High Schools and areas missing in recruiting Topic

There are plenty of public schools in the mix, guys...
7/1/2013 10:44 AM
Not in all areas or all states, jeffsu. That's the problem.

When I looked up the info online a while ago, I remember it said there are 500 public schools in the state of Pennsylvania, but I couldn't find recruits from any of them anywhere close to my DII school of Clarion at the time (in Clarion, Pennsylvania).

7/1/2013 10:49 AM
There are zero public schools in Oregon, all of them are small private schools.  I don't think it matters as long as the recruits are distributed properly, it's just a little strange.
7/1/2013 11:57 AM
That's my point, though, bullman - I don't think the recruits are distributed properly (or at least not with anything resembling how they would fall in real life).

In the example I gave, my DII Clarion University couldn't find a single recruit within 30 miles and only five in two seasons within 70 miles, yet there are at least seven public school districts within 20 miles of the school, so I'm sure there would be recruits on some level if it were real life.

7/1/2013 1:24 PM
They could magically add every public, private and homeschooled "school" to the database, but it wouldn't change the distribution of recruits... high school names are cosmetic. The distribution is based more on the number of schools, metropolitan areas, etc... I think this is one of those nit-picky threads that has no bearing on the game...
7/1/2013 10:23 PM
Posted by jeffsu on 7/1/2013 10:23:00 PM (view original):
They could magically add every public, private and homeschooled "school" to the database, but it wouldn't change the distribution of recruits... high school names are cosmetic. The distribution is based more on the number of schools, metropolitan areas, etc... I think this is one of those nit-picky threads that has no bearing on the game...
I think you're missing the point jeffsu. Recruits are placed within states based on the number of schools and roster openings. But distribution of recruits WITHIN each state is a function of whatever database they pulled school names and locations from, and that's what the OP has issue with. If schools that exist within a stone's throw of his campus aren't in the database WIS pulls from, he's never going to have a chance to use his 70-mile circle to get a kid to campus. If Oregon is using only private schools to locate recruits, then there are going to be areas of the state that will never, ever get recruits stuck in them because there are no private schools located there in real life. If schools in Western Texas aren't in there (I can't say with certainty that they're not, but I'm lucky to have an in-state kid within 200 miles of Sul Ross St. other than the 1 D1 kid that El Paso seems to produce every other year.)

I'm not saying you need a PhD in topology and recruits need spread equidistant around campuses. Urban areas should be magnets for talent. But every school in the game should occasionally be able to get a kid from their home town and the immediate vicinity, and it sounds like there are at least a few schools in the game where that's not the case. (Come to think of it, I don't ever recall a kid close to me in Presque Isle either but then again there probably aren't many schools near Presque Isle other than what's in that community...)

7/2/2013 6:16 AM
But every school in the game should occasionally be able to get a kid from their home town and the immediate vicinity, and it sounds like there are at least a few schools in the game where that's not the case.

This, exactly.

I understand less kids will come from rural areas - that mirrors real life. However, less kids doesn't mean ZERO kids.
7/2/2013 8:31 AM
◂ Prev 12
High Schools and areas missing in recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.