Most Underrated Players of All Time Topic

C - Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Mickey Cochrane, Ted Simmons
1B - Don Mattingly, Boog Powell, Jeff Bagwell, Frank Thomas
2B - Jackie Robinson, Frankie Frisch, Willie Randolph, Max Bishop
3B - Eddie Matthews, Graig Nettles, Doug Rader, Rico Petrocelli
SS - Omar Vizquel, Lou Boudreau, Alvin Dark, Johnny Pesky, Edgar Renteria, Arky Vaughn (?)
OF - Roberto Clemente, Dwight Evans, Kenny Lofton, Ken Griffey Jr., Carl Yastrzemski, Don Buford (key to Orioles' success, but not for his awful fielding), Reggie Jackson (the fact that he was a shameless self-promoter does not mean that others appreciated just how good he was).

SP - Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, Walter Johnson, Steve Carlton, Ed Walsh, Addie Joss (even by Bill James), Mel Stottlemyre, Mickey Lolich, Jerry Koosman, Andy Pettitte

RP- Sparky Lyle, Tug McGraw,

Manager: Earl Weaver, Bill Virdon, Billy Martin, Gil Hodges, 

I am undoubtedly leaving a lot of people off here who should be here. So let's hear everyone else's list. 

6/29/2013 7:21 AM (edited)
C-carlton fisk,
1B-keith hernandez,
2B-lou whitaker
3B-wade boggs,
SS-robin yount,tony fernandez
OF-vladimir guerrero,lou brock,al kaline
SP-gaylor perry, phil niekro,
RP-lee smith,John Franco
manager- tony larussa and dave johnson
6/29/2013 2:41 PM
Bobby Grich
Joe Torre (HOF-caliber career even before you consider his managing accomplishments)
Frank Robinson (gets overlooked all the time)
Ted Simmons
Whitaker and Trammell
Luis Tiant
Dwight Evans
Roy White
Bob Johnson (the A's OF from the 30s)
Tim Raines
6/29/2013 3:13 PM
Historic All Under Rated Team
C) Joe Torre who should be in the hall for his playing/ catching, not his managing. 
1B) Keith Hernandez  who is still the best defensive 1st baseman ever.
2B) Max Bishop.  "Camera eye" demonstrated that people knew the value of OBP long before Micheal Lewis wrote about it
3B) Frank Baker.  He is the only 3B to crack 60 WAR and play before 1952. 
SS) Bill Dahlen.  It is long overdue but I think he makes the hall in the next decade.
LF) Tim Raines.  Ken Williams.  If he had played for Cardinals instead of the Browns, I think he'd have made the HoF
CF) Tris Speaker.  He is one of the 2 or 3 best CF ever!
RF) Mel Ott.  One of the greatest player ever rarely gets his due.
SP) Bob Caruthers.  He was Babe Ruth before Babe Ruth was even born!

All Modern Underrated Team
C) Gene Tennace
1B) Keith Hernandez  Will Clark
2B) Lou Whitaker
SS) Alan Trammel
LF) Tim Raines
CF) Kenny Lofton
RF) Reggie Smith
SP) Kevin Brown
RP) Lee Smith Dan Quisenberry
6/30/2013 4:33 PM (edited)
Career Fielding Percentage: 

Don Mattingly .996
Tino Martinez .995
Keith Hernandez .994

This is what I mean by underrated. Everyone rates Hernandez as "the best defensive first baseman of all time" but he was not as good as Mattingly, and as hitters there was no contest. 

That makes it hard to see Hernandez as under-rated, since everyone rates him very highly, and if anything too highly. Plus he was a narc. That undermines team morale and unity and loses points in my book. Plus he was up with one out in the 9th in game 6 of the 1986 World Series and did not get the hit. Gary Carter then did get a hit under more pressure. So did Kevin Mitchell and Ray Knight and then Mookie Wilson had an amazing at bat. 

I strongly agree with you  on Frank Baker, the only player ever to be nicknamed "homer" (could we get a Greek mythology theme league going I wonder? Or a great writers' names theme?), and on Tim Raines. But I would not want Keith Hernandez on my team and Don Mattingly has only been a positive force on any team he has been around. 

6/29/2013 5:54 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cummica01.shtml

Candy Cummings is the career leader in BB/9 at .47  He threw 2,150 innings in only six seasons going 145-94 with a 2.42 ERA.
6/29/2013 6:12 PM
Booger, I agree with you on Lee Smith. Tim Hudson is an interesting case, you may be right. And I must say Candy Cummings, inventor of the curve ball, is a brilliant call. 

Not sure I agree on Lou Brock, because I don't hear him praised very highly to begin with. 
6/29/2013 6:30 PM
Candy Cummings: 4 walks in 416 innings in 1875. 

Damn. 
6/29/2013 6:33 PM
And here is the most underrated left-fielder of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07OBhNqS2A
6/29/2013 6:48 PM
On this video, the section on Mattingly begins 9 minutes in. See him playing THIRD base at 11 minutes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07OBhNqS2A
6/29/2013 7:02 PM
Italyprof, I think a huge portion of your list is OVERrated.  Zubinsum's list I love.
6/29/2013 9:26 PM
I like the Trammell and Whitaker mentions for the underrated lists.  There are very few WS winning teams with zero players in the Hall of Fame; the 1984 Tigers are one of them.

Whitaker in particular is given short shrift.  He lasted exactly one season on the HoF ballot before being dropped for lack of votes.  I'm not saying he's a HoF'er, but that's pretty harsh for a player Bill James rated the 13th greatest 2B of all-time in The Baseball Abstract.

P.S. Shrift -- underrated word!
6/29/2013 9:49 PM
123456 Next ▸
Most Underrated Players of All Time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.