OT Surprise- Brad Stevens to Celtics Topic

Brad Stevens is leaving Butler for the Boston Celtics.  Personally, I think it's a bad move. Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Jerry Tarkanian, Mike Montgomery, Tim Floyd and PJ Carlesimo all failed in the NBA. It's  much more difficult to coach millionaires.  Plus, Boston could be god-awful next season.

It'll be interesting, though, to see who replaces him at Butler as they move into the Big East.
7/3/2013 6:14 PM (edited)
boston will be horrible but starting next offseason he'll have a ton of cap room to build the kind of team he wants.
7/3/2013 7:10 PM
Damn what a shame, CBB lost an elite level coach.  I had him pegged as Coach K's replacement when the time comes
7/3/2013 7:39 PM
Stevens' strength seems to be in Xs and Os, which isn't as much true for guys like Tark and Cal.  It's not the elite recruits that have made Butler a good team recently, it's the almost unreal utilization of the talent they did have.  I think Stevens is uniquely suited to succeed in the NBA.  Doesn't mean he will, but he's capable of it.
7/3/2013 7:44 PM
will multi-millionaire players respect him? he seems kind of young, and doesn't have the same cred that ex-players have
7/3/2013 7:47 PM
There's no way to know that.
7/3/2013 8:09 PM
I've always wondered if it is a myth or not that college coaches struggle in the pros.  It seems like most coaches struggle in pro gigs just because most of the open positions suck and are in almost continual transition.
7/3/2013 8:23 PM
That sucks. Players coach the NBA. Stevens is wasting his time and maybe his reputation .... though I'm sure he'll get paid!
7/3/2013 8:27 PM
I'm not a butler fan but I liked to see them do well under brad Stevens sucks to see him go to the nba would have loved to see what he could do with butler in the big east :(
7/4/2013 12:17 AM
A bad, cheap hire for the Celtics...they're in total tank mode...get ready for Tim Floyd 2.0
7/4/2013 12:23 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 7/4/2013 12:23:00 AM (view original):
A bad, cheap hire for the Celtics...they're in total tank mode...get ready for Tim Floyd 2.0
How is this a bad hire brad Stevens is a very good coach
7/4/2013 2:26 AM
Who will replace Stevens at Butler?  ESPN lists top candidates:

1) LaVall Jordan, Michigan asssitant, and a Butler alum
2): Todd Lickliter, who led Butler to two Sweet 16s before failing at Iowa
3). Barry Collier, former Butler coach and their current A.D., could take the job for a year

Their top candidate would've been Matthew Graves, their top assistant last year. But he took the head coaching job at So. Alabama. 
7/4/2013 5:02 AM
Posted by patsrule755 on 7/4/2013 2:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 7/4/2013 12:23:00 AM (view original):
How is this a bad hire brad Stevens is a very good coach
Until he proves otherwise, he's a college coach, not a pro coach.
7/4/2013 9:53 AM
Posted by clouseb on 7/3/2013 7:39:00 PM (view original):
Damn what a shame, CBB lost an elite level coach.  I had him pegged as Coach K's replacement when the time comes
Why would this change that?  Coaches change jobs like others change socks.
7/4/2013 1:18 PM
Most people believe Duke's successor is already determined....Wojo
7/4/2013 1:31 PM
12 Next ▸
OT Surprise- Brad Stevens to Celtics Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.