Real basketball skills...Got 'em? Topic

jimmymetzger's post reminded me that I've often wondered how many of the HD Coaches play basketball or have played the game in the past IRL. Not that it has any bearing on a successful career in a hoops sim game. I played PG in HS, and after that played in a ton of rec/YMCA/church leagues as well. Until I got sick I was with the same group of guys that met every Sunday evening [year-round] for the last 5 years to play basketball...hope to be rejoining them eventually. 

Who else has played HS/college or just a long career of pick-up games?
6/11/2013 3:43 PM
I play 2-3 times a week. Play above average defense, and stand around the 3 point line on offense.
6/11/2013 4:17 PM
I played soccer, which translates to being able to play pretty good defense (although I'm out of shape these days). I also have monkey arms, so I can rebound a little bit above my height class (which is only 5'10, so I'll still get crushed by your 6'2 or 6'3 guys). On offense? No shot to speak of, but can get to the rim if guarded by someone who isn't very quick. But all I've done is play pickup games. Even in a group of PhD students, I'm not one of the couple best players. 
6/11/2013 4:25 PM
Good luck rejoining em' Paul! I was the backup point on my High School's Sophomore team last year. I'm pretty slow, but I play good defense and knock down the open jumper.
6/11/2013 4:25 PM

I graduated HS in '88. Couldn't shoot a lick from the perimeter but was fast enough to drive the lane and kick it out to the jump shooters or get fouled and make it to the FT line, where I lived. In '90 and '92 I had arthroscopic surgeries on the same knee which sapped my speed but made me a better jump shooter, lol.  I still have a burst of speed every now and then that surprises a defender, but mostly I'll run the offense and try to knock down that open j. Like rebounding, too.

*I love  the game and wanna teach my son, who's 3 1/2, to love it as well. When he was 2 days old we sat in a rocking chair at the hospital and watched a Toledo Rockets-Cincinnati Bearcats game  .   This is the kind of thread I do when my team has a bye on the first day of conference play.

6/11/2013 4:45 PM
most i ever did was play in gym class or the driveway.  my old man played d1 back in the late 60s and early 70s and then coached high school until i was in about 6th grade so i was around it growing up but just always played other sports instead.
6/11/2013 7:28 PM
Bench warmer in high school before blossoming in the Air Force. Loved going back home on leave and destroying everyone in the Sunday Game at the high school gym. Great defender and rebounder for a 6' white/native american! Always the one in the box-and-one :)
6/11/2013 7:45 PM
I went to the Loyola Marymount/UNLV great eight game in Oakland.
6/11/2013 8:17 PM
I used to play pretty regularly...I still like to go shoot around for fun, but I never played in HS or college, wasn't good enough and one of the requirements for playing on the varsity team in HS was running a 6 minute mile and that just isn't me...I played football for 4 years in HS fwiw...but yeah I like to play...I'm terribly out of shape though and I've never seen a shot that I didn't like, but I also feel like I'm the guy that can/will make anything as well, so...
6/11/2013 8:24 PM
I played high school ball, I was Bruce Bowen, I was a DH 3-pt shooter on offense, just there to keep the ball moving and shoot three's if I was open. Was a plus defender, always had to guard the other team's best perimeter player. I tried playing intramurals at university but too many players who have never played the game so it was a hack fest and you'd go up for layups and guys would undercut you and everyone thought they were Seth Curry. In other words, my competiveness kept me from enjoying myself so I stopped playing. Just do pickup games with friends now.
6/11/2013 8:55 PM
Love the game especially college.  Played football and wrestled.  Love matchups and beting.  Spend hours on March Madness tournament anaylizing games.
6/11/2013 10:09 PM
I played for two years in high school then downsized to just rec leagues/streetball to focus on football/lacrosse. always had more fun playing streetball and got to play regularly for a few years after college.

i am now semi-desperate to find a league or a good streetball court after moving this past winter
6/11/2013 10:17 PM
I already posted my mixtape of awesome moves in the other thread, but for those of you who dare...
6/12/2013 8:40 AM
Posted by bistiza on 6/12/2013 8:40:00 AM (view original):
I already posted my mixtape of awesome moves in the other thread, but for those of you who dare...
bistiza used to play Outwar back in the day
6/12/2013 9:42 AM
I kind of sucked in real life, and I coached a YMCA team of 5th graders and sucked at that too :)

6/12/2013 9:55 AM
12 Next ▸
Real basketball skills...Got 'em? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.