UNO ! (Waitlist) fun draft! entire database open! Topic

Hey fellas- thanks for weighing in... I completely understand your points about teams & cities- I just know from past versions of UNO Drafts on the LIVE side that it's easier to go by the literal team name to avoid confussion even if teams like the Orioles did play in 2 different eras.  And someone could (and has before) started a Round or played a Reverse Card with the Boston Bees or Seattle Pilots- that's one reason why holding onto your Wild Card (or Reverse Card) could come in handy.  Otherwise everyone generally tries to grab the cheapest mop ups or bench players out there...

As far as 2 teams- I'm more than fine with that if we don't fill up in a couple of weeks.
I've got a 5-day beach vaca with my wife August 7th - 11th - so we won't get going until the week of August 12th at the earliest. 
I'm hoping we fill by then & can start the Draft off the clock that week of the 12th.

Thanks again for signing up !  It's a really fun Draft & if anyone has been in a League Draft I've run- I'm generally on WIS every couple of hours from work to update Draft Boards & make sure everything goes smoothly
7/29/2013 5:23 PM
I havent done a draft like this before but I'm not sure it would be fair to have players with two teams. Seems like that could provide a slight advantage during the draft.
7/29/2013 6:04 PM
Hopefully we can get 5 more owners- but otherwise from past versions of UNO - having 2 teams didn't really give those owners any extra advantage... We're all still trying to draft the best teams we can with the $120 million we have.  If there is any funny business with trading players between 2 teams in season, we can use the veto or if something slips through somehow that is obvious collusion, I can use the commish veto & put a ticket into admin to have the trade reversed
7/30/2013 10:15 AM
sure sign me up. I hope to be able to keep up is my only worry. I will be able to check the draft 2 or 3 times a day but not sure I will be on all day long to keep up.
7/30/2013 11:30 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome pick1or2 !  We should be running ahead of schedule for a lot of the draft & I can always take proxies for you or anyone else that needs them.  Only potential monkey wrench is if a Round is Reversed before your pick- but there should be enough good players per team so it won't be an issue. 
7/30/2013 11:51 AM
what kind of a time frame are we looking at for drafting? 1 hour in between picks 2 hrs etc. Can we pick up players after our time slot has passed, this of course would mean you would need to pick from the TEAM Round but would be missing out on possibly a couple good players picked up by fellow owners after your own allotted time slot/ Just might work better that way if there is a reverse card played rather than proxies. Just a suggestion ( I know I would prefer picking my own.)
7/30/2013 3:50 PM

Hoping to start up off the clock the week of August 12th & get a couple of Rounds in off the clock that week so everyone can get their bearings.  (I'm going to be on vacation at the beach for 5 days in August through the 12th without much internet)

30 minute timeslots seem to work best 10am - 10 pm (EST) - you can pick anytime after your timeslot starts regardless of missed picks ahead of you. 

To keep the fluidity of the Draft going & give everyone time to research who they might want to pick - whoever picks 1st in the next Round can fire away & name their team & player ahead of schedule anytime after the Round ahead of you is started.  (**for example- Round 1 is declared as the New York Yankees Round & Babe Ruth is named as the first player- whoever starts Round 2 can post his team and pick- example Atlanta Braves & Greg Maddux.) First drafted first served as far as as far as using using Reverses & Wild Cards- everyone does get one of them to play- just make sure you check the Players Taken LIst as there is only 1 instance of each player allowed.  If Rickey Henderson is drafted during the New York Yankees Round- he can't be drafted again during the A's Round.   The "freebie" Round 25 draft order will be determined by who used their Wild Card Last to First. 

I will post all of the Rounds in excel format and can designate next to the owners name when they have already used their Wild Card or Reverse by bolding "WC"  & "REV" respectively to both remind owners that they have already used them and for everyone else following in them  A Reverse Card can ONLY be played within your timeslot so everyone else in the Round can be made aware of it.  (I will be all over this draft every half hour & will sitemail everyone when a new Round is started or a Reverse os played to give everyone a heads up.

New Rounds can preferably begin the day/night before- hopefully owners are on the ball and we will be starting Rounds & declaring teams for the Rounds a day or 2 in advance.  If an owner up 1st for a particular Round DOESN'T pick a team by their timeslot- (or send me a proxy for one) we'll have to pause the Draft until they do.  Hopefully this won't become an issue.

A lot to take in- but everyone should pick it up pretty quickly.  The fun & agonizing startegy part of UNO is who to take in which Round, lol.  Any further clarifications I can make, no worries...fire away...

7/30/2013 5:08 PM
Color me confused on this first taken first served thing. But do you actually mean someone can start rd 2 and therefore we can't reverse in rd 1 to that team, because someone took that player in a rd that hasn't really started yet?
7/31/2013 7:56 AM
Posted by daddyzander on 7/31/2013 7:56:00 AM (view original):
Color me confused on this first taken first served thing. But do you actually mean someone can start rd 2 and therefore we can't reverse in rd 1 to that team, because someone took that player in a rd that hasn't really started yet?
That's how I read it, and it doesn't seem 'right'...

DBP
7/31/2013 9:10 AM
I made that tweak from other versions we ran because (I thought) that it would help keep the Rounds moving and started to give people time to research who they want to pick.  If we have to wait for everyone who has a possiblity to play a Reverse Card to play it- it could really clog up the process of getting the next Day's Round started.  A Reverse Card can still be used in the Round(s) previous- I just thought this would be a good way to encourage people to pick their Round team/player ahead of time for the fluidity sake of the Draft.

** But if you guys are adament that we should wait before starting the next day's Round- I can take out that verbage and we can wait until 10pm the night before (or when we are assured that no one has a Reverse Card left to play)  **  I was only trying to help owners out from having to be on after 10pm waiting for the next day's Round to be named.  Let me know how you feel, fellas !  Completely flexible on this.

7/31/2013 10:11 AM
It doesnt seem right to start the next round before any round is over - if someone picking 18th but is waiting to play a reverse to the Dodgers, and then someone starts the next round with the Dodgers. In the early rounds you may say he has many other options, but in later rounds his strategy would be destroyed.
7/31/2013 10:20 AM
** Maybe the League would be best served to stick to the original rules then ** 

I didn't mean to rock the boat...I was just trying to give everyone as much notice as to what the new Round / Team each day was going to be as soon possible.  Hopefully if you know you're up 1st to pick the Team Round the next day- everyone will be itching & ready to fire away with their pick the night before - and you all can definitely sitemail me your choice for me to post at 10pm if anyone is going to be out/asleep/unavailable for whatever reason.  If we need to pause the Draft & push the schedule back a day at any time- we can do that. 

We will definitely go off the clock for the first week & I can definitely make it a priority to keep the Boards Updated often & sitemail the League any team changes via Reverses and when new Rounds are started.  Thanks for your input, and if anyone else has any suggestions/questions/concerns, ect- fire away !  My feeling on Leagues has always been that it is EVERYONE'S League that participates.  I'm just here because I think the concept is a ton of fun & to help keep the wheels on the road   :-))

7/31/2013 11:24 AM
I will play two teams if you like - or maybe just set up the league with 20
7/31/2013 1:26 PM
I appreciate it SpotSell & I'll take a 2nd too if it'll get us to 24- I'm holding off til after next week because I'm going to be on vaca with the wife next Wednesday (8/7) - Monday (8/12) with limited internet.  If we're not @ 24 by then I was planning on sending out a mass sitemail to a couple hundred owners & figure we can pick up the spares there.  I would have done that this week had it not been for the vaca...
7/31/2013 4:18 PM
I say we go with 20 IF we don't get over the 20 mark by a certain time YOU post otherwise we wait. Just a personal view.
7/31/2013 5:11 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
UNO ! (Waitlist) fun draft! entire database open! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.