Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

Ok, so I'm going to make this my personal thread for questions that I can't find answers to in the QA and tip pages...

My next question is: say you promised a player a starting spot but they decline it. If that player still winds up on your team, are you still obligated to start him to prevent a reputation penalty?

Thanks in advance.
5/11/2013 8:29 PM
nope, if he declined it then you are in the clear
5/11/2013 8:44 PM
D
6/2/2013 9:17 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/2/2013 9:17:00 AM (view original):
D
A very well thought out and reasonable argument.
6/2/2013 12:26 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/12/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
They stack but the issue will phone calls and packet is they don't have "recruiting value".   Think of it this way, your effort equates to some sort of numerical value. 

The value chart is something like this:

Phone call= 2
Letters =3
ST= 50
HV= 150
CV= 350
Scholarship= 250
Promised Start= 250
Promised minutes= 10 * minutes promised

Those aren't right but they are in the ball park.   You have to accumulate so many points before a recruit considers you.  It's probably somewhere around 400 using those values.
For halfacraka
2/5/2014 11:14 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/12/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
They stack but the issue will phone calls and packet is they don't have "recruiting value".   Think of it this way, your effort equates to some sort of numerical value. 

The value chart is something like this:

Phone call= 2
Letters =3
ST= 50
HV= 150
CV= 350
Scholarship= 250
Promised Start= 250
Promised minutes= 10 * minutes promised

Those aren't right but they are in the ball park.   You have to accumulate so many points before a recruit considers you.  It's probably somewhere around 400 using those values.
tj,   im confused.

you say phone calls don have recruiting value,  and then you proceed to tell us what that value is ?

not sure what you mean.

ive kinda gotten away from calls and letters,    that used to be THE way to pulldown and recruit long distance.

they did make one big change in that regard (long time ago)...  cards and letters will start to **** a recruit off at some point.  i dont recall if that is a predictable number or if it is highly variable.   for some reason 40-50 is the number that sticks in my head as safe to do without ******* off the recruit.

i havent really thought about it lately,  but now i am thinking that phones cals and letters used to give you more bang for the buck at long distance  (i think your chart would probably agree with that, but havent done the math)   assuming that never changed, then the best strategy with long distance recruits would be to send as many calls and letters as can be done without ******* off the recruit,  then proceed with other options.  make any sense?
2/5/2014 2:29 PM
I probably should have added, MUCH to the sentence.

Calls and letters are an excellent way to recruit long distance, for awhile at least until you **** off the recruit!
2/5/2014 2:41 PM
The values might be more like 1 and 1.5 than 2 and 3 though.
2/5/2014 2:42 PM
In my limited experience, about 50-60 letters has been the threshold of not annoying recruits.   Anything more than 60 I've found to trigger negative feedback.   
2/5/2014 4:06 PM
ok,  all makes sense now.   thanks guys.  still a limited tool,  but maybe of some value in some long distance recruiting
2/5/2014 6:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Taking advice from Trentonjoe...wow, lol
2/5/2014 8:03 PM
I find I have a lot of success in DII recruiting DIII level players... I mean... I never win much, but recruiting is a lot easier.

and not Star DIII players, the mediocre guys that don't get much DIII attention.

Wait... is that not helpful?

Now that I think about it... this may explain my struggles as a coach.
2/6/2014 3:14 PM
In d3, the biggest problem with getting guys to like you are if another coach gets in on the recruit. Sometimes, 1 HV + a scholly isn't enough to get them. Usually 2 HV's or a CV + a scholly is plenty. Now, when you get into it with another coach is when there gets to be some tactics in play.
2/6/2014 3:42 PM
At D3, and to an extent D2, I almost never battle for a recruit. It costs WAY too much at D3.
2/7/2014 10:25 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.