D2 Season 65 Topic

Thanks for setting the over/under on us at a 5 seed. We beat Bellarmine for the 2nd time against 18 defeats. If we can steal one tonight against you, we might have something special going on. GL.
6/11/2013 8:10 PM
Posted by davefilby on 6/11/2013 8:10:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for setting the over/under on us at a 5 seed. We beat Bellarmine for the 2nd time against 18 defeats. If we can steal one tonight against you, we might have something special going on. GL.
GL tonight. I might have put us too high as a #2 seed, but I think we'll improve a lot as the season progresses. We need to start making free throws. 

Everyone between #3 and #7 seeds are pretty well clumped together - it's hard to differentiate between them. 
6/11/2013 8:48 PM
Valdosta is a machine.
6/16/2013 9:21 PM
Time to bump this thread back to the top.

Non-con is done, have things gone how you thought they would? 

After picking the final four last season, Nostra-Filby tabbed Valdosta St as the team to watch out of the Heartland this season.  Thank you alazer for making me look like a genius.  Your winning Powerball numbers tomorrow night will be: 46, 3, 38, 51, 12, with a powerball of 17.

Incarnate Word is having a typical Incarnate Word season:  Good RPI & SOS, barely .500 record, 3-1 against ranked teams, 3-3 versus everyone else, lose to teams starting with "Bel" (Belmont Abbey this season).  I still like us better than a #5 seed. 
6/18/2013 11:22 AM (edited)
I was going to say I think we are better than an 8 seed, but my conference schedule is going to be pretty bad for my RPI....
6/19/2013 2:44 PM
Posted by davefilby on 6/18/2013 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Time to bump this thread back to the top.

Non-con is done, have things gone how you thought they would? 

After picking the final four last season, Nostra-Filby tabbed Valdosta St as the team to watch out of the Heartland this season.  Thank you alazer for making me look like a genius.  Your winning Powerball numbers tomorrow night will be: 46, 3, 38, 51, 12, with a powerball of 17.

Incarnate Word is having a typical Incarnate Word season:  Good RPI & SOS, barely .500 record, 3-1 against ranked teams, 3-3 versus everyone else, lose to teams starting with "Bel" (Belmont Abbey this season).  I still like us better than a #5 seed. 
By the way, those powerball selections would have returned $4 on a $2 ticket.  I'm on fire!
6/20/2013 9:19 AM

St. Mary's took the annual River City Rivalry game over Incarnate Word last night, a big win for us in our quest to get to 14 wins.  Going 5-5 in nonconference play didn't help since the Heartland conference is so incredibly tough this season.  The Heartland has 10 teams worthy of NT consideration, but as few as 6 may get in depending on how many can get to the necessary 14 wins.

6/21/2013 9:49 AM
#1 Valdosta St escapes San Antonio with a 1 point win on a made 3 with 0:03 remaining. Incarnate Word slips to 9-8. Despite being 11thbon the projection report, there's a very real chance we could fail to reach the required 14 wins.
6/26/2013 5:15 AM
Longwood has to be the ugliest-playing top 10 team in HD. There are two guarantees in a game against Longwood. 

#1 you won't score
#2 we won't score. 

6/26/2013 12:54 PM
OK, I still like us as better than a 5 seed..........in the PT, not the NT.

Incarnate Word sits at 11-12 with 3 regular season games remaining.  We need to win out in the regular season to hit 14.  We've only missed the NT once in the last 19 seasons.

Heartbreaking losses include:
  • Last night's 94-92 loss to W Alabama on a shot with 0:00 on the clock in OT.  One of the better FT shooting teams in the nation goes 9-18.
  • A 3 point loss to W Alabama.  W Alabama cooperates by missing two FTs with less than 1:00 remaining.  We go 0-3 from deep trying to tie it up.
  • A 1 point loss to #1 (at the time) Valdosta St on a made 3 with 0:03 remaining.
  • A 2 point loss to #9 W Oregon.
WIS gods, please remove the curse.  Please let me know if you want me to sacrifice a goat or a chicken, I'm willing.

7/2/2013 8:53 AM
Posted by davefilby on 7/2/2013 8:53:00 AM (view original):
OK, I still like us as better than a 5 seed..........in the PT, not the NT.

Incarnate Word sits at 11-12 with 3 regular season games remaining.  We need to win out in the regular season to hit 14.  We've only missed the NT once in the last 19 seasons.

Heartbreaking losses include:
  • Last night's 94-92 loss to W Alabama on a shot with 0:00 on the clock in OT.  One of the better FT shooting teams in the nation goes 9-18.
  • A 3 point loss to W Alabama.  W Alabama cooperates by missing two FTs with less than 1:00 remaining.  We go 0-3 from deep trying to tie it up.
  • A 1 point loss to #1 (at the time) Valdosta St on a made 3 with 0:03 remaining.
  • A 2 point loss to #9 W Oregon.
WIS gods, please remove the curse.  Please let me know if you want me to sacrifice a goat or a chicken, I'm willing.

It's not WIS you need to worry about.  It's a Bellarmine curse.  You defeated us for the first time in many seasons and the gods are still angry.

Incidently, we may be joining you in the PIT this time. We're 12-9, projected at #64. We still have to play 3 teams that are rated above us, including #1 Parkside

7/2/2013 10:46 AM (edited)
After a tough 3-straight losses late in non-conference play St Mary's made a couple of lineup changes, and just like last season those changes have made a huge difference. We have just one conference loss to a very tough N. Alabama squad and some bug wins in the tough Heartland conference, including a win over the very strong Valdosta St. Hopefully we can make a deep NT run again this season.
7/2/2013 8:46 PM
this thread got a bit quiet. Who are your favorites going into the NT? 

The CVAC should be getting 9 teams in, far above my prediction of 6. None of the teams are too dominant, though - it's just a very deep and brutal conference....but any of the top 5 or 6 in the CVAC have a chance to make a deep run with the right matchups.

The Heartland and the Cal CAA might have quite a few of the major final four contenders. 

Wisconsin Parkside is awesome, as always. They've definitely taken our throne as the most dominant team in DII 
7/9/2013 12:47 AM
I look for Parkside to sweep through the tournament, winning by an average of 15 ppg. There are no weaknesses on that team. 

My young Bellarmine team,  currently projected at #57, is just hoping for an invitation
7/9/2013 4:13 AM
Still like Parkside, Grand Canyon, and Valdosta.  I think these are the class of D-II this season.  I think the 4th could be a number of teams.  Whichever bracket doesn't have one of these heavyweights in it should be super interesting.  I'll take the highest seeded CVAC team in that bracket as the 4th team.

Incarnate Word ripped off enough wins to qualify.  We've gone from potentially out to a 6 seed at present.  I think we will be an uncomfortable matchup for our opponents.
7/9/2013 8:50 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
D2 Season 65 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.