Rule V Leg #41 Draft Thread Topic

Hey everyone,just an idea. Food for thougth. Based on 40 previous legs, this league must be at least 8or 9 years old. What are your thoughts regarding next season that we bring this league into the seventies. I'm not saying that we cut 8 years off but at least start draft eligibility in 1972. Maybe 1975 .That would be shaving 6 seasons off.What a lot of fun that would be for the owners of those old stalwarts, the Yankees,Dodgers,Redsox and the like. Change up the initial keepers a bit and make the drafting rounds a bit more tighter. What ye say?
7/19/2013 4:01 PM
I like it how it is. That would screw up the standings we use to figure out the draft and make the team disparities between the haves and the have nots a lot greater IMO.
7/19/2013 4:04 PM
How would it screw up the standings? My point is, that  as we keep rolling along through the years we dilute the spirit and theme of the league by inrceasing the talent pool. Anyone who played back in the day can tell you it's just not as thrilling now that some teams are so rich in talent. For instance the Dodgers. They can be heavily harvested through the draft and it doesn't really faze them. I think at some point we need do do it. Anyway just one mans opinion.
7/19/2013 4:12 PM
As far as the disparaties between the haves and have nots. I think this will only help out as you would be thinning some of those " haves"
7/19/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by deathdealer on 7/19/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Hey everyone,just an idea. Food for thougth. Based on 40 previous legs, this league must be at least 8or 9 years old. What are your thoughts regarding next season that we bring this league into the seventies. I'm not saying that we cut 8 years off but at least start draft eligibility in 1972. Maybe 1975 .That would be shaving 6 seasons off.What a lot of fun that would be for the owners of those old stalwarts, the Yankees,Dodgers,Redsox and the like. Change up the initial keepers a bit and make the drafting rounds a bit more tighter. What ye say?
I like the idea of changing it up, but as a completely new league, keep Rule V the way it is, but have a new league with 4 initial keepers, a Black List (1 Player per franchise) that no one can use...drafted on by the participants...just some thoughts...
7/19/2013 4:16 PM
Since this league is so popular keep it as it is. But there might be enough interest for a 2nd league and that league could experiment with different years, maybe a different number of keepers, try something different each season. I first discovered the fun of this league by playing a modified version that had different years 4 keepers and could lose 3 per round.
7/19/2013 4:23 PM (edited)

Fuhgeddaboutit!

7/19/2013 4:22 PM
Bon Voyage Rico .......    Ha ha!
7/19/2013 4:27 PM

I do like the idea of tweaking a rule here and there for each version.  Maybe one version, use the DH.  Maybe the next version, change the salary cap to 100M.  Maybe change the eligible seasons in the next version, etc.  Make little tweaks to keep things fresh. 

That being said, I also don't mind keeping everything the same.  It's not like we're having trouble getting people to play (there is always a wait list).  I think what keeps things fresh is trying new franchises.

7/19/2013 4:33 PM
Who can make a proxy pick 6-630 ?
7/19/2013 4:46 PM
I will likely use exactly one Dodgers player from 1969-1975 on my Dodgers this season, and it'll be about my fifth best reliever. From my 112 win Astros team last year I also only had one Astros player 69-75. Those super-elite teams are actually the teams it wouldn't matter for all that much, whereas the middle of the pack teams like the Orioles, White Sox, and Phillies would all lose the huge innings pitchers that keep them even middle of the pack.

Anyways, I think rbow and schwarze are hitting on the right point, which is that we're turning over at such a ridiculously low rate that it seems like the worst possible time to start changing things up.
7/19/2013 4:47 PM
tjefferson makes another good point.  With some of the lesser franchises, it is often a challenge to get up to the $120M cap.  By eliminating seasons, it will make it even tougher for some franchises to be competitive.
7/19/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 7/19/2013 4:46:00 PM (view original):
Who can make a proxy pick 6-630 ?
I can do it.
7/19/2013 5:07 PM
Posted by schwarze on 7/19/2013 4:52:00 PM (view original):
tjefferson makes another good point.  With some of the lesser franchises, it is often a challenge to get up to the $120M cap.  By eliminating seasons, it will make it even tougher for some franchises to be competitive.
This. We'd have to lower the cap for the little guys to have a shot. Worth discussing, I guess, but I'm in no rush to change much.
7/19/2013 5:09 PM
Coming to his cross state rivals....
SP-Jose Rijo-CINCY
7/19/2013 5:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21|22 Next ▸
Rule V Leg #41 Draft Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.