rookies in open leagues Topic

If I was Bill Turner I think I'd gladly change my name to Larry Larry
7/2/2013 2:18 PM
Larry Larry is good, but I think I prefer Major Pedro.
7/2/2013 4:54 PM
Seble Tardington would be an awesome rookie name...just saying
7/2/2013 10:20 PM
Thank felonius. :)  For some reason I didn't find him in my search. Long live the legend of Larry "Larry" Larry.
7/3/2013 7:27 PM
I know that we've established the correlation between rookies and real-life players, but...

Does that rookie also abide by the minutes that the real-life player played? I know the minutes that the real player played puts them into a durability category (C, D), but does that player's durability (more) specifically rely on the real-life player's exact minutes? I'm assuming the answer is yes. So, here's the problem:

I have three D durability rookies on one of my teams. Through seven games, Players A has played six games for a total of 72 minutes (12 mpg). Player B has played five games for a total of 63 minutes (12.6 mpg). Player A is at 100% energy, Player B is at 75%.

Player A correlates to 08-09 John Salmons, who played 979 minutes. Player B correlates to 70-71 Len Chappell, who played 537 minutes. 

Among the myriad problems with rookies, can there be this much variance within the durability rating? Two players with the same durability rating but one with almost half of the minutes of the other? Maybe this is old news, but I didn't realize there is as much variance as there is (or maybe I was under the impression that a D was a D was a D).

7/9/2013 1:58 PM
Each rookie abides by the minutes of the real-life player, so a durability ranking of a C or a D can often be very misleading. It is best to know who all your rookies are and plan minutes accordingly. At least from what I have found through trial and error.
7/10/2013 12:01 AM
Posted by benhoidal on 7/10/2013 12:01:00 AM (view original):
Each rookie abides by the minutes of the real-life player, so a durability ranking of a C or a D can often be very misleading. It is best to know who all your rookies are and plan minutes accordingly. At least from what I have found through trial and error.
Wrong: it is best to play in Leagues that don't use random rookies.
7/10/2013 12:04 AM
That may be, but my post is not wrong.
7/10/2013 12:23 AM
Posted by all3 on 7/10/2013 12:04:00 AM (view original):
Wrong: it is best to play in Leagues that don't use random rookies.
This.  I haven't played in an open league in years and have zero interest in doing so, mainly because the rookies make that part of the game so ridiculous and unrealistic that the "what if" premise that drew me to this site in the first place becomes far too diluted.  I'd much rather see the rookies done away with, and yeah, variable cap size for open leagues would be a great idea.
7/10/2013 10:12 AM
I think your best bet is to go thru the exercise of figuring out who your guy is in real life and checking out his RL minutes
7/10/2013 6:19 PM
I've never played in an open league before. Can someone explain to me how rookies work?Is it that you cut guys from your regular roster and get randomly named role players added to your roster? Do you have any say in position or style?
7/11/2013 2:42 PM
you have an IR squad of 3 players (in the GM's office tab) and at the beginning of the season that squad is comprised of 3 random 'rookies' who all appear to be renamed actual players of varying quality but whose cap value is somewhere between 1.0m to 2.0m (the three guys who I've researched were at least, this merits further research I'd say) -once the schedule is set you can activate the players on the IR list by swapping them onto your roster in favor of whatever players you like (most likely min salary scrubs if you're drafting right)

if my hypothesis concerning cap/salary value is accurate the inequity comes in to play when you start to see the variance of 'sim quality' from rookie to rookie

for instance on my current open league team my rookies are

Nicolas Batum's 09-10 900+ minutes of 61 efg with 130 3pa 1.9m
Anfernee Hardaway's 03-04 season which is good for 1200+minutes of tier 4 volume low efficiency 1.9m
Charles Hardnet's 63-64 600minute craptasticness (he cant shoot but at least he's also foul prone as hell) 1.0m

I am delighted to have Batum on my squad, Penny is ok not great, Hardnett is just crap on toast - since the selection of rookies is random-ish what if one team gets only players of Hardnet's quality while another gets players of Batum's quality? even if we assume each team got roughly 5m in salary they didn't get 5m of real sim value (not to mention if the 5m in salary value is variable and some guys get 5.2m and other 4.8m)
7/11/2013 3:24 PM (edited)
The selection of rookies may be random, but they come in groups. For example, if you were to get Batum again, you would also get Hardaway and Hardnet.
7/11/2013 3:42 PM
in that case it would be interesting to compare the various packages to see whether they are competitively balanced
7/11/2013 4:42 PM
From my experiences, they are not. For the most part I seem to get relatively competitive rookies, but every once in a while I get a stinker package and it really hurts my team.
7/12/2013 12:24 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
rookies in open leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.