Should it really take so long to reach the Big 6? Topic

The fastest path for an experiences coach to qualify for a Big 6 job would probably look something like this:

1 Season @ D3
3-10 Seasons @ D2
0-6 Seasons @ Low D1
=Big 6 job

This is assuming the seasons at Low D1 can be skipped with great D2 success, so really the whole pathway is 10-12 seasons or so.

That's a almost full year in 2-a-day worlds! Obviously there are pros and cons here (such as the longer it takes, the more value you put into finally making the Big 10, and vice-versa)...but if they were to increase firings in high-D1 (a popular sentiment) a lot of coaches would be so dismayed by the firing (a result of the extended resume building) that many would quit. More, at least, than if you could reach Big 6 theoretically in 6-8 seasons or so.

At the same time, the easier it is for YOU to make the Big 6, the easier it is for everyone else, and right now we have typically 1-8 Big 6 openings every offseason, which is reasonable, I think. If you made hiring easier, increased firings would be completely necessary.

Nonetheless, I think it would be more fun if you could move up quicker and got fired more quickly as well. Thoughts?
6/7/2013 1:37 PM
Are you sure very many people would be dismayed at getting fired?  If they just ratcheted it up a little bit (to avoid the "I was fired with THIS resume??" stuff), I don't think very many at all would mind.  I think most people would understand that they've been coasting for far too long as it is in whatever BCS job they have.  

I think the real hidden cost would be D2 and D3.  There are many coaches who just refuse to play D1, partially because of the lack of firings (among many other reasons, obviously).  Some of those would head on up to D1 to give it another try.

6/7/2013 2:57 PM
I'm in Smith D1 right now and am planning to return to D2 after this season. D1 is a completely different game than D2, and D2 is a lot more fun -- in part because the job logic in D1 is so nonsensical.
6/7/2013 3:17 PM
I've been thinking that maybe the site should consider "selling" a history.  That is, if you are already a hall of fame coach or you have played 25+ seasons in any world, then your entry into another world comes with a slightly higher "status".  Further, and this is the important bit, any user could pay a small fee (a couple bucks extra, maybe as high as $10) and buy the same elevated status.  Perhaps even entering a world eligible to be a very low D1 coach and accelerating the ability to get to Big 6 as well.  It would also allow coaches that have been in one world for a long time, with a good reputation and success, to enter a separate world being treated as though they had purchased the status bonus.

As for firing, I think that everyone agrees that there should be substantially more firing at the Big 6 level.  The only way for the site to make it work is to give a credit for an additional season to the coach that is fired.  This is analogous to the problem with relegation systems in Euro Football.  If you relegate a club, they are very likely to go bankrupt.  So, they often get financial benefits for having been awful.   On the other hand, if you don't have relegation at all, then you have the Florida Marlins...
6/7/2013 4:11 PM (edited)
yeah, thats the ticket....yuppify and gentrify WIS, let anyone come along with cash and buy status. 

Put that down with the worst ideas.

More firings are needed.  I should have been fired a couple of times.  But do not let someone jump the line with $$ - and end up over his or her head without experience.
6/7/2013 4:33 PM
I dont think allowing people to buy there way will help. They will get killed at high d1 without the experience
6/7/2013 5:09 PM
So what if people get killed!    The idea is to fix the problem that the OP was talking about.  I'd argue that a user that starts at low D3 and gets slaughtered will be more likely to burn out and quit after one season than the one that starts at D1.  

I'll play devil's advocate and go further than I did at first and clarify.  Why not: $50 you can take over any D1 team you like or you can work your way up from low D1 for $25, DII for $15 or DIII for $12 ($4.95 for the 1st season without FSS).  As long as a disclaimer is provided that each higher level carries with it a substantial risk of firing for non-performance, then so be it.   

After that (and independently of that argument), actually increase the chances of being fired at Big 6 schools and create some sort of bonus incentive structure that makes more coaches want to coach at the D1 level.   Somehow coaches need to better incentives to move up, rather than stay at D3.

6/7/2013 5:45 PM
In Phelan I got to a Big 6 job in 10 seasons, and there was nothing special about my resume. Big 6 conferences are like 90%+ full, why does something need to be changed?
6/7/2013 6:38 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 6/7/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
The fastest path for an experiences coach to qualify for a Big 6 job would probably look something like this:

1 Season @ D3
3-10 Seasons @ D2
0-6 Seasons @ Low D1
=Big 6 job

This is assuming the seasons at Low D1 can be skipped with great D2 success, so really the whole pathway is 10-12 seasons or so.

That's a almost full year in 2-a-day worlds! Obviously there are pros and cons here (such as the longer it takes, the more value you put into finally making the Big 10, and vice-versa)...but if they were to increase firings in high-D1 (a popular sentiment) a lot of coaches would be so dismayed by the firing (a result of the extended resume building) that many would quit. More, at least, than if you could reach Big 6 theoretically in 6-8 seasons or so.

At the same time, the easier it is for YOU to make the Big 6, the easier it is for everyone else, and right now we have typically 1-8 Big 6 openings every offseason, which is reasonable, I think. If you made hiring easier, increased firings would be completely necessary.

Nonetheless, I think it would be more fun if you could move up quicker and got fired more quickly as well. Thoughts?
Ahhh, just as I suspected...
6/7/2013 8:30 PM
readiness or ability to spend $ should not be part of the competition in this game - just my opinion
6/8/2013 8:12 AM
if they removed baseline prestige, there would not be a need for a big 6.
6/8/2013 4:02 PM
I don't think baseline prestige needs to be removed, just don't cap  prestige, allow  low major schoosl to get A+ just make it hard to keep at a A+ for mid majors. That way you meet realism half way. I wanted to coach Pacific because its my home town school, but I gave up after awhile when I realized I was never going to attain greater than a B- prestige. I probably would of stayed there if it was possible to get A+ while still having a low baseline prestige.
6/8/2013 5:43 PM
Posted by plague on 6/8/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):
I don't think baseline prestige needs to be removed, just don't cap  prestige, allow  low major schoosl to get A+ just make it hard to keep at a A+ for mid majors. That way you meet realism half way. I wanted to coach Pacific because its my home town school, but I gave up after awhile when I realized I was never going to attain greater than a B- prestige. I probably would of stayed there if it was possible to get A+ while still having a low baseline prestige.
1000 times this.
6/9/2013 11:06 AM
Posted by plague on 6/8/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):
Mid-Majors can really only obtain a B-?  Wow, I didn't realize that....I'd be OK with capping it at an A for Mid-Majors.
6/9/2013 2:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't play D1, I just read the forums a lot), but it's my understanding that there is no artificial cap on D1 prestige--that it's just a de facto cap based on how prestige is calculated (which is an average of several more recent reasons and the baseline). if this is correct, there would be no way to increase the de facto cap without just changing the way prestige is calculated (and such a change would also reduce the floor of higher prestige teams). Now maybe changing it up is a good idea, but I don't think it's quite as simple as removing a cap. 
6/9/2013 2:19 PM
12 Next ▸
Should it really take so long to reach the Big 6? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.