State Farm Squads: How Can I Assist? Topic

well my team is 31-36. the strategy didnt work out well for me. i dont have enough rebounding. my teams scores only 108.6ppg on 52.6 fg% but more importantly im tied for last in rebounds per game with 43.5. in my defense i am in one of the toughest divisions ive ever played in. all the owners are good and my team is in last place despite being only 5 games under .500. it was a fun concept nonetheless.
10/1/2013 2:00 PM
ok so from what i've read here, it sounds like there is a bump in fg% that takes effect when you reach about combined 110%+ in assists.

in the leagues that I'm in, doesn't seem like there is much of a different whether you draft 75% or 100%.

my question is, is there a minimum amount of assists to draft where if you fall below this threshold, it becomes detrimental to your team and its fg%? About what do you notice this minimum assists% is?
10/8/2013 8:17 AM
I have done a bit of experimentation with this (but nowhere near as much as some other people here), and this is what I have found:
<60% (2 studies): substantial decrease of efg%, large leap in turnovers, small increase in fouls
60%-90% (4 studies): everything holds about normal, maybe small increase in turnovers. My results varied a lot, but not any significant increase/decrease
90%-120%(5 studies): small increase in efg% and smaller increase in turnovers
120%+ (1 study): large increase in efg% and turnovers. However, in smaller caps (sub-$50 mil) and draft leagues, getting to 120% means sacrificing on other things, mainly rebounds, so these teams generally get slaughtered on the boards.
These numbers are only for my starters, as it is difficult to find a bench that mirrors the qualities of my starting 5, even when platooning. There are a lot of other variables that go into this as well, such as usage, IRL efg%, fatigue levels, even predisposition to certain qualities, such as high/low turnovers or fouls
10/8/2013 12:10 PM
turnovers are likely going up because many high ast% players also have high tov%.

Are you using consistent usage?  Usage is going to effect both efg% & turnovers greatly.

10/8/2013 4:36 PM
Like I said, I find it hard to find consistency btwn my starters and my bench, but looking back on some of my teams, my most common positional lineups (ones I still use regularly for $42 mil leagues) feature players who have usg% within 5% of each other. The largest differential is 11.3%, while the smallest is only 2.6% 
10/8/2013 5:06 PM
i'm talking about cumulative usage, not consistency between starters & benches.
10/8/2013 6:27 PM
Oh... Right. Cumulative usage was all over the board. I had higher than usual usage for -60% and lower than usual for 120+%. The middle two ast% tiers I mentioned had around the same amount of cumulative usage, considering I had the same rotation at 4 positions for all my teams, and just varied 1 position at a time.

Obviously I made a mistake. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the sim. Another reson why these results may contain error is that they were all 10-game exhibition league teams, so a smaller sample size.
10/8/2013 7:19 PM
yah.  makes a huge difference.  Many different coaching options in the real thing as opposed to the exhibition.
10/8/2013 8:58 PM
And there's a lot of tricks I have learned over my 40+ exhibitions that when applied to an 82 game season, led to a very disappointing season. It's just another monster that I have to conquer.

I know that you have recently turned to experimenting with what is "too much" usage, but did you discover an approximate number for ast% that keeps shooting percentages around the IRL numbers while doing ast% testing?
10/8/2013 9:16 PM
extremely hard to test with all of the variables.  I believe (but am not sure) that the penalty occurs at below 50% ast on the floor.  I used to try and get 67-68 Wilt to average a triple double and ran as low as 51% ast% without ever seeing a hit to my shooting.  I didn't try less than that because I figured 50% as the minimum (with a basis on nothing).

I firmly believe it all starts with getting the right usage out there... so once I get that nailed down further, I can do more ast% tests.

10/8/2013 10:11 PM
Do you all (the more experienced owners, would love ash's opinion.....AND SMOKEYS LOL) think the assist bump happens in a cumulative total or a tier system (like usage).

cumulative total is like each players assist% added up to a cumulative total on the floor at that point, versus a tier system similar to usage%.
10/16/2013 3:44 PM
I've always assumed cumulative and have seen no language to the contrary from seble
10/16/2013 3:46 PM
fyi, I haven't updated this, but I used this strategy in my double season progressive team.  Harder to do in a prog league, but was still able to routinely run 80-100+ on the floor.

It has been quite effective.
10/16/2013 4:46 PM
bump
1/31/2014 12:09 PM

this thread hasnt been updated in a while. several teams have been mentioned when they were created but results for those teams havent been updated.

1) for a team with assist% totallying 130-140% at all times, should I expect significant increase in fg%?

2) do you think from about 120% assist%, all the way to the max, the increase in fg% related to total assist% is linear?

3) and lastly, do you think running up-tempo to max out fg% bump is good idea? or run half-court to limit TOs while getting assist% bump?

appreciate your inputs. thanks

2/11/2014 10:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...13 Next ▸
State Farm Squads: How Can I Assist? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.