, so I may bulk up a little more in the ponts department, but I'm not willing to trade off too much efg to get there. Hopefully someone other than tar drafts us both for his division, then we can continue our debate 8 times on the court. My team may not be near the elite level yet, but I did look at far more factors when putting this one together, I feel like its my best effort to date, but yea I may have left myself too short on points and end up being forced to go hc, likely meaning a 38-44 win team, or it may balance out as planned and I can give a good run at a division, either way I'm sure there is more to learn this time around as well.
5/16/2013 10:04 PM
Posted by vancem on 5/16/2013 10:02:00 PM (view original):
Well mikee1 just made his first great pick since Wilt by getting Ersan Ilyasova. Not that I have anything against Payton or Pierce but I don't like that combo in this league. Too many missed shots and no high EFG% 4 usage point or better players to balance that out. However, I do love the Anthony Mason pick. 
Believe it or not, I'm actually in a salary crunch now. Going to get creative with the backups.
5/16/2013 10:07 PM
Posted by felonius on 5/16/2013 9:48:00 PM (view original):
vance ash or whoever (even 98) I'd like to hear evaluations - I'l share my thoughts if you share yours
DH is doing evals on page one in the original post, fyi.  Here's my thoughts on your squad:

24. felonius - Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen, Marques Johnson, Robert Parish, Michael Redd, Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut

Duncan goes right where he should.  He has an extremely good season to build around, but the lack of minutes (only about 2700 I think) for that season with what he actually brings pushes him to a late 1st/early 2nd grade for me.  Therefore you took him at a perfect time.  I'm not a huge Pippen fan generally (I'm still hung up on efg%, which he's kinda average, and I've never liked his contributions to the foul game.  However, he does play great defense, give out plenty of dimes & boards well for a SG (and can cover PG on defense well), so I think this is a pretty good spot to grab him.  He also gives you 10 usage points with Duncan without taking too many possessions away from the Big Fundamental.  Marques is underrated.  He can give you a really great offensive season OR give you a solid utility season at the 3.  I assume you're using the latter.  I like it.  Chief in 4 was a steal.  Bogut's a great rotation guy up front, Iggy gives you solid possession control while he's in there, and he & pippen combined can help hide Redd's weak defense (who is, imo, one of the best offensive players in the sim).

All in all, I like the possession battle edge going to you.  I think you'll be competitive but not dominant in the shooting struggle.  I think you're weak in the foul factor but not so weak to cause you to lose excessively.  Overall, I feel like this is a winning squad and should finish above .500.  Unless, of course, the primate curse falls upon you.

5/17/2013 4:03 AM
Posted by mikee1 on 5/16/2013 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vancem on 5/16/2013 10:02:00 PM (view original):
Believe it or not, I'm actually in a salary crunch now. Going to get creative with the backups.
LOL as long as I been in this league I never been in a salary crunch, in fact the opposite trying to find ways to spend money.  I do believe we should lower the cap but surely I'm in the minority on that.
5/17/2013 6:28 AM
Ash, your thoughts please:

3. theyard - Michael Jordan, Marcus Camby, Larry Nance, Kevin Johnson, Samuel Dalembert, Lamar Odom, Carmelo Anthony
5/17/2013 7:32 AM
          efg oreb dreb ast stl blk def
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
71-72 Bucks
       29.1         58.1       22.9        57.6 12.2 21.9 10.7 1.4 3.4 73
Bob McAdoo
73-74 Braves 25.1 55.5 35.9 55.4 8.7 24.1 5.7 1 3.8 73
Nick Anderson 94-95 Magic 19.1 52.5 41.3 57.3 3.8 10 13.8 2.1 0.5 62
Steve Nash 06-07 Suns 23 57.3 45.3 61.3 1.3 9.2 38.7 0.9 0.1 35
Chris Andersen 09-10 Nuggets 10.9 56.9 0 56.6 9.7 21.3 2.5 1.1 4.9 94

35.7  86.5     71.4     6.5     12.7     67.4

5/17/2013 8:12 AM (edited)
Thanks for all the enjoyable evals, dh.  I completely agree with your assessment of my squad.  Each of the guys I drafted belongs in this league but my strategy fell apart when Kemp wasn't available and (picking on the run and not wanting to hold up the draft further) I couldn't find another rebounding, efficient inside scorer with reasonably high usage who wasn't an awful defender.  My front line will be porous in this league.  We'll win some games by cleaning the glass and taking reasonable care of the ball, especially when J.R. catches fire, but this is a bubble team.
5/17/2013 8:10 AM
We'll see what happens.  I've never ignored defense this much, but I love the eFG I'll have top to bottom.   I'll get killed on the boards some games, but I'd rather make the shot than worry about the rebound.  I think this will be a fun team with 45+ wins if my defense can hold up.  No reason it can't from what I've seen lately.
5/17/2013 8:11 AM
Am I the only one who's surprised Reggie Miller lasted until the end of the 6th round?
5/17/2013 8:11 AM
Yeah.. and my sg from last year.. who always gets picked.. didnt. Plus a certain rebounding stud. New stats.. newbie owners.. psycho logain strategy..
5/17/2013 8:27 AM
I turned in my rankings for the division draft. I'm sure dh will share them later. Let me say now I had a really hard time doing this.. I basically broke it down as

Bad teams - I think I found 4

Teams that are a good matchup for my squad (bad backourt defense or weaker rebounding that won't play volleyball when Jalen Rose is in at the 4) 

Teams that are a bad matchup for me.. or will play half court and make my box scores ugly

Teams I am scared of with owner's that scare me

I basically divided the teams into these tiers and then sorted the tiers by owner reputation in my mind..  and I am pretty sure I did a shoddy job even at that. 

I take solace in the fact that everyone last year did a **** poor job of division drafting too! 

5/17/2013 8:44 AM (edited)
who's the 4th drafter besides me, dh, and logain? and who are we sending them to, since dh is one of the drafters?
5/17/2013 9:06 AM
I sent them to dh anyway.. and i think it's tricky
5/17/2013 9:20 AM
Yea it's tricky. Good point tarheel. I didn't even think how that might be unfair. I wouldn't use it to my advantage but i guess we could just let someone else collect them.
5/17/2013 10:07 AM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...37 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.