Split Decade League - SDL#1 '95-'04 (discontinued) Topic

DISCONTINUED
Welcome to the Split Decade League (SDL) this is the companion league to the DDL (decade draft league). This league will use 'X5-'X4 seasons, such as 1995-2004. Which will be the era for SDL#1.  This era will showcase the emergence of the "Perimeter Game".
Any Taker's?

SDL Season #1
Commish - smokey57
Format: Single season, Forum Draft, Era Limited, Single Instance player availabilty
Forum Draft: Draft order determined by 'random draw'.
Era: 1995-2004 (will change with each new SDL)
Available player pool: active WIS players, seasons '95-'96 through '04-'05 (set your filter..smokey hates the word "oop's",12 games in)
Random Division Assignment: Divisions are assigned by 'random draw' prior to the beginning of the draft. This allows for competative drafting wrt division.
Salery cap: Unlimited (build a beast)
No clones 
No Waiver Wire
No Rookies
No Net
No Whining  (well..maybe alittle, but only during the draft @ Smokey's SDL Cafe)

The decade draft format was designed by some of the veteran owners in SIM basketball to be very tough. The competition starts with the 1st pick in the draft and is hard and fast until one of us takes the ring. So, if you think your good, this is the place to test that theory. Welcome and Good Luck...smokey57

7/24/2013 4:15 PM (edited)
Owner Roster 9/24
smokey57                  98average
skypilot                       natenoy
jkaye24                       seapilots
jhsukow                      kacyon
shawbigred
kdforester
7/23/2013 6:39 PM (edited)
I will try it. I haven't done this format so can you clarify: each player gets drafted once and you pick one of their seasons to use? In year 2, are there "keepers" or is that only for progressive lgs
5/12/2013 12:34 PM
Well, we're heading for the end of the draft in DDL#1 and everybody loved it. Turns out we will use more than 80% of the available NBA players in the decade. This was the best draft I've ever participated in, just enough good players to make it comfortably thru 6 rounds. Then the chaos starts, it's turly a unique experience when you use such a large percentage of the total player pool. The level of competition created by assigning divisions prior to the draft was quite interesting, owners were having to adjust draft stratatgies as the draft proceeded based on who the other owners in their division were drafting. Due to the limited player pool there's no real need for a salery cap, most teams won't exceed $55M and none will break $60M. In the "Theme Leagues" forum, you can see the teams that were drafted in DDL#1 on page1 of the "DDL#1 draft" thread under the "Rosters by Division" post. They're very competative lineup's, go have a look. If you like incredible competition, this is where you'll get it.
5/12/2013 12:56 PM
In SPADES!!!
5/12/2013 12:58 PM
Hi kaye, good to see you. This is just a single season league, we change decades and draft all new team with each season. There is only one of each player in the league, "single instance". The only thing that is carried to the next season is draft position of returning owners, worse record to best order. I think you'll really enjoy the experience. GL and thx for joining. 
5/12/2013 1:15 PM
Count me in for sure.
5/12/2013 3:54 PM
Glad to have you buddy.
5/12/2013 5:25 PM
This league has 3 phases of competition; 1) The draft - divisional assignments are posted prior to the beginning of the draft. A running post is kept so all may see what teams are populating your division  where you'll play 40 games. I don't quite have a hard number on this, but we may very well be using +80% of the total player pool. High end talent that we usually see populate whole teams in open draft leagues, is completely dryed up by the end of the 3rd round in a decade draft. Then we use the average NBA players to populate the other 9 spot, sort of like RL. Watching the different team drafting stratagies unfold RT in the draft was great, it added a whole new level of complexity to the draft. You need to, at least hold, your own in the draft or your "Kibble-N-Bits". 2) The Regular season - In this draft you don't have an abundance of high end talent, but with no salery cap you do have an abundence of +30 minute players of average talent. This allows you to tailor lineups and rotation to each opponent. So, you can do something beside sit there and get beat 8 times. You can change whole players in your lineup, when you switch a player from bench to starter he doen't just play 16 minutes first, he play's 32 minutes and the bum he's replacing because of the 2/14 last nite plays 16 minutes. This add's up to really tough competition for the whole 82 games.
5/12/2013 10:28 PM (edited)
3) The Playoff's - What can I say..."Texas Hold'em" in a basketball setting. Good Luck all.
5/12/2013 6:52 PM
In.
5/12/2013 7:01 PM
OK, you want to know what I mean by a competitive draft..I'm monitoring the draft and up comes a post from coach saying, "it's his pick soon but he wants to go to bed and he's afraid they'll skip him'. Here's the good part, it was about midnite on the west coast and we were about 6 picks into tomorrows draft schedule. I told him it was OK to go to bed..that we wouldn't skip him this one time. Now that's competitive...
5/12/2013 7:03 PM
Good to see you shaw
5/12/2013 7:06 PM
doubt you'll be surpirsed, but count me in...
5/12/2013 7:17 PM
great...this time 24 owners no doubles.
5/12/2013 10:17 PM
12 Next ▸
Split Decade League - SDL#1 '95-'04 (discontinued) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.