After many seasons of GD....I have decided Topic

Posted by bhazlewood on 7/2/2013 8:57:00 PM (view original):
Plus, the ability to change player positions with little to no penalty made it easier to find monster RBs to go along with the monster OL's.  

I don't think 1.0 was the nirvana that some people here believe it to be, but it certainly was better than what we have now.  It probably could have used some tweaks in recruit generation, to make QB's (and therefore passing) more viable.
No doubt that moving players helped. I hit the jackpot moving rbs to te. It had flaws, but the entire GD world was active and fun.

Moving players was a huge part of recruiting, and it happens all the time in real life.
7/2/2013 11:55 PM
Posted by dwhit34 on 7/2/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
People ran the ball so much because they had better talent.  It was an easy win when your players are better.  That being said, I won NC's by throwing almost every play.  You needed talent to win- that was the bottom line.
Once you understood the general concepts, all you had to do was build a team. I mean that's a an over simplification. But, if you put the time in you could be successful
running or passing. But, talent was king. Recruiting and game planning (or game management) meant something.

7/3/2013 12:34 PM
Posted by shonuff504 on 7/3/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dwhit34 on 7/2/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
People ran the ball so much because they had better talent.  It was an easy win when your players are better.  That being said, I won NC's by throwing almost every play.  You needed talent to win- that was the bottom line.
Once you understood the general concepts, all you had to do was build a team. I mean that's a an over simplification. But, if you put the time in you could be successful
running or passing. But, talent was king. Recruiting and game planning (or game management) meant something.

Right.  Get the talent to fit your system.  How many of the complainers ("you could just run the ball"-whiners)
1) had the stamina in the backfield and OL to CONSTANTLY run the ball
2) had the understanding to platoon their guys based on skill set to best utilize the game plan
3) used their best QB in running plays thus making him tired for passing plays
I could go on...but when coaches would ask for help, I would log into their accounts and the stuff I saw was chaos.  So clearly, many coaches didn't understand what the engine did (not that I understood it, but I felt I had SOME idea), and some really wanted to learn.  However, others just complained.  Now you have this! 

While many coaches have left and many have stayed, the complainers got what they wanted- an engine that appears to have very little rhyme or reason.  
7/3/2013 1:21 PM
But at least everyone can win now!!
7/3/2013 4:31 PM
Except me.
7/3/2013 5:07 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 7/3/2013 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Except me.
Your coin flip is coming soon
7/3/2013 5:38 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 7/3/2013 4:31:00 PM (view original):
But at least everyone can win now!!
Good old USA. Everyone gets a trophy! Don't spend countless dollars and time learning something, that would be stupid.

7/3/2013 6:55 PM
Both are/were broken, but 1.0, I remember reading pbp's of games and you'd know as soon as 1 team punted their chances of winning took a nosedive. The rest of the pbp, I'd just be looking to see if the other team punted & made it a game again. Many many many games the winner would be who scored last before time ran out.

The upside of 1.0 was you could see that your input into the equation changed the result. With the random factor in 2.0, it's very hard to tell without many many games of results.

Maybe WiS should set up a GD 1.0 game (call it GD Classic) to run alongside 2.0 & let the users vote with their dollars....
7/6/2013 6:18 PM
I have made it to the national championship game 6 times in the last 12 seasons with only one team.  That has to be more than luck.  There is some randomness to 2.0, but overall the best team wins 90%.
7/8/2013 2:19 PM
"Both are/were broken, but 1.0, I remember reading pbp's of games and you'd know as soon as 1 team punted their chances of winning took a nosedive"

THIS. At the highest levels in 1.0 the two teams would run every down and score almost every time. I find 2.0 to be much more realistic. 
7/8/2013 7:13 PM
I am somewhat new compared to most of the players who post on here.  I was never able to play on whatever version 1.0 is.  I see lots of posts talking about the randomness of it.  I tend to disagree with what little I have seen.  My team in Hiesman (Huntindgon) was won 3 NC's in the past 6 years and I have made it to at the least the "elite 8" in each of the past 6 seasons.  It also seems like I see some of the same teams once we get down to the very end of the playoffs.  I think that their may be a little bit of luck involved, I personally do not think it's as much as most think.
7/8/2013 10:03 PM
johnyluv151 and porkbellybob - It is not luck.  The best team usually wins.  But there is far less of a connection between talent, gameplanning and winning in 2.0 and beta.  With all due respect to your teams, you're playing in empty worlds and still haven't put together a dynasty.  Playing in 1.0, neither of your teams would have had the necessary talent or depth to win an NC.
7/9/2013 12:32 AM
That is the one aspect that we are missing in the testing, is building a team up. While I don't think 2.0 is perfect, this version has a ways to go
7/9/2013 1:26 AM
You can recruit yourself deep into the playoffs every season, but there is very little causality in 2.0 and 3.0's game planning. When you lose to a less talented team, the box score rarely tells you why. There's no way to tell if you actually have a flawed game plan, or if you just lost the coin flip. It's pretty obvious that the game doesn't work the way WIS says it does; otherwise the hundreds and thousands of random results would average out over the course of a game, and talent would be the deciding factor. Instead, you get games where a vastly inferior team wins because they beat a vastly superior team on both sides of the ball for the entire game.

I'm a pretty good recruiter, especially in the lower divisions. I can build a talented team. What I CAN'T do is improve my game planning, because I never know if a particular change works or not. The box score doesn't tell me, and I don't see anything in 3.0 that will tell me, either. There is no causality build into the engine. That doesn't mean the game isn't still fun, but I just can't muster the energy to recruit at a high level anymore, because having a talented team just isn't enough.

Hopefully, WIS will do something about this, if they ever get off their "simulation" kick. I'm just not willing to spend my time and money while I wait anymore.

7/9/2013 9:05 AM
Posted by johnnyluv151 on 7/8/2013 2:19:00 PM (view original):
I have made it to the national championship game 6 times in the last 12 seasons with only one team.  That has to be more than luck.  There is some randomness to 2.0, but overall the best team wins 90%.
I hear your explanation that there is more to it then luck on your 6 NC games. And I would agree.

I would be more curious to hear your explanation on how a coach in season 89 wins the NC over you?

Dickinson:   That coach won 1 CC in 9 years. Did not win the CC the year he won the NC. Only made the playoffs in 4 of those 9 years. Never made it past the 2nd rd. The year prior - was a 1st rd loser. The year after the NC... was a 1st rd loser.... Guess Rank that year = 13th... 26th best recruit class. Missed the playooffs in season 87.

I know if would be very difficult to look at since it was 3 seasons ago - but If anyone could give me a logical explanation, I would love to hear it....

And please don't say... his team just decided to play great and above their heads during playoff time.....
7/9/2013 1:07 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
After many seasons of GD....I have decided Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.