12-13 Draft Discussion Thread Topic

Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/6/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
It's not that Gasol is amazing, just that he has a nice combination of skills and is way better than anyone I hoped to see matched with Lebron. The two of them together are the perfect blank slate to build around. You don't need hardly any more assists, you don't need to worry about D, you've got plenty of usage, you've got plenty of efficient scoring. But the galling part is that all he had to do to move up and get Gasol was move his 3rd round pick down 20 spots. It's an absurd deal.
Question, doesn't it defeat the purpose of having Lebron and Durant picking last?  Why are they allowed to even trade in the first place?

6/6/2013 6:22 PM
Posted by eleibowitz on 6/6/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/6/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
It's not that Gasol is amazing, just that he has a nice combination of skills and is way better than anyone I hoped to see matched with Lebron. The two of them together are the perfect blank slate to build around. You don't need hardly any more assists, you don't need to worry about D, you've got plenty of usage, you've got plenty of efficient scoring. But the galling part is that all he had to do to move up and get Gasol was move his 3rd round pick down 20 spots. It's an absurd deal.
Question, doesn't it defeat the purpose of having Lebron and Durant picking last?  Why are they allowed to even trade in the first place?

Nah - if everyone else is allowed to trade, they should be too. That wouldn't be fair. You can't control for every variable - others could have proposed trades to iccoachb too.
6/6/2013 8:18 PM
Bottom line is there were a lot better players available at that spot. I'm glad he took Gasol and not some of the guys who were picked right after him. Including the guy who I was after, the Manimal.
6/7/2013 11:39 AM
I'm not crowning a LBJ/Gasol yet, and I also had faried higher on my list, but "a lot better?" Idk.
6/7/2013 1:09 PM
Let's see he has LBJ/Gasol and I have Chris Paul/Manimal plus i get to pick twice more before he does. I like my team better.
6/7/2013 1:22 PM
That is huge. Things seem to get pretty slim by round 4
6/7/2013 4:32 PM
Posted by 98average on 6/7/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Let's see he has LBJ/Gasol and I have Chris Paul/Manimal plus i get to pick twice more before he does. I like my team better.
The pairings might be close to equal, if LBJ/Gasol didn't play about 1200 more minutes. And weren't better at everything else, too.
6/7/2013 5:25 PM
jhsukow, I'm mad at you for picking Green, who I definitely wanted (both for team purposes and personal fanhood reasons), but I gotta say that pick confuses me a bit. Going the first two rounds without getting a PG or a big man is tough, and playing Kobe and Green at the 2 and 3 will make rebounding an uphill climb. I'll be interested to see how it works.
6/7/2013 5:33 PM
At about 4500 min's I'm a 1000 min's off my normal time. Considering how quickly talent diminishes in this draft I think the Wade / Garnett picks put me in pretty good shape. Considering the lack of solid defense in this draft, a def93 on the perimeter and a def70 in the paint is more than I could hope for. Wade @ sg can slid off to cover pg/sg or sf and Garnett c or pf. So I can keep at least two shooters honest. Good luck finding 3 good shooters!  They bring better than average offense and have good floor games. That leaves sf, a position I can fill with a sg, sf or pf, giving me a fair amount of flexiblity. The talent pool becomes homogenous over the 3rd thru 8th rounds, this is where the real team building starts. I'm happy after two rounds...
6/7/2013 5:53 PM (edited)
Hey Tar, I'll match you with my Wade/Garnett pairing! (see above post...lol)
6/7/2013 5:57 PM
Wade like DrJ can single handly shut down perimeter shooting....
6/7/2013 6:01 PM
In a league full of perimeter shooters I thought it might come in handy...
6/7/2013 6:03 PM

This will be a very interesting league. Never dreamed of starting a team with an efg of 47 followed by one of 46.6. But Westbrook and Kemba shoot about 80% from the stripe and I start with 946 RL FTA’s and only 342 fouls in over 5700 minutes, that is a pf rate of .060; so my advantage at the line has started out dominant and I can afford to take on some fouls later in the draft. These two also have a combined 3,668 RL possessions and a tov% of only 12.89, they are a 66 and 65 on D; have ast% of 26.9 and 23.1 and 204 triples, all of which positions me well for uptempo.

I know low efg is rarely if ever the path to a winning record here, but in a league so thin on talent and high efg I think the other factors will play an important role as well, more so than in a normal draft league IMO.

6/7/2013 6:05 PM
This is fun though. Had 98 not taken Chris Paul I likely would have him and Zach Randolph now. And I entered the draft thinking I had a shot at Wade and Noah at my position...not even close.  Every pick changes strategy by the minute. I don't know how Hill will perform, but between him and Josh Smith I do have some flexibility in my next choices.
6/7/2013 7:16 PM (edited)
sigh - I debated trading up for JJ Hickson several times. How he lasted until the 3rd is beyond me.
6/8/2013 4:48 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
12-13 Draft Discussion Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.