Changing player positions Topic

I was wondering if anyone used the GUESS rating system to recruit players to other positions, in particular QB?  Using the GUESS rating system in DIII, the highest QB's are usually in the 36 - 38 range.  However, there are numerous players of other positions that; when their numbers are rerun as a QB, are rated much higher than that.  Has anyone tried recruiting one of these players and moving them to QB?  How did it turn out for you?  Thanks!
5/16/2013 12:36 PM
Posted by rynscull79 on 5/16/2013 12:36:00 PM (view original):
I was wondering if anyone used the GUESS rating system to recruit players to other positions, in particular QB?  Using the GUESS rating system in DIII, the highest QB's are usually in the 36 - 38 range.  However, there are numerous players of other positions that; when their numbers are rerun as a QB, are rated much higher than that.  Has anyone tried recruiting one of these players and moving them to QB?  How did it turn out for you?  Thanks!
When you switch a player's position, he takes a hit to several of his attributes, most notably his GI and TEC.  Switching any player to QB will result in a 90% drop in both GI and TEC.  He'll also take a hit to his ELU, and usually (but not always) to his WE, making it very difficult to recoup the loss in GI/TEC (important for a QB).

In short, you can't simply put a player's ratings into whatever position you'd like; before doing so, you need to modify them.
The GUESS ratings equation for a QB is: 0.10*ATH + 0.10*SPD + 0.18*STR + 0.07*HND + 0.25*GI + 0.08*ELU + 0.22*TEC

If you wanted to convert a WR to QB, it would be:  0.10*ATH + 0.10*SPD + 0.18*STR + 0.07HND + 0.25*(GI - 0.90*GI) + 0.08*(ELU - 0.11*ELU) + 0.22*(TEC - 0.90*TEC)

5/16/2013 1:00 PM
Thanks for the information.  Is the loss consistently 90% when moving a player to any position or does it change say I move an undersized LB to DB?  And were I to make this move, would it be different skills that took a hit? 
5/16/2013 1:34 PM
Try changing one of your current players positions.  It will show you the options and changes.  You don't have to go through with the change.  Freshman take the least hit on changes, going up progressively with class.
5/16/2013 2:30 PM
Posted by rynscull79 on 5/16/2013 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the information.  Is the loss consistently 90% when moving a player to any position or does it change say I move an undersized LB to DB?  And were I to make this move, would it be different skills that took a hit? 
Height and weight are only window dressing in GD, the thing you need to concentrate on are the relevant attributes for a given position.

Changing a player from one position on defense to another on defense (or a player from one position to another on offense), generally results in about a 12.5% loss in GI and TEC, and up to about a 10% loss in ELU (ELU will occasionally increase very slightly).  Other attributes can either increase or decrease depending what position you're switching from to the position you're switching to.  LB -> DB will see a decrease in speed, while LB -> DL will see an increase (some attributes are relative to a position while others are universal - the (lack of?) logic behind which are which were the workings of the former developer).  Switching a player from offense to defense or defense to offense results in a 15 to 18 percent loss of GI and TEC; other attributes will increase or decrease depending on what you're switching from/to.  The amount of change varies from player to player, and is based on his 'citizenship' score (how much of a team player he is) and his work ethic.  This 'score' can be gleaned from the HC scouting report - the more of a team player a guy is, the less of a hit he'll take to a given attribute.

As scooby suggested, do some mock switches (preferably on FR, as the hit to attributes is too big to get a feel for what to expect) to see which attributes change, but don't finalize it.

Lastly, once you switch a player's position, all 'memory' of his former position goes away; switching a player back to his original position will result in the same increases/decreases in attributes as it would if you recruited the player at his current position.

5/17/2013 9:02 AM
The weight might not be a factor, but height does factor in some. I have had much better luck with WR and DB that are 6'2 and above with similar attributes. I played a team that ran a lot of Shotgun and at the time his Wr's were all over 6'2 and I had 3 DB's that were under 6'. Well needless to say he aired it out pretty good. I replaced 2 DB's the following season with a 6'3 and 6'4 FR recruit. The 2 they replaced were So and were not too far off in attribute ratings. I played that same team and faired much better with the taller DB's. I know that's not a great comparison, but that was like 10 seasons ago and I've used taller DB's and WR's ever since.
5/20/2013 5:38 AM
Height and weight are non factors. Period. Your experience must be the result of other factors, ie TEC, HANDS, ELUS.
5/20/2013 1:00 PM
When I first starting playing, I tried all sorts of position changes (DB->RB, LB->DE).  I tried switching wr into running quarterbacks.  In the end, I didn't win many games, and the switched players weren't all that good.  Recruit players that are for the position that you want and develop them.  Any quarterback that is recruited is always redshirted.  That helped improve my passing ability.  I am not sure that the weight really isn't a factor.  I had some DE that were light, but had high GUESS ratings.  Teams ran all over me.  It could be coaching, but I don't recruit light linemen anymore.
5/30/2013 2:49 PM
Unless something has changed....height and weight numbers are NOT entered into any part of the formulas that are used in this game.  And so it is with the stats from their high school seasons as well.  Now, if coaches want to give some credence to those "eye-wash" numbers when selecting their recruits, then that's in my favor .
5/30/2013 3:24 PM
Posted by majique on 5/30/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Unless something has changed....height and weight numbers are NOT entered into any part of the formulas that are used in this game.  And so it is with the stats from their high school seasons as well.  Now, if coaches want to give some credence to those "eye-wash" numbers when selecting their recruits, then that's in my favor .
+1
5/30/2013 5:30 PM
Fair enough.  Maybe I just like seeing big guys on my team.  It makes me feel more secure.  I also like having the 6'4" 235 defensive back.  I think it strikes fear into the opposing coaches.
5/31/2013 9:55 AM
I used to switch db to rb at the d3 level and it worked well, recruiting DBS with very high speed and elusiveness, but I don't think it works as well above d3 level.
6/6/2013 9:31 AM
I run an all pass offense and have been recruiting the D-III wide outs with high speed (65+) and converting them to TE...obviously you go through growing pains with the first one, but after you have a guy and recruit when he is a Jr...you should always have a playmaking receiver at TE.
6/6/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by trevnasty on 6/6/2013 6:57:00 PM (view original):
I run an all pass offense and have been recruiting the D-III wide outs with high speed (65+) and converting them to TE...obviously you go through growing pains with the first one, but after you have a guy and recruit when he is a Jr...you should always have a playmaking receiver at TE.
they are only great if you have a stellar o line.  if not then they will stay home and block thus not catching any passes. When you DO have a great oline and an excellent redshirt senior te then he is absolute money in the redzone.
6/6/2013 8:42 PM
           I had a linebacker that I converted from Buddism to Scientology.   
6/7/2013 2:28 AM
12 Next ▸
Changing player positions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.