Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Posted by deathinahole on 5/21/2013 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 5/21/2013 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Is that like, I live near NYC and often take mass transit into Manhattan, so I should expect terrorism, right?  Please don't donate to that cause, God forbid it should happen, because I should have seen it coming?
No. No one expects terrorism.

Or this:

Do NOT poke me with the comfy cushions.
I am going to give the rack a turn.
5/21/2013 3:40 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 5/21/2013 3:37:00 PM (view original):
I'll do my best sir. I'll sitemail you first for proof reading.

A wise choice.

Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:36:00 PM (view original):
In OK, you know you live in tornado alley, but I'm confident you don't expect a tornado to rip your house apart.

I would go so far to say that there are many people in NYC who do expect it will happen at some point.  There's a bomb tearing up Times Square a few years ago if the bomb worked properly.  
I doubt they're confident that a tornado won't rip their house apart.    Like people who live in any area where a natural, or manmade, disaster is possible, they probably think "What are the odds it affects me?" and go from there.

Honestly, is there anything dumber than getting in a plane?    There aren't a lot of plane crash survivors.   But there aren't a lot of plane crashes either.
Dumber to get in a car. Statistically speaking.
5/21/2013 3:43 PM
I might be missing your overall point.  But I'm saying it's the same thing, essentially.  If you live in Oklahoma, what are the odds your house is destroyed by a tornado? Slim.  What are the odds your average NYC commuter/resident is directly affected in a major way by a terror attack?  Slim.  You know you live in tornado alley, but don't expect a tornado to destroy your house.  You live in NYC, the most targeted area for terrorism, but don't expect a major terror attack to affect you.
5/21/2013 3:47 PM
So they say.  But people survive car crashes all the time.
5/21/2013 3:47 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
I might be missing your overall point.  But I'm saying it's the same thing, essentially.  If you live in Oklahoma, what are the odds your house is destroyed by a tornado? Slim.  What are the odds your average NYC commuter/resident is directly affected in a major way by a terror attack?  Slim.  You know you live in tornado alley, but don't expect a tornado to destroy your house.  You live in NYC, the most targeted area for terrorism, but don't expect a major terror attack to affect you.
I evidently misunderstood what you said.   Or at least misinterpreted it.    I don't think OK residents or NYC residents are confident that specific acts won't affect them though.   I just think they believe the possibility of it is slim. 

FWIW, every time I go to a sporting event, at some point, I think "Damn.  This is a lot of people all in one spot.   Seems prime for terrorism of some sort."
5/21/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
I evidently misunderstood what you said.   Or at least misinterpreted it.    I don't think OK residents or NYC residents are confident that specific acts won't affect them though.   I just think they believe the possibility of it is slim. 

FWIW, every time I go to a sporting event, at some point, I think "Damn.  This is a lot of people all in one spot.   Seems prime for terrorism of some sort."
Yea. I do think that all the time.
5/21/2013 3:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Right, but your odds of being in a car crash are so much higher than being in a plane crash that you're still in much more "danger" of dying behind the wheel of a car than you are in the seat of a plane.
5/21/2013 3:53 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 5/21/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Right, but your odds of being in a car crash are so much higher than being in a plane crash that you're still in much more "danger" of dying behind the wheel of a car than you are in the seat of a plane.
Perhaps it's a control issue.   I'm driving the car.    Not so much with plane.   And, if there's a mechanical issue, I'll just pull over. 
5/21/2013 3:55 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 5/21/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Perhaps it's a control issue.   I'm driving the car.    Not so much with plane.   And, if there's a mechanical issue, I'll just pull over. 
I don't see you as having control issues.
5/21/2013 4:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
So far we have 'tardcomm and gotworms in the "GIVE MORE YOU CHEAP BASTARD" corner.
death is in the "**** 'em.   They chose to live in Tornado County" corner.

And everyone else seems sane.
I never said "Give more".  I said, "Don't tweet about a donation of couch-money if you're a multi-millionaire."

And DIAH is right.  There are trade-offs to living everywhere.  You balance the cost of insurance, job opportunities, real estate values, school districts, the likelihood of catastrophe, property tax laws, oil-digging rights, etc. when you choose the area where you want to live.
5/21/2013 5:16 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):

Yea. I do think that all the time.
I flew into Germany last month.  12-13 hours in a big flying tube traveling 500mph.  Then I had a shuttle driver going 100mph in the rain on the Autobahn.  I had a lot of time to contemplate my mortality and the odds of something catastrophic happening.

But in many areas, there is hurricane/tornado SEASON.  Every.  Single.   Year. 

If you live in those regions, and you think the odds are slim, then you don't understand odds.
5/21/2013 5:22 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
So far we have 'tardcomm and gotworms in the "GIVE MORE YOU CHEAP BASTARD" corner.
death is in the "**** 'em.   They chose to live in Tornado County" corner.

And everyone else seems sane.
I never said "Give more".  I said, "Don't tweet about a donation of couch-money if you're a multi-millionaire."

And DIAH is right.  There are trade-offs to living everywhere.  You balance the cost of insurance, job opportunities, real estate values, school districts, the likelihood of catastrophe, property tax laws, oil-digging rights, etc. when you choose the area where you want to live.
He's tweeting it not because it's "look at me" it's "i'm doing it, you should too."
5/21/2013 5:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.