Losing your own FA with max offer? Topic

Has anyone ever offered the max to their own free agent and lost the player? WIS says there's a free agent decision bonus for current team when offers are identical, but I'm not sure quite how much that counts for.

Here's my situation: I am entering an offseason with a worldbreaking type position player likely to declare for FA and he's obviously going to get multiple max offers, including from my own team. I'm in the Santa Fe hitter paradise with a 100 win team and a 90 hitting coach so I have most of the stated tiebreaker criteria anyways, but it would help me sleep easier the next few weeks to know that it's just a flat lock that I'll have him back...
5/7/2013 12:39 AM
It's not a lock.
5/7/2013 8:12 AM
yes. i and many other people have lost their player to a max deal from another team
5/7/2013 8:47 AM
How many years have you had him on your team?

Loyalty means nothing until after 5 years, so you're asking the wrong question.

You need to know whether anyone has ever lost a FA to whom they offered the max deal after that player had been with them for (at least) the entire prior 5 seasons.

If you ask that question, I suspect you won't have anyone answer "yes" - check that, I suspect you won't have anyone answer "yes" and be able to back it up (people will always say "yes").

If you haven't had him for 5+ seasons, budget accordingly. Is 90 the best hitting coach available? If not, cut him loose and go get the very best guy.

With pitchers it is pitching coach and bullpen coach that win; hitters it is hitting coach and... fielding and 1B/3B? Just fielding? Just 1B/3B? I'm not sure. I haven't had to worry about signing a hitter to a max deal before.
5/7/2013 9:34 AM (edited)
And wow, I'm not sure hitters are worth max deals, but  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Leo Egan may make me re-think that.
5/7/2013 9:36 AM
He's definately a max deal player
5/7/2013 11:44 AM
Normally I'll see video game numbers like his and laugh at the world, but playing that guy in Santa Fe makes it all seem reasonable.

Holy crap.
5/7/2013 12:09 PM
Phhhtttt.  He can't run bases for ****.  

However, I find it interesting that he cleared waivers.   How the hell does that happen?
5/7/2013 12:16 PM
maybe he was waived after the deadline and tj said 'whoever claims him, i expect 3 studs in return for him even tho he may not re-sign with your team after this season ends'. but i'd still claim him.
5/7/2013 1:01 PM
31 teams passed.   31 teams should have claimed him.   It's that simple regardless of what his owner says.
5/7/2013 1:03 PM
I mass revocable waive after the deadline, after 11 seasons nobody bothers to claim Leo because, well, I'm obviously not trading him...
5/7/2013 2:28 PM
I'd claim him anyway.   Never say never.
5/7/2013 3:41 PM
What did Colorado get in return?
5/7/2013 3:59 PM
Unless the guy waived his entire team.  I would be claiming other guys instead of him - guys that may actually get traded to me.  Also, that rule needs to be changed.
5/7/2013 4:01 PM
12 Next ▸
Losing your own FA with max offer? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.