ODL Season XLIII FULL Topic

Is the ODL dead?
6/7/2013 2:39 PM
FWIW, I did a couple seasons of this long ago, but never saw why failure one season allowed you to pick where you wanted next season.  Maybe having zero chance at LBJ , Wilt, MJ, or a couple other "golden" players turns owners off.
6/7/2013 4:41 PM
Posted by all3 on 6/7/2013 4:41:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I did a couple seasons of this long ago, but never saw why failure one season allowed you to pick where you wanted next season.  Maybe having zero chance at LBJ , Wilt, MJ, or a couple other "golden" players turns owners off.
none of those three must have superstars made it to the finals.
felonius won the East with Russ, Payton, Drexler. Carlos Boozer & a strong bench.
theyard2 won it all with Mailman, Oakley, Parish, Iguadola & Harden.
The challenge of the ODL is a smaller salary and the right mix of players.
Where you draft isn't nearly as important as who you draft.
THIS LEAGUE ISN'T DONE YET.
Ony need 6 more and we tip off season XLIII!
Come on guys learn to win don't just yearn for it!
6/8/2013 1:35 AM
Seapilots, you are VERY correct, the season before this last one I took Jerry Lucas and Larry Nance with my first two picks and drafted my usgage in the 6th round with Jerry West and Danny Granger and made the finals, all 7 draft picks AND the five bench guys REALLY matter in this league, where you draft is not a big advantage.
6/8/2013 3:07 AM
Room for me?
6/8/2013 8:49 PM
Oh and just glanced at a post above- I'm not turned off by having zero shot at those guys, but I certainly think a 24 team lottery every season for slot selection would be fun.  Anyhow, I'll join up regardless.
6/8/2013 8:51 PM
back on the scnide thanks sly!
will definitely bring up 24 team lottery for debate.
I'd have no problem  with it.  Would be kinda fun.
Just need a non owner to run it.
6/8/2013 9:05 PM
Nah- I'd run it. When we have 24, I'd assign each person a timeslot for the following day's NY lotto Quick Draw (Keno). Then the owner's timeslot with the lowest combined total gets dibs at slot selection, second lowest total gets second dibs at slot selection, etc. We've used the NY lotto for many progressive league lotteries. It literally would take 10 minutes max.

Like I said, it doesn't matter one way or the other though.
6/8/2013 10:07 PM
Posted by slymonium on 6/8/2013 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Nah- I'd run it. When we have 24, I'd assign each person a timeslot for the following day's NY lotto Quick Draw (Keno). Then the owner's timeslot with the lowest combined total gets dibs at slot selection, second lowest total gets second dibs at slot selection, etc. We've used the NY lotto for many progressive league lotteries. It literally would take 10 minutes max.

Like I said, it doesn't matter one way or the other though.
Not a big deal at all but it would be nice to get Lebron...
6/8/2013 10:30 PM
yeah already set for this season as far as slotting is concerned.
I'd like to have some consensus.  I'll bring it up during the draft.
The original idea is for retention.  If you have a bad draft or a nubie
the inverse order is incentive to return.
I agree with nate draft pos. is important but you can win from any slot. 
It's easier with the big 3 or 4 or 5 but the talent in the database
and owners skill are big factors as well.
This season should feature some lively evals with vancem & nate.
Love or hate 'em they should spark some debate.
come on guys we're rounding the final turn and charging hard on the rail.

6/8/2013 11:50 PM
I wasn't trying to start anything guys, just give an opinion.  The thinking isn't right, but most "newbees" probably aren't interested in a League where they know those guys are already going to other owners.   
6/9/2013 12:00 AM
Let's find out all3. Any new potential owners that are interested but are concerned about how the teams are slotted please post your specific concern(s). From my point of view draft slotting is not that important for this league in terms of getting a high pick. Having a low first round pick, a high second round pick, and 2 high sixth round picks is a better formula for winning here IMO. But I am a very experienced draft league owner. 
6/11/2013 4:38 PM
I see plenty of people picking early that get stomped. It has nothing to do with slotting. It has EVERYTHING to do with balance. Especially with the calibre of owners in this league.
6/11/2013 4:47 PM
So, is there a specific concern with how this season of the league appears to be balanced that makes it undesirable for a new owner to join?
6/11/2013 7:06 PM
While I agree that having a low 1st, high 2nd and 2 high 6th rd picks may be a formula for success, I can see the flip side of that coin where a guy may be more inclined to join if he knew that at least he'd have a shot at the thrill of landing one of the top picks and grabbing that superstar high in the draft.

Or maybe there are too few of us left on the site now.
6/12/2013 2:03 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
ODL Season XLIII FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.