D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Most like a vote for the most absurd comment of the week. Kidding Colonels. Sort of... ; ) 
6/30/2013 6:12 PM
Lol, you'd better get your water to a boil so you can poach my egg or salmon...players...whatever lol...because instead of ******** about people playing the game, I just play the game and recruit my *** off ;)
6/30/2013 7:38 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/30/2013 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Lol, you'd better get your water to a boil so you can poach my egg or salmon...players...whatever lol...because instead of ******** about people playing the game, I just play the game and recruit my *** off ;)
time will tell I guess.  In seriousness, no offense intended, but if you really are a top notch recruiter you must be a ****** scheduler and/or coach with the record you've posted here - I wouldn't be at all satisfied with that kind of run, even on a rebuild.

It is much easier to find those fringe D1 good D2 pulldown players when you are at low D1 and have 3x the D2 budget, but its not really easy to win meaningful D1 games with a roster full of d2 pulldowns...
6/30/2013 7:42 PM
Okay, I know this thread turned into a giant ******* contest, but I want to resurrect it anyways. colonels had a question that I think ended up going unanswered. 

In the OP, he asked what the conference tiers were (presumably in respect to some conferences being easier to get a job in than others). It turned into a giant war about how all D- are not created equal (which, obviously they're not, I think we're hopefully all agreed by this point). 

So I just checked, out of curiosity, in Allen, to see where I was qualified. I'm not planning on moving up, just wondering what I could do if I wanted to. 

I'm qualified for three C jobs (out of ten available), two Summit League and one Patriot. I'm qualified for three C- jobs (out of twelve available), a Patriot, an OVC, and a Southern. 

So it can't just be that some C- grades are better than other C- grades. If that's the explanation, then some C- grades are better than some C grades. But this is clearly absurd. 

The way I see it, there are two options (note I have A+ rep and A+ loyalty): 

1. There's randomness built in to whether you're qualified or not. 
2. Conference prestige (or conference baseline prestige, or SOMETHING along these lines) matters in what you're qualified for

If I read colonels correctly, his OP question was about #2. Does anyone have the answer? If that's the explanation, then in Allen, the Patriot and Summit are clearly on a lower tier than the Colonial, Horizon, Mountain West, WCC, Big East (duh), and Big West. 

Does that sound right to anyone? 

edit: we can take this even further, actually. I'm also not qualified for 12 D+ jobs (A-10, CAA, CUSA, Pac-10, MAC, Horizon), and I'm not qualified for eight D jobs (all CAA, MAC, Horizon, or A-10). There are two D- jobs I'm not qualified for. Both are Missouri Valley. So clearly conferences are at fault, right? Like really, really clearly. Isn't this the question this thread started with, or am I totally making it up? 

7/12/2013 12:54 AM (edited)
I'm not sure what conference affiliation colonels' targets had, but you are correct that conference matters. But it is coupled with schools having different things that are important as well. Not all C or C- or D or whatever are the same even within the same conference necessarily. Somewhere up thread I think (too lazy to look) someone talked about some of the possible variables, like post-season success or total wins, etc. (besides the obvious reputation issues which you don't have).

But some C- grades might be better than some C grades if the schools are emphasizing something you do well/have done well vs something the other school favors that you aren't as good at...I think...
7/12/2013 4:55 AM
Dacj, I actually think Tarvalon's scenario is strictly based on conference affiliation.  I think that where the variables that you mention come into play are when there is competition for a job.  I think that the initial qualification doesn't take any of that into account, and is based solely on the school's prestige, and the conference (with the outlying exceptions that take reputation into account).
7/12/2013 9:21 AM
"But some C- grades might be better than some C grades if the schools are emphasizing something you do well/have done well vs something the other school favors that you aren't as good at...I think..."

I may have said this earlier in the thread, but different schools definitely emphasize different things, dac is right.  I believe wins/ postseasons success/ longevity are some of those things, but I don't have solid proof.  Conference prestige/ affiliation is definitely one of those things.  One things i've noticed over the years is that you need absolute A+/A+ to get an Ivy league job.  

My other example is more recently, when I had A+ loyalty by B- rep (after cutting guys in consecutive seasons).  I was not qualified for EVERY D1 job except for B prestige Georgia and Fresno State.  So clearly, Fresno State and Georgia have lower thresholds for reputation than any other D1 schools, including all those D- schools.  I think that's a cool feature built into the game.  
7/12/2013 10:56 AM
You're wanting me to say something no doubt, so...

hey, what's up?

7/12/2013 11:00 PM
I actually don't think anybody was trying to bait you, Colonels.  But, nevertheless, hey right back atcha.
7/13/2013 9:50 AM
◂ Prev 123456
D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.