Posted by smokey57 on 6/11/2013 7:32:00 PM (view original):
I post this data so that other owners can consider it, draw their own conclusions and use the 411 as they see fit. I hope it improves your game. GL to the 99.9% of the owners who understand this...
or you can ignore this guy and his spurious claims and just read the FAQ which he has clearly never done
6/11/2013 7:54 PM
More data is sorely needed here..
1. Overall team defense
2. FTA - maybe those missing FGA turned into FTA that game?
3. Double teaming?
4. The defense of all the players guarding Cummings.. not just the primary guy.. as he may only actually guard him 20 mins?
5. Data from more than 1 league.. 2 games just doubled the effect of one of your correlations.. this sample is very small atm.

Plus the correlations are pretty weak here. I think I calculated something around -.15 correlation of FGA to opposing Def before you posted those last 2 games.

Also.. you state that players like MJ are immune to this effect. In most leagues (open leagues, draft leagues with bigger pools) everyone's best players would then be immune? I don't know. I think you may be onto a little something but I'm not sure how important it is.

6/11/2013 8:00 PM (edited)
DEF FG% FGA
38-47 56.9 21.75
53-61 53.54286 18.14286
74-76 48.5 19.66667
80-90 45.18889 18.22222
100 46.425 14.5
6/11/2013 8:08 PM
Again,, VERY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.. especially broken into the obvious tiers of the data set..

But it would appear that DEF has pretty much no effect on FGA between 50-90 def in your data set.

The only real differences occur against below 50 and 100 def.

The effect on FG% is clearly there though.
6/11/2013 8:11 PM
Thanks for interpreting for me felon.  I obviously didn't explain myself clearly enough.  Here's what I'm getting at smokey.

Your post reads as if what you say is fact.  Then you attempt to prove your claims by posting a spreadsheet that took you all of 5 minutes to create using data you collected from approximately 20 games.  Seriously smokey.  20 games?  Gosh, I sure would like to see those 3-D graphs you created with the massive amounts of data you collected that you couldn't figure out how to post here so that I could understand the sim better.  

If you want to be taken seriously, try this:  Gather about 20 times as much data, then compile and post your findings.  I might actually be inclined to read the **** you post about it before telling you how ridiculous it is.  

Anyhow smokey, you're the dumbass.  And for you, that should read D-U-Mass.
6/11/2013 10:41 PM
Admin
To:
felonius
Received:
6/12/2013 10:24:00 AM
Subject:
Posting in the SimLeague Basketball Forums

After receiving a report about your posts in the Forum "DEFENSE - Does two things..." from a non-involved user, we would like to have you review the Fair Play Guidelines for Whatifsports.com.

Your language and communication tactics are not appropriate for our site. We will allow a certain amount of language, but not directly targeted at another user. Any further violations could result in a posting ban or a possible site ban.

Slymonium and Smokey57 are also receiving this warning.

Here is the link for the Guidelines:
http://whatifsports.com/locker/fairplay.shtm

Thank you,

Admin
6/12/2013 10:28 AM
wow I wonder if admin even read this thread or just responded to the complaint blindly? what language are we talking about here (at least in my case)? I also have to wonder who the 'uninvolved party' was
6/12/2013 10:33 AM (edited)
The only time we can get any sort of communication whatsoever is from the language police.
6/12/2013 10:42 AM
#130 Gameplay Q. How do defensive ratings affect the SimEngine results?
  A. The defensive rating of a particular player impacts the FG% of the player he is guarding as well as a lesser effect on the FG% of the other 4 offensive players, which simulates help defense.
6/12/2013 2:30 PM
#122 Roster Management Q. How does fatigue work?
  A. The Coach's Office displays each player's condition from 0% to 100% where 100% is no fatigue and 0% is completely exhausted.

If a player is fatigued you may want to rest him for a few games. The amount of rest needed depends on the player and what condition he is in.

A player's condition is calculated by comparing total real life minutes to the total SimLeague minutes based on the current minutes per game projected to 82 games.

Make sure to take total minutes into account when drafting. For seasons where teams played fewer than 82 games, players are given credit for total minutes prorated to 82 games. So a player who played 20 minutes every game in an 82 game season is equal to a player who played 20 minutes every game in a 50 game season.

The fatigue percent is approximately the percentage of performance you can expect from the player. Fatigue effects nearly every aspect of player performance
6/12/2013 2:31 PM
Posted by felonius on 6/12/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):
Admin
To:
felonius
Received:
6/12/2013 10:24:00 AM
Subject:
Posting in the SimLeague Basketball Forums

After receiving a report about your posts in the Forum "DEFENSE - Does two things..." from a non-involved user, we would like to have you review the Fair Play Guidelines for Whatifsports.com.

Your language and communication tactics are not appropriate for our site. We will allow a certain amount of language, but not directly targeted at another user. Any further violations could result in a posting ban or a possible site ban.

Slymonium and Smokey57 are also receiving this warning.

Here is the link for the Guidelines:
http://whatifsports.com/locker/fairplay.shtm

Thank you,

Admin
Felonius has seen derivatives of this email at least 50 times. It is like Lindsey Lohan getting a DUI at this point.

I have been following this and the assist thread and two amazing things stand out to me:

1. Smokey knows very little about the sim. Smokey makes conclusions and then attempts to backward engineer the hypothesis to fit. The problem is that all of this becomes so disjointed when trying to prove that which is unprovable.

2. The second is that ash, sly, and felonius are humoring him by keeping up the argument all for different reasons. Ash does it to prove he is right. Note how any time ash is questioned he flashes all of us his wis resume. Sly honestly thinks he can teach the unlearned. While this is a noble effort he is tilting at windmills. Felonius does it mainly because he loves screwing with people. I enjoy the snarky and sarcastic posts, so those should continue.
6/16/2013 8:59 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.