Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

I have no problem that LeBron left for Miami.  I don't even place primary blame on him for the fiasco that was "The Decision", which to me marked the death of ESPN as the sports news entity it once excelled as.  The fact is, LeBron flat out quit on his team, right on the court, in front of the entire country on a pair of occasions in the playoffs, both times in game 5's against Boston.  Say what you will about his supporting cast, he flat out quit.  All the talent in the world can't make up for having no heart.
6/14/2013 11:28 AM
Cleveland didn't have enough cap space for all 3 unless they took massive discounts.
6/14/2013 12:00 PM
As I recall, they couldn't have even signed anyone other than LeBron without a sign and trade...
6/14/2013 12:08 PM
The Cavs didn't even have enough to offer LeBron a max deal absent having his Bird rights, and they had zilch in the way of trade assets.   So, in order to "make it happen", LeBron would have had to play for peanuts and convince the other 2 to do the same so that they could all 3 fit into 9-10 million dollars of total cap space, or convince Toronto and Miami to take virtually nothing in return for enabling their best players to go to a team that couldn't sign them otherwise.

You want to say he shouldn't have left Cleveland regardless, that's fine, it's your opinion.  But Bosh and Wade coming to Cleveland wasn't going to happen, and even just one of them coming was extremely improbable.  Going back to Cleveland would have been going back to more of the same.
6/14/2013 12:32 PM (edited)
That's more or less the most unreasonable stance I've ever heard. I think I'm only talking about the Lebron situation, but maybe for everything ever.
6/14/2013 12:30 PM
Posted by bistiza on 6/14/2013 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Right, because the team Jordan had to work with was JUST like a Boobie/Mo Williams-led Cavs team. Jordan had freaking Scottie Pippen. It's great that he didn't have to leave to find one of the greatest players ever to play with, but that's luck and Bills drafting skill, not Jordan's greatness.
So that's the way things work - sometimes luck is on your side, sometimes not.

Either way you don't whine and cry like a little ***** and then leave. If anything you say "I"ll work to bring the best players to the team I'm already on" and show some loyalty (especially if you grew up in the area of the team you're already on).

LeBron should have told D-Wade and Bosh to bring their *** to Cleveland or go **** themselves because he's the best and if they want to play with him, that's what they'll do.

He should not have let D-Wade make him his ***** and convince him to join the Heat instead. 

If I was LeBron, I'd have opened an invitation to Wade, Bosh, and any other free agent: Come to Cleveland to play and win a title with the king.

Instead he quit on and then bailed on his hometown team in a disgusting way, and if "karma" were true his career would have ended by now.

You clearly have no idea how the salary cap works. Also, you have the option to work and live in Cleveland or Miami, are you telling me you chose Cleveland so you can stroke your own ego? 

Evil_Twin, I understand that stance. However, I do not think LeBron looked at things and said F it I'm quitting on these dudes. I think at that time he wasn't as mentally strong as he needed to be and Boston bullied him into quitting in those games. He's completely over that mental block now as he demonstrated in Game 6 last season. 

6/14/2013 12:37 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 6/14/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):
I have no problem that LeBron left for Miami.  I don't even place primary blame on him for the fiasco that was "The Decision", which to me marked the death of ESPN as the sports news entity it once excelled as.  The fact is, LeBron flat out quit on his team, right on the court, in front of the entire country on a pair of occasions in the playoffs, both times in game 5's against Boston.  Say what you will about his supporting cast, he flat out quit.  All the talent in the world can't make up for having no heart.
As far as the decision go, it did great ratings for ESPN (they are a business afterall, higher ratings, higher commercial costs) and the event raised over $3 million for the Akron boys and girls club.  But I will see, I don't think he should have done it like that. But the way Dan Gilbert and Cavs acted after he chose Miami, I don't think there was a bad way for him to announce he was leaving, the least sincere the way, the better IMO.
6/14/2013 12:41 PM (edited)
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 6/14/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
As far as the decision go, it did great ratings for ESPN (they are a business afterall, higher ratings, higher commercial costs) and the event raised over $3 million for the Akron boys and girls club.  But I will see, I don't think he should have done it like that. But the way Dan Gilbert and Cavs acted after he chose Miami, I don't think there was a bad way for him to announce he was leaving, the least sincere the way, the better IMO.
I have always thought The Decision was scheduled with Lebron planning on coming back to Cleveland. 

Think about it. It was planned way in advance. He could bring in a bunch of money for local charities, announce he was coming back to his hometown team, and he would have been an absolute hero. Only a couple days before, Wade and Bosh put on the hard press and he realizes the opportunity is too good to pass up. He couldn't cancel the special because there was too much money at stake and ESPN wouldn't have let him. It's telling in watching The Decision that Lebron knew he was about to become the most hated person in Cleveland and was totally uncomfortable the entire night. 

Honestly, I know people want to hate him and The Decision is an great excuse to do so, but I think my explanation makes way more sense. In tracking Lebron's career, he rarely makes bad business decisions, and vilifying himself is just an absolute awful one. 
6/14/2013 12:58 PM
Posted by isack24 on 6/14/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 6/14/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
I have always thought The Decision was scheduled with Lebron planning on coming back to Cleveland. 

Think about it. It was planned way in advance. He could bring in a bunch of money for local charities, announce he was coming back to his hometown team, and he would have been an absolute hero. Only a couple days before, Wade and Bosh put on the hard press and he realizes the opportunity is too good to pass up. He couldn't cancel the special because there was too much money at stake and ESPN wouldn't have let him. It's telling in watching The Decision that Lebron knew he was about to become the most hated person in Cleveland and was totally uncomfortable the entire night. 

Honestly, I know people want to hate him and The Decision is an great excuse to do so, but I think my explanation makes way more sense. In tracking Lebron's career, he rarely makes bad business decisions, and vilifying himself is just an absolute awful one. 
I remember reading a Bill Simmons (ESPN, page 2) article right after the 2008 Olympics where he said someone in the know told him Lebron, Wade, ans Bosh to Miami was a done deal and it was all arranged while the 3 were playing in Beijing.  And he mentioned this multiple times in articles thereafter.  During the 2010 summer of free agency, Stephen A Smith repeatedly said the big 3 to Miami was a done deal (according to his sources).  I think most people (myself included) looked the other way though, hoping this wouldn't come to fruition.
6/14/2013 1:08 PM
Yeah, I'm long since over "The Decision", but that's a very rose colored reading of the situation.  It wasn't scheduled THAT far in advance, and I really doubt based on everything else that was out there that he changed his mind after it was scheduled, regardless of when he said he made up his mind.  I think raising money for the Akron Boys and Girls club was more like his attempt at a "parting gift."
6/14/2013 1:18 PM
Watching who?  I'm ignoring the NBA until a team returns to Seattle.
6/14/2013 1:18 PM
I'm glad Lebron decided to go to Miami. Lebron gave Cleveland his all and cav ownership NEVER did anything to put talent around him. Who was it first... an over the hill Shaq-then Antwone Jamison was just the last straw... Lebron James turned Mo Williams into an all star (now what is he doing?) and as someone already said led them to the finals in 07 singlehandedly... Again besides Iverson who has done that? As for the Boston series... what is a guy supposed to do when he is being quadrouple teamed and no one else on his team can hit an open shot? I'd give up too... sorry but those odds are just degrading as a game wears on.

Whether it was planned or not the decision to leave Cleveland has already gotten Lebron one ring and will likely get him two and it has also been very good for the NBA as people have rallied to hate this man hoping to see him fail. I don't mind if people hate Lebron, but to question his heart... lol seriously? I mean have you watched the guy play? Give credit where it's due. He's obviously not Jordan- I wouldn't even call him Magic (even tho it's the best comparison)... This guy is a beast which is currently unclassified who is still in his prime and still getting better... If he develops a consistent long range game or some kind of touch on his shot and freaking learns to hit his FT's... he will be even more unstoppable than he pretty much is already. I honestly think what Kenny Smith said sums it up - "Lebron James has the highest basketball IQ I've ever seen."
6/14/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 6/14/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I'm long since over "The Decision", but that's a very rose colored reading of the situation.  It wasn't scheduled THAT far in advance, and I really doubt based on everything else that was out there that he changed his mind after it was scheduled, regardless of when he said he made up his mind.  I think raising money for the Akron Boys and Girls club was more like his attempt at a "parting gift."
It was at least a week or two. It probably is a rose-colored view, although I can't say I really care how it went down, so maybe "rose-colored" doesn't apply, but I don't believe for a second that it was a done deal as early as Beijing. I'm sure they all talked about it, but I doubt he actually made his decision until after the season.
6/14/2013 1:43 PM

Did a search, the initial reports about the show came out 2 days beforehand, and they all refer to the discussion being ongoing at that point.  I'm sure things were in the works somewhat sooner than that, but regardless, while I don't believe it was a done deal in 2008, I do believe it was a done deal before "The Decision" was a go.

6/14/2013 2:05 PM
I remember even Mikhail Prokorov saying he thought LeBron was going to Miami after the Nets met with him. 
6/14/2013 2:09 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...28 Next ▸
Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.