3 open scholarships - 12 scholarships offered? Topic

Posted by ll316 on 5/16/2013 10:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 5/16/2013 6:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/15/2013 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tbird9423 on 5/15/2013 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Thanks Hughes-- Appreciate honest feedback and asking the question because I see some of the top guys do this all the time and wondered if I am missing the boat.  I think the most scholarships I have ever offered is about 3 more than my number of open scholarship and have always tried to save my money as you described.  Why is it then that some of the top programs do this every year?
because for 10 or 110 dollars they can get some pretty good guys to consider them, and for that price, why not?
That is actually a loophole that should be closed ... you should not be able to GREATLY over promise scholarships either.  Could you imagine a real program that offered 20 scholarships when they only had 2 spots to fill?
The SEC does it in football  :p
Beat me to it.
5/16/2013 1:11 PM
Sometimes on the first cycle I will offer scholarships to a few more players than I have openings for, along with a couple of home visits, but only if I would be happy to sign them. If another team goes heavy on one or two of them, I often do not show up on the board. If I end up competing on some of them, I will decide if I think I can win that battle, if that player is one of my top choices, but if it's a player that is roughly equal to a player that is considering only me, I will give up, or even offer a redshirt to get him off my list so that I don't look weak and over stretched. But 12-15 for 3 players is too many in my opinion. I would say 5-6 would be my personal limit, and that would be more than I would probably offer. I might do 4-5.
5/17/2013 8:54 AM
d1 is the only place i can really see doing a bunch extra. a couple seasons back i offered 40 for 5 openings just in the first cycle.
5/17/2013 9:26 AM
Weren't you afraid that it would make you look like you were spread too thin in that case?
5/17/2013 9:35 AM
yeah, it was way overboard, i wasnt sure where the line was where it would be enough. about 20 considered me. i really dont recommend that, just mostly was bored, i guess. i do think doing 10-15 in the first cycle makes a lot of sense, though, in certain situations. i think the following season i was closer to 20 and it worked out, like 6 of them considered us.
5/17/2013 10:34 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 5/16/2013 6:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/15/2013 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tbird9423 on 5/15/2013 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Thanks Hughes-- Appreciate honest feedback and asking the question because I see some of the top guys do this all the time and wondered if I am missing the boat.  I think the most scholarships I have ever offered is about 3 more than my number of open scholarship and have always tried to save my money as you described.  Why is it then that some of the top programs do this every year?
because for 10 or 110 dollars they can get some pretty good guys to consider them, and for that price, why not?
That is actually a loophole that should be closed ... you should not be able to GREATLY over promise scholarships either.  Could you imagine a real program that offered 20 scholarships when they only had 2 spots to fill?
100% yes I could imagine that.  I just randomly picked out Arizona, but look at how many guys they have offered scholarships to for their potential 2014 class.  
5/17/2013 11:11 AM
◂ Prev 12
3 open scholarships - 12 scholarships offered? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.