Is the cutter a breaking ball? Topic

What is a change-up?  This is semantics.  You're both right
6/28/2013 1:16 PM
change-up is an off speed pitch
6/28/2013 1:30 PM
My thinking any ball thrown with a grip or motion intentionally intended to cause a "break" is a breaking ball.    Fastballs that tail don't count as it's just a natural grip/motion..

Knuckleball?  Breaking ball.
6/28/2013 1:39 PM
I actually understand that point, and pretty much agree with it.  While it is technically a fastball, it derives its effectiveness from the late break as opposed to the speed.

I voted for putting though because I couldn't toss a "yes" next to that bit about an 18-24 inch break.
6/28/2013 1:45 PM
I already admitted that I'm retarded for 18-24.  But I do think there's at least the illusion of an 18 inch break.   Arm angle and delivery location.  I do think 12 is certainly possible.
6/28/2013 1:55 PM
I also like pudding.
6/28/2013 1:55 PM
A cutter does break. But if I'm listening to a game on the radio and the play-by-play guy goes "breaking ball, inside for a ball" I'm not considering a cutter, I'm thinking slider, curve, slurve, etc. I did think about it, but voted fastball.
6/28/2013 1:56 PM
i didn't think about it. it's a fastball
6/28/2013 1:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/28/2013 1:55:00 PM (view original):
I already admitted that I'm retarded for 18-24.  But I do think there's at least the illusion of an 18 inch break.   Arm angle and delivery location.  I do think 12 is certainly possible.
The data would back up the idea of a possibility here and there, just not a normal occurance.  I would say the ones in that gif I put up were all just a couple inches.  The issue is the break is so late.    Most of the time it doesn't really distinguish itself from a regular fastball until it's nearing the front of the plate.
6/28/2013 1:59 PM
The "arsenal" of a pitcher pretty much has to consist of at least two pitches.   A fastball, even if it's 83 MPH in the case of some knuckleballers, and a breaking ball/off-speed pitch.    Nobody has "two fastballs" as their two pitches. 
6/28/2013 2:01 PM
Unless you're Mo.
6/28/2013 2:04 PM
The cutter is his breaking ball.  Duh.
6/28/2013 2:08 PM
Just curious - is the 2-seamed fastball a breaking ball? Is a sinker a breaking ball? Is a four-seamer someone throws that has a small natural movement in one direction a breaking ball? I'm not being an ***, just asking.

I also just realized that I consider a split-finger FASTBALL a breaking ball.
6/28/2013 2:13 PM
If it's a natural grip or motion, I don't think it's a breaking ball even if it breaks.    When you alter the grip or motion to make it break, I think it's a breaking ball.
6/28/2013 2:16 PM

First off, what the hell is a "natural grip"? Every pitch, fastball or not, has a different grip. There is no "natural grip", unless you're suggesting anything other than a four-seamer is not a fastball.

Secondly, you don't alter your motion on a cutter. It's a two-seam fastball. You place your fingers across the laces and pull with your finger tips as you release, which causes the cut at the end. Sliders, sinkers, knucklers, and even some change-ups are altered deliveries/hand motions. I would argue that a splitter and a cutter, you throw with the same force and arm/wrist angle as a fastball. The placement of the fingers and the pressure is what causes the movement.

Feel free to correct me if my assessment is wrong.

6/28/2013 4:30 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Is the cutter a breaking ball? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.