Transfer budget in odd numbered increments Topic

I figured it out once but I think you need about 10m in payroll to fill out each level with the minimum.

I'd like people to think a little up front also.  But, when forced to adjust because some clown gives a max deal to a 33 y/o SS, you get penalized for not following him down the rabbit hole.  Giving that owner more flexibility doesn't seem like a bad thing.    And, of course, his scouting doesn't change.  If he put 2m into IFA, he's not suddenly going to go balls to the wall with IFA.  
5/13/2013 3:13 PM
Do you get penalized?
Again, been a while, but I did something a few years ago on teams that had max contracts, and teams that had the max IFA in a season.

IFA did a little better than max FA, but their WS win pct during the time they had those players on their roster was lower than the avg joe win pct.

So you can follow them down the rabbit hole, or, it's not the end of the world if you don't.

5/13/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/13/2013 3:13:00 PM (view original):
I figured it out once but I think you need about 10m in payroll to fill out each level with the minimum.

I'd like people to think a little up front also.  But, when forced to adjust because some clown gives a max deal to a 33 y/o SS, you get penalized for not following him down the rabbit hole.  Giving that owner more flexibility doesn't seem like a bad thing.    And, of course, his scouting doesn't change.  If he put 2m into IFA, he's not suddenly going to go balls to the wall with IFA.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3TlrZLpQ0
5/13/2013 3:21 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 5/13/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Do you get penalized?
Again, been a while, but I did something a few years ago on teams that had max contracts, and teams that had the max IFA in a season.

IFA did a little better than max FA, but their WS win pct during the time they had those players on their roster was lower than the avg joe win pct.

So you can follow them down the rabbit hole, or, it's not the end of the world if you don't.

I think, when you're playing with a smaller budget than the rest of the league, that you're penalized.

I don't think WS win pct is the best way to determine effective strategies.     Short series, blah, blah, blah.
5/13/2013 3:24 PM
It was the context of the discussion at that time (which was transferring budget and dropping a ton on IFA gives you a better chance of a WS victory).

And, I agree, thus why I try not to transfer budget unless that's all I can do with it, and why I nix cash deals.

Which is also why I want someone "punished" for f'ing up their budget. And why you don't (because you don't think it's "f'ing" up their budget)
5/13/2013 3:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's f'ing up your budget.   In three of my worlds, I'm about a 1m(or less) away from full payroll.   As detailed earlier, I have 13m+ left over in MG.   I don't think I did anything stupid in MG, I simply bailed on a couple of high-priced FA, that I was overbidding on, because I would not add a 4th or 5th year to my offer.   Now I'll either attempt to add a player or, more likely, transfer 12m to prospect and increase my budget for IFA. 
5/13/2013 4:20 PM
See, you were stupid. And should be punished.
5/13/2013 4:30 PM
Incorrect.  I had offered Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jose Delgado about 68m over 4 years.  Which was dumb.   As you can see, polly offered him 70m over 5.  Which is dumber.    He will not be very effective at 35(which would be season 4).    I also baild on Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Hammond because there was no way I was offering him 4 years.   And there was one other but I've forgotten who it was.

Nonetheless, I think I was smart for not offering those extra seasons.
5/13/2013 4:38 PM
If no penalty, than everyone can max player payroll out. There will be more people fighting over players. The contracts will get inflated. If anything that would help people that ignore the battles. But staying out of the free agent war might make it harder for those people to fill in their roster.
5/13/2013 9:00 PM
As it stands right now, owners can max out payroll. 
5/13/2013 9:46 PM
I know Mike. What I'm saying is that everyone could max out payroll to start and than move money freely to prospects and coaching as need be.
5/14/2013 12:41 PM
As I suggested back on Page 1, this happens in my world already.  One veteran owner spends the minimum on coaching, scouting, and medical.  Only things he budgets for are Int Scouting and Training.  His ML roster comes in at around 70 million.  All the rest goes to IFAs.

5/14/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by twostepper on 5/14/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
I know Mike. What I'm saying is that everyone could max out payroll to start and than move money freely to prospects and coaching as need be.
I don't think I see the problem with this. 

5/14/2013 2:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/14/2013 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by twostepper on 5/14/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't think I see the problem with this. 

You don't see a problem with contracts getting inflated due to everyone getting more involved with free agency?
5/14/2013 10:24 PM
No.  We'd all be on a level playing field, right?    I won't start with 134m while you have 185m, right?

If I want to run a 125m payroll with 6m each in coach/prospect and you want to run a 44m payroll with 10 in coach and 63 in prospect, we can, right? 
5/14/2013 11:16 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Transfer budget in odd numbered increments Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.