Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
So far we have 'tardcomm and gotworms in the "GIVE MORE YOU CHEAP BASTARD" corner.
death is in the "**** 'em.   They chose to live in Tornado County" corner.

And everyone else seems sane.
I never said "Give more".  I said, "Don't tweet about a donation of couch-money if you're a multi-millionaire."

And DIAH is right.  There are trade-offs to living everywhere.  You balance the cost of insurance, job opportunities, real estate values, school districts, the likelihood of catastrophe, property tax laws, oil-digging rights, etc. when you choose the area where you want to live.
He's tweeting it not because it's "look at me" it's "i'm doing it, you should too."
That's even worse.  Maybe he should worry about his last place team rather than tell ME what to do with MY money.
5/21/2013 5:45 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
I might be missing your overall point.  But I'm saying it's the same thing, essentially.  If you live in Oklahoma, what are the odds your house is destroyed by a tornado? Slim.  What are the odds your average NYC commuter/resident is directly affected in a major way by a terror attack?  Slim.  You know you live in tornado alley, but don't expect a tornado to destroy your house.  You live in NYC, the most targeted area for terrorism, but don't expect a major terror attack to affect you.
I evidently misunderstood what you said.   Or at least misinterpreted it.    I don't think OK residents or NYC residents are confident that specific acts won't affect them though.   I just think they believe the possibility of it is slim. 

FWIW, every time I go to a sporting event, at some point, I think "Damn.  This is a lot of people all in one spot.   Seems prime for terrorism of some sort."
Yea. I do think that all the time.
I flew into Germany last month.  12-13 hours in a big flying tube traveling 500mph.  Then I had a shuttle driver going 100mph in the rain on the Autobahn.  I had a lot of time to contemplate my mortality and the odds of something catastrophic happening.

But in many areas, there is hurricane/tornado SEASON.  Every.  Single.   Year. 

If you live in those regions, and you think the odds are slim, then you don't understand odds.
I don't know for sure, but I would guess the vast majority of houses in the midwest stand up for a lifetime, despite being in tornado alley.
5/21/2013 5:50 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
So far we have 'tardcomm and gotworms in the "GIVE MORE YOU CHEAP BASTARD" corner.
death is in the "**** 'em.   They chose to live in Tornado County" corner.

And everyone else seems sane.
I never said "Give more".  I said, "Don't tweet about a donation of couch-money if you're a multi-millionaire."

And DIAH is right.  There are trade-offs to living everywhere.  You balance the cost of insurance, job opportunities, real estate values, school districts, the likelihood of catastrophe, property tax laws, oil-digging rights, etc. when you choose the area where you want to live.
He's tweeting it not because it's "look at me" it's "i'm doing it, you should too."
That's even worse.  Maybe he should worry about his last place team rather than tell ME what to do with MY money.
Is fundraising bad? If it's not your full time job?
5/21/2013 5:50 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/21/2013 5:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/21/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
I might be missing your overall point.  But I'm saying it's the same thing, essentially.  If you live in Oklahoma, what are the odds your house is destroyed by a tornado? Slim.  What are the odds your average NYC commuter/resident is directly affected in a major way by a terror attack?  Slim.  You know you live in tornado alley, but don't expect a tornado to destroy your house.  You live in NYC, the most targeted area for terrorism, but don't expect a major terror attack to affect you.
I evidently misunderstood what you said.   Or at least misinterpreted it.    I don't think OK residents or NYC residents are confident that specific acts won't affect them though.   I just think they believe the possibility of it is slim. 

FWIW, every time I go to a sporting event, at some point, I think "Damn.  This is a lot of people all in one spot.   Seems prime for terrorism of some sort."
Yea. I do think that all the time.
I flew into Germany last month.  12-13 hours in a big flying tube traveling 500mph.  Then I had a shuttle driver going 100mph in the rain on the Autobahn.  I had a lot of time to contemplate my mortality and the odds of something catastrophic happening.

But in many areas, there is hurricane/tornado SEASON.  Every.  Single.   Year. 

If you live in those regions, and you think the odds are slim, then you don't understand odds.

Meh.   How many hurricance hit the US each year?   10-12?    How many miles of East/Gulf Coast do we have?

How many tornados destroy houses in the Midwest each year?   How many houses are there in the MW?

5/21/2013 5:58 PM
Historically it's more like one or 2 that actually make landfall, and major hurricanes that make landfall are even more rare.

Todd, what exactly do you consider "slim" odds?   What do you think the percentage is of people who live in tornado alley who have their homes severely damaged or destroyed by tornados? 
5/22/2013 8:09 AM
I'd actually say it's similar to the car thing - the odds are pretty damn high that you'll be in a car wreck at some point in your life, much slimmer that you'll die in one.  If you live in tornado/hurricane country, I'm sure the odds are pretty high that you'll be negatively impacted at some point, but much less so that you'll be catastrophically impacted.
5/22/2013 8:14 AM
I was counting hurricanes that negatively affect the weather in the US.   Heavy rains, winds, etc, etc.   Pretty much all of them that don't hit south of NC do some damage on the outer banks of NC.    They kind of jut out into the ocean.

And the ones that get into the Gulf screw around with FL's weather.
5/22/2013 8:33 AM
That number is more like 6 according to NOAA.
5/22/2013 8:52 AM
OK.   Please, in your mind, change my statement to "Meh.   How many hurricances affect the US each year?   4-6?    How many miles of East/Gulf Coast do we have?"

5/22/2013 8:59 AM

Way ahead of you.

5/22/2013 9:14 AM
I think the point MikeT23 is trying to make is you can't live in fear of a natural disaster based upon where you live.  I live in the Seattle area, or South Alaska, as it's referred to, and we are supposed to have one of the largest earthquakes in recorded history anyday now & have one of the "most dangerous volcanoes in the world" in Mt. Rainier. 

With Seattle's luck these events will happen congruently...
5/22/2013 10:44 AM
The argument is that you shouldn't NOT get relief because "you should have known better living there."

I saw a documentary once about a tsunami hitting Seattle too.  I'll assume that happens the same day you have your eruption and earthquake.
5/22/2013 11:00 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/22/2013 11:00:00 AM (view original):
The argument is that you shouldn't NOT get relief because "you should have known better living there."

I saw a documentary once about a tsunami hitting Seattle too.  I'll assume that happens the same day you have your eruption and earthquake.
I think DIAH was saying that you shouldn't get "EXTRA" relief (beyond insurance and government payments). 

I was saying that the likelihood of natural disaster is probably already built into the cost of living.  Oh, and I was saying that Matt Kemp shouldn't tweet about sending a microscopic percentage of his salary to OKC.
5/22/2013 11:08 AM
So fundraising is bad if it's not your full time job?
5/22/2013 11:10 AM
There's a difference between "fundraising" (which would be cool if he donated some memorabilia and gave the proceeds to charity) and lip service from a multi-millionaire self-promoting his largesse.  
5/22/2013 11:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.