ODL Division Draft Results Topic

edit: something snarky

6/27/2013 11:51 PM
okay, we'll see now hopefully one of them is interested :)
6/28/2013 12:07 AM
I will pass my chance to draft my division to the next in line please. Just too busy right now. Thanks.
6/28/2013 12:38 AM
Coach is busy this weekend but he is interested in having us in his division aren't you nate the next in line since you were runner up last season?
6/28/2013 12:54 AM
Actually DH is next and already has the option since Eleibo and Vance both passed, if either Dh OR Coach passes then I'd be next in line.

Already let the other guys know that if I draft I will use the groups that I have made public to create my rankings with the exception of taking you in the 3rd round no matter what.

Right now the issue may be theyard's list, he has you ranked #9, he selects 1,8,9, so if all of the 8 teams he has above of yours go in the first 8 picks then you would be his selection in the 3rd round. The good news is that he also has another team in his top-8 that would not be selected early by either me or felonius, but the other 7 are all likely to go early, if he dropped you by one slot then you would be assured of not being his pick in the 3rd round either.

Feloniue goes 2, 7, 10 and you are not in his top-10, so he would not be taking you in the 3rd no matter what.

If only one of Dh or Coach pass but not both then I would pick 4,5,12,13. You actually would fall in the 11-13  (felonius is in my top 12 but since he is drafting is not on the list) range on my list anyway, so I would not have to actually manipulate anything to pick you (which I REALLY don't want to do because it is bad for the integrity of the entire process.)

So as long as theyard does not get you with the #9 pick and one of either DH or Coach passes and the other does not rank you in their top-11 (3rd guy picks 3,6,11) then you would be in my division. 

Maybe theyard doesn't see much difference between your team and the guy he has ranked #10 and is willing to flip his rankings, or maybe it will all work out anyway and his top-8 won't be the first 8 selected. I prefer to see how it plays out, because asking theyard to flip you even one slot is manipulating the process, and that would give those who are against this some ammo to discontinue it.

6/28/2013 2:09 AM
resubmitted
6/28/2013 7:32 AM
Posted by natenoy on 6/28/2013 2:09:00 AM (view original):
Actually DH is next and already has the option since Eleibo and Vance both passed, if either Dh OR Coach passes then I'd be next in line.

Already let the other guys know that if I draft I will use the groups that I have made public to create my rankings with the exception of taking you in the 3rd round no matter what.

Right now the issue may be theyard's list, he has you ranked #9, he selects 1,8,9, so if all of the 8 teams he has above of yours go in the first 8 picks then you would be his selection in the 3rd round. The good news is that he also has another team in his top-8 that would not be selected early by either me or felonius, but the other 7 are all likely to go early, if he dropped you by one slot then you would be assured of not being his pick in the 3rd round either.

Feloniue goes 2, 7, 10 and you are not in his top-10, so he would not be taking you in the 3rd no matter what.

If only one of Dh or Coach pass but not both then I would pick 4,5,12,13. You actually would fall in the 11-13  (felonius is in my top 12 but since he is drafting is not on the list) range on my list anyway, so I would not have to actually manipulate anything to pick you (which I REALLY don't want to do because it is bad for the integrity of the entire process.)

So as long as theyard does not get you with the #9 pick and one of either DH or Coach passes and the other does not rank you in their top-11 (3rd guy picks 3,6,11) then you would be in my division. 

Maybe theyard doesn't see much difference between your team and the guy he has ranked #10 and is willing to flip his rankings, or maybe it will all work out anyway and his top-8 won't be the first 8 selected. I prefer to see how it plays out, because asking theyard to flip you even one slot is manipulating the process, and that would give those who are against this some ammo to discontinue it.

if you wanna help! Starr SM people to ask them if say yes like coach.... now SM the other guys to not draft us.... simple as that!!
6/28/2013 9:40 AM
and coach isn't available this weekend!
6/28/2013 9:41 AM
and remember 98, you and me.... and since you seem to understand this process SM whoever needs to be done to make it happen if you need my help let me know :)
6/28/2013 9:44 AM
Who are the owners that are drafting?
6/28/2013 10:06 AM
We are all set now in terms of who is drafting:
theyard as league champ
felonius as runner up
dh555 as the final-8 team with the best record that did not pass
natenoy as the next best final-8 team that did not pass\

Three teams passed (Eleibowitz, coach, and Vancem) and one dropped out (tad) thus dh and I were next in line.

6/28/2013 11:34 AM

Tang,

It’s very important that you and everyone else understands the “purpose” of the division draft and why I can’t simply select your team and 98’s with my first two picks to appease our bet and place us all in the same division.

The reason we are doing this is because FAR too many times with WIS random alignment there is a division that has say the likes of tar, ash, felonius, vance, dh, and theyard. The season after tar and I met in the finals we ended up in the same division with three other teams that had made the playoffs the year before, while there was a division that did not have anyone with a winning record from the season before. We do this to maximize the chance that the better teams are separated from each other, and that luck of the division draw does not become more important than the draft itself.

I will pick 4,5,12,13 and be left with team 20 this draft. IMO there are 4 teams that are not likely to win 30 games and another 4-6 that are not very likely to have a winning record. With my first pick I will take one of the 4 teams that I believe is very unlikely to be competitive, and assuming the four teams drafting all agree on who the bottom-4 are then with the 5th pick I’ll be picking one of the teams that I believe is not likely to have a winning record. By the time I pick again at 12 and 13 there is a very strong chance that all of the teams  I believe are not likely to compete will have been selected and I will be adding two playoff caliber teams to the division, then I’ll get stuck with the team no one else wants in their division.

SO, what happens if I draft you and 98 with my first two picks? IMO you both are playoff caliber teams, so I will have started the draft by picking two strong teams. When the draft gets back to me there is nothing left but strong teams, so I would then be forced to add two more, and finally add the team no one else wants. Our division would have 6 playoff caliber teams, and two other divisions would get to select an extra team that is not likely to compete. This would defeat the entire purpose of doing a division draft in the first place. Get it? 

6/28/2013 12:49 PM
Translation: natenoy is scared of our teams
6/28/2013 4:20 PM

I had no real position on this matter other than "anything beats letting SIM stack the league". I'm reading these post with some alarm, I would like to see certain owners grouped into a division also, but it looks like this method is also going to introduce a lot of bias. I would prefer the "24 pieces of paper and a bucket" method, that way the division assignments are without bias. This still beats letting SIM stack the league...

6/28/2013 4:48 PM
If we do this before the draft it would reduce the bias to a owners reputation. That's still a strong bias...
6/28/2013 5:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
ODL Division Draft Results Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.