D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarvolon on 6/26/2013 11:25:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, even in the worlds where I want to move up, I'm not taking the easy jobs and riding someone's coattails up the chain. Not me either. But the fact of the matter is, whether you were left with a cushy situation or in a barren wasteland doesn't matter to WIS hiring logic. Should it? Yeah, I'd say so. But if all we're looking at is postseason success, I've not no problem with the D and above schools looking for somebody who's made a deeper postseason run. 
I totally get it...if I was more successful in the postseason we might not be having this conversation...with that said, I find WIS' format(s) to be inconsistent and at the very least, there's a lack of information.  I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable.

It's not just need some actual, you know, postseason success.

You've long taken pride in being what I believe you called a "scrub pounder" -- scheduling crappy teams. That is catching up with you as well. It hurts your rpi, your seeding, your resume. Your own strategy is part of what held you back.

6/27/2013 7:56 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 6/27/2013 12:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Llamanuts No offense, it kind of devalues your opinion because you haven't done it.  Who are you to analyze/judge a D1 resume when you haven't been there?  I'm not saying you don't have a right to your thoughts, but that kind of pops your balloon for me.
Haven't done what, seen what kind of jobs are available at different prestige grades? Read the forums? You don't need to have coached at D1 to know anything special about this issue.
But aren't we debating your DII resume? 
6/27/2013 8:53 AM
So, Colonels. just curious...what D1 D- job is it that you wanted that you couldn't get?  Or has this whole thing just been you whining that you weren't qualified for all D- jobs?  Because, basically, if you just coach one more season in D2 and make the NT, even with a first rd. exit, you would be eligible for all D- jobs next year, and probably most every D job.
6/27/2013 9:08 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
If all D- or whatever grade aren't the same, there should be a clear differentiation between all of them, because it's silly otherwise.  This just reaffirms to me that D2 is the place to be in this game.
Dude, it is a letter grade based on a number ... like school.

If you have a 73-77, it is a C ... however, 73 is not 77.

Its no different with a D- .. there is a numerical range (probably 60-64) that is a D- and you qualify for the bottom of that numerical range, but not the top. It is not hard at all to understand.
6/27/2013 2:50 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:15:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I still disagree with the premise, but I've basically come to terms with it.  I've applied to a D1 job I will get, but nothing is guaranteed beyond season 62.  I'm not as pumped about being back at D1 as I should be, and I feel that WIS makes the "quest" to D1, tiresome and fruitlessly limiting.

SW Minnesota State is a black hole and I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish there with a barren landscape of recruits.  I could have piggy-backed and got to D1 on the coattails of someone else, but that's just not me.  When I first took over the job, the quest was never for D1 but it was to take over a SW Minnesota State team that only had 1 win from a human coach previously and turn them around.  When I saw the amount of D1 virgins in Knight, I perked up...rightly or wrongly that's become my thing in HD, and sadly, I won't be able to coach any of the human-less teams that I initially sought when I decided I wanted to make D1 there...it is what it is.  D1 never seems to be worth the hassle once I get there, I guess that says it all...

Getting to D1 is tiresome, eh? You really think so? Well, you clearly showed that here when I brought up how long it takes to get to a Big 6 school...

Wait, nevermind, I was mistaken. You tried to make some veiled reference to accusations you've made of my opinions in general in recent threads. NOW you can't get to a certain D- D1 school and you start crying about almost the exact same thing.

Schools have different desires in their coach. Some want recent success, some want prolonged success, some will make exceptions for loyalty, some won't, etc. God-forbid there's some variety in the game. Most people will agree the game is better this way. You should face this reality instead of pulling your whole soapbox "JUST BECAUSE I'M ALONE DOESN'T MEAN I'M WRONG" routine. For a game that is trying to be fun for everyone, yes, in this case, being alone after extended discussion means you ARE wrong. 

Look, colonels, this game is hard. Really hard. Getting better at the game "your way" is clearly taking a long time, while others are passing you by. We're all playing the same game and you have nobody to blame for your failures to succeed but yourself.

Part of the difficulty in the game comes from randomness and things outside your control - that doesn't mean the game is broken. You can make suggestions, sure, but don't expect to be taken seriously unless you can back it up with sound logic.

BTW, belated GG there, twas a good 1st round matchup. You did get a bad draw since I was definitely better than a 12 seed, I'm just in a tough conference and started slow. I actually had a GG response for you along the lines of "GG, please be more gentle with Perkins in non-conference next season, he's very fragile" but then I saw you were "leaving" so I lost interest.

As a side note, my leading scorer and the CCAA player-of-the-year got injured 2 minutes into the game and I still beat you as a 12v5. Probably a sign you were also a bit overseeded and your team, despite the A- prestige, wasn't very good.
6/27/2013 3:44 PM
Posted by girt25 on 6/27/2013 7:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarvolon on 6/26/2013 11:25:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, even in the worlds where I want to move up, I'm not taking the easy jobs and riding someone's coattails up the chain. Not me either. But the fact of the matter is, whether you were left with a cushy situation or in a barren wasteland doesn't matter to WIS hiring logic. Should it? Yeah, I'd say so. But if all we're looking at is postseason success, I've not no problem with the D and above schools looking for somebody who's made a deeper postseason run. 
I totally get it...if I was more successful in the postseason we might not be having this conversation...with that said, I find WIS' format(s) to be inconsistent and at the very least, there's a lack of information.  I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable.

It's not just need some actual, you know, postseason success.

You've long taken pride in being what I believe you called a "scrub pounder" -- scheduling crappy teams. That is catching up with you as well. It hurts your rpi, your seeding, your resume. Your own strategy is part of what held you back.

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to and I wouldn't use that term to describe myself/my scheduling any longer.  I didn't schedule for SW Minnesota State in season 61 because, quite frankly, I didn't expect to be there, but it turned out to be a great season until we hit the CT...and as much as I may playfully chide jetwildcat, he's really a hell of a coach, and he's the one that disposed of me in the NT...the dreaded 5-12 go figure.
6/27/2013 6:49 PM
Posted by arssanguinus on 6/27/2013 7:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 6/26/2013 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 7:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 6/26/2013 3:31:00 PM (view original):
More whining from colonels. Figures. If you had more success in the NT you wouldn't feel the need to complain about what D- teams you are qualified for.
The problem with you is that you haven't the mental capacity to see HD from a business point of view, so the last thing I'm going to do is even attempt to listen to someone whose main goal is to remove paying customers from the game.  Go row your boat somewhere, Gilligan...
So WIS should cater to the dumbass who can't understand that all D- prestiges aren't created alike?

There's also a baseline prestige element involved where you can be qualified for a C school with a D baseline, but not a D+ school with a B- baseline. I saw thought when I was trying to get an A10 school.

If you spent less time being a forum troll and more on your teams, you might find a way to get the team you want. You pouting isn't going to get the job done.
Dude, I get that there are at least 3 degrees of a third of a letter grade (given the evidence that I presented), but it's absolutely ridiculous.  To be a longshot for a D and not qualified for a D- is laughable.  I know you're a rules/yes sir kind of guy, so you're not intelligent enough to think for yourself or outside the box at all, what the rules say, goes...and that's your downfall as has been shown in many facets of this game.

I didn't need to spend any more time on my teams than what I did, they got the attention and care that they needed and deserved.

Trev, by now I'm nit one that "trolls you" just to troll you - but aren't YOU the one refusing to think outside your predetermined box here? You have already determined the answer and are by fiat rejecting anyones explainations without consideration. If you had won that first round game, I would wager you would have many more jobs open to you. Personally, I like a nonlinearly determined hiring process. And yes. I have been to d1.
I've really come to value and respect your opinion/input, so even if you were trolling me at this point, I wouldn't mind.  You're right...I dig in really deep when I feel strongly about something.  I mind that there are at least 3 levels of qualification within each third of a letter grade, but I at least would mind it less if they made the differentiation, viewable.  It's practically moot now...I took a D1 job (Coppin State in Knight) and I'm lukewarm about getting after it with this team...I hope that changes.  Thanks for weighing in as always.
6/27/2013 6:53 PM
Posted by abitaamber on 6/27/2013 9:08:00 AM (view original):
So, Colonels. just curious...what D1 D- job is it that you wanted that you couldn't get?  Or has this whole thing just been you whining that you weren't qualified for all D- jobs?  Because, basically, if you just coach one more season in D2 and make the NT, even with a first rd. exit, you would be eligible for all D- jobs next year, and probably most every D job.
I actually wanted a D that I expected to drop to a D- but didn't.

I applied to Eastern Michigan and Middle Tennessee State since they've never had a human coach...I was a longshot and both of them couldn't tell me gfy fast enough.

Again it's all basically moot at this point, but D1 has rolled out of the wrong side of the bed for me...so we'll play it by ear..

6/27/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 6/27/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
If all D- or whatever grade aren't the same, there should be a clear differentiation between all of them, because it's silly otherwise.  This just reaffirms to me that D2 is the place to be in this game.
Dude, it is a letter grade based on a number ... like school.

If you have a 73-77, it is a C ... however, 73 is not 77.

Its no different with a D- .. there is a numerical range (probably 60-64) that is a D- and you qualify for the bottom of that numerical range, but not the top. It is not hard at all to understand.
Shaddap
6/27/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 6/27/2013 3:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:15:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I still disagree with the premise, but I've basically come to terms with it.  I've applied to a D1 job I will get, but nothing is guaranteed beyond season 62.  I'm not as pumped about being back at D1 as I should be, and I feel that WIS makes the "quest" to D1, tiresome and fruitlessly limiting.

SW Minnesota State is a black hole and I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish there with a barren landscape of recruits.  I could have piggy-backed and got to D1 on the coattails of someone else, but that's just not me.  When I first took over the job, the quest was never for D1 but it was to take over a SW Minnesota State team that only had 1 win from a human coach previously and turn them around.  When I saw the amount of D1 virgins in Knight, I perked up...rightly or wrongly that's become my thing in HD, and sadly, I won't be able to coach any of the human-less teams that I initially sought when I decided I wanted to make D1 there...it is what it is.  D1 never seems to be worth the hassle once I get there, I guess that says it all...

Getting to D1 is tiresome, eh? You really think so? Well, you clearly showed that here when I brought up how long it takes to get to a Big 6 school...

Wait, nevermind, I was mistaken. You tried to make some veiled reference to accusations you've made of my opinions in general in recent threads. NOW you can't get to a certain D- D1 school and you start crying about almost the exact same thing.

Schools have different desires in their coach. Some want recent success, some want prolonged success, some will make exceptions for loyalty, some won't, etc. God-forbid there's some variety in the game. Most people will agree the game is better this way. You should face this reality instead of pulling your whole soapbox "JUST BECAUSE I'M ALONE DOESN'T MEAN I'M WRONG" routine. For a game that is trying to be fun for everyone, yes, in this case, being alone after extended discussion means you ARE wrong. 

Look, colonels, this game is hard. Really hard. Getting better at the game "your way" is clearly taking a long time, while others are passing you by. We're all playing the same game and you have nobody to blame for your failures to succeed but yourself.

Part of the difficulty in the game comes from randomness and things outside your control - that doesn't mean the game is broken. You can make suggestions, sure, but don't expect to be taken seriously unless you can back it up with sound logic.

BTW, belated GG there, twas a good 1st round matchup. You did get a bad draw since I was definitely better than a 12 seed, I'm just in a tough conference and started slow. I actually had a GG response for you along the lines of "GG, please be more gentle with Perkins in non-conference next season, he's very fragile" but then I saw you were "leaving" so I lost interest.

As a side note, my leading scorer and the CCAA player-of-the-year got injured 2 minutes into the game and I still beat you as a 12v5. Probably a sign you were also a bit overseeded and your team, despite the A- prestige, wasn't very good.
Ironically enough, I was going to reference your thread/situation to cite the differences and show how these situations are apples and oranges...I'm talking about D- D1 jobs and you're talking about moving up to low Big 6 teams...it should be harder to get a Big 6 job from D1 than it is to get a D- job from D2.  My resolution for my problem benefits everyone.  Your resolution to your problem benefits you.

If you want to tell me that I'm "wrong" because we have a difference of opinion...fine...but understand that you're actually the one that's incorrect.

And of course after I give you a bit of respect/acknowledgement, you go and rubber stamp your chooch card again.  I'll keep playing my way and I'll enjoy the highs and lament the lows...if I wanted you or anyone else to gameplan for me, I'd sitemail you.

6/27/2013 7:19 PM (edited)
Posted by llamanunts on 6/26/2013 8:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 7:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm qualified for 45 D1 jobs and a longshot for 28 (and seemingly longshot is a nice(r) way of say not qualified).  There are 11 D- jobs that I'm "not qualified" for.

Again tarvolon, I'm not sure what kind of jobs you're looking for, but I'm talking strictly about D- jobs.  I'm not the best coach, but I'm no slouch either...not great with the Xs and Os, but I can recruit pretty well.  I've earned the right to coach D1 in Knight.  The fact that WIS would rather have sims coach D- jobs than humans is rather mind boggling.

Wait, wait, wait...

61 colonels19 27-2 13-0 13-0 1-2 16-0 14 27 120 A- Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
60 colonels19 26-4 10-2 14-0 2-2 15-1   49 127 B Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
59 colonels19 11-17 2-9 8-7 1-1 6-10   175 180 C+  
58 colonels19 19-11 6-6 11-4 2-1 13-3   58 42 B PI (1st Round)
57 colonels19 23-6 11-1 11-3 1-2 14-2   46 128 B NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
56 colonels19 18-11 9-4 7-6 2-1 11-5   108 203 C+  
55 colonels19 15-13 7-7 7-5 1-1 9-7   201 275 C  
54 colonels19 9-19 5-8 3-10 1-1 5-11   192 148 C-  

That's earning the right to coach D1 in Knight?

Holy effing balls.  Someone with THAT resume is COMPLAINING about not being qualified for certain D1 jobs?  Really?  I find that to be quite funny.  Man, you really should just be happy to be qualified for ANY D1 job.  All of the evidence you need to know that this coach has yet to grasp some of the finer points of HD are right there on that resume.  Frankly, that resume shouldn't qualify anyone for any D1 jobs.  Period.

Best SOS so far?  42.  Second best?  120.  Average SOS? 153.
Best RPI so far? 46.  Average RPI? 107.
Best NT performance?  One-and-done.
Post season appearance %? 50% (and that is with a 1-and-done PIT bid in there...)
Conference tournament championships? 0
NT wins? 0
PIT wins? 0
Number of seasons with a losing record? 2 out of 8 (including 3 seasons ago)

I know it seems like I'm piling on, but I'm simply trying to make a point.  There are a lot of things you can look at to see if a coach is prepared for D1.  From the looks of that resume, I would expect that coach to get crushed by most D1 coaches.

6/29/2013 9:21 AM
Someone had some cold porage this morning...
6/29/2013 10:37 AM
I can't wait to start recruiting this eve to weed out the liars and fabricators of truth here...now we'll see what I can really pull...
6/30/2013 1:44 PM
I'm just waiting to see who's interested in you and then attempting to steal them. 
6/30/2013 5:17 PM
Posted by thinair on 6/30/2013 5:17:00 PM (view original):
I'm just waiting to see who's interested in you and then attempting to steal them. 
Sounds like a vote of confidence in colonels' recruiting ability.
6/30/2013 5:29 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.