Smokey's DDL CAfe - 'Closed' til DDL#3 Topic

I see the 70's like this..It is a decade where the game was played in the paint, and defense was above average to very good. You need a heavy paint defense in the 70's whereas in the 90's you'll need a heavy perimeter defense. In the 80's, 15 teams went +50FG%, in the 70's maybe 6 teams will see +50FG%. There'll be alot more paint boards and strong rebounding in the paint is important. There'll be more trips to the strip in the 70's, because of the above average defense, and a solid team FT% will give you an advantage. The 80's teams were sophisticated teams, these 70's teams are more like a 'raging bull elephant'...lol
7/20/2013 3:22 AM
Atlantic
dskantor - David Thompson, Zelmo Beatty, Sam Lacey

eleibowitz - Artis Gilmore, Swen Nater
husker75 - Elvin Hayes, Bob Love
cmcafeeky - Bob Lanier, Clifford Ray
tanguma44 - Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis
shawbigred - Nate Thurmond, ML Carr

Central
98average - Nate Archibald, Don Buse
natenoy - Rick Berry, Wes Unseld, Michael Ray Richardson

appleseed1 - Marques Johnson, Bobby Jones, Tree Rollins
seapilots - Moses Malone, Norm Nixon
carbonjones - Jerry Lucas, Larry Bird

smokey57 - Dave Cowens, Willie Wise

Midwest
rubnsly - Jerry West, Marvin Barnes, Jamal Wilkes
coachcroft - Walt Frazier, Paul Westphal, Gus Johnson

kdforester - Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Dave Twardzik
thomcat - Dan Issel, Walt Bellamy
skypilot - Bill Walton, Dan Roundfield
steelers821 - Wilt Chamberlain, Rudy Tomjanvoich

Pacific
longtallbrad - Mel Daniels, Tom Boerwinkle
jhsukow - Julius Erving, Billy Paultz
amerk1080 - Bob McAdoo, Cedric Maxwell
alecmcafee - Paul Silas, George Gervin, Bob Dandridge
dh555 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kevin Porter
bernardo/tanguma44 - John Havlicek, Robert Parish
7/20/2013 2:57 PM (edited)
This 3rd pick is my hardest pick, this is the pick that determines what team design I'll go with. Right now I can go with any design, and the player pool is still wide open wrt design. For being the 3rd round there are a ton of solid impact players left. I was kind of hoping the draft would steer me in one direction or another. I still think the 'near star' player pool is quite deep in the 70's.
7/20/2013 11:33 AM
Well DH stomped my butt in the Western Conference Finals. DH simply had a better defensive rotation than I did and he used it to good affect. That combined with his teams low tov% and high foul draw rate makes Uncle Buck and great team. In the tough 7 game series with CJ, my team was scoring around 128ppg, against DH we only broke 120ppg once. My defense was high average wrt the league @ ~ 65cdef, but the defensive distribution did not allow me to pressure DH's offense sufficiently. DH's execution of his team design in a draft league was very good.
I've recently drafted 3 teams using the almost complete team design I've worked on for some time now. 'Back to the Future' was the first, the other 2 have similar offensive capabilty with cdef's of 70 & 80 respectively. I should be happy that defense is taking it's rightful place in the SIM, I don't think you can win it all without a solid defense anymore.
I'd also been pretty happy with the damn DDL#1 ring too...lol.
7/20/2013 12:50 PM
Trying to avoid fouls and turnovers in this draft is like trying to avoid mosquitoes during a Minnesota summer. 
7/20/2013 3:52 PM

amen...lol

7/20/2013 5:57 PM
OK, I loooove the 12-13 Durant and I hear the LeBron kid is pretty good too. So here's the Theme; "LBJ vs Da'Ant "- circa 2012-13. This is a 1 shot only, (no draft) Open league, salery cap $55M, NR, NC, NWW. You will feature either LBJ's or Durant's 2012-13 year on your team. No Wilt or MJ. The first owners in will get their choice, after 12 of either are chosen the remaining owner will get the other to give 12 LBJ teams and 12 Durant teams. The LBJ teams will go in the Eastern Conference and the Durant teams in the Western conference. The Finals will be the best LBJ team vs the best Durant team. So, what do you think? Could be some serious fun...
7/20/2013 9:56 PM (edited)
because both these player can be used at 3 positions the variety in teams should be pretty good.
7/20/2013 6:13 PM
I'm 'in' - Durant
7/20/2013 6:17 PM
$65m seems WAY too high IMO, you'll have 20+ Wilt's and MJ's in the league with a cap like that.
7/20/2013 6:25 PM
I'm out of this one. Both of them are woosies. Maybe a Wilt vs Russell and I'd be interested.
7/20/2013 6:30 PM
Yeah, you'd have to have a rule that states all other players must be under 2800 minutes/8.5 mill
7/20/2013 6:31 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 7/20/2013 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Well DH stomped my butt in the Western Conference Finals. DH simply had a better defensive rotation than I did and he used it to good affect. That combined with his teams low tov% and high foul draw rate makes Uncle Buck and great team. In the tough 7 game series with CJ, my team was scoring around 128ppg, against DH we only broke 120ppg once. My defense was high average wrt the league @ ~ 65cdef, but the defensive distribution did not allow me to pressure DH's offense sufficiently. DH's execution of his team design in a draft league was very good.
I've recently drafted 3 teams using the almost complete team design I've worked on for some time now. 'Back to the Future' was the first, the other 2 have similar offensive capabilty with cdef's of 70 & 80 respectively. I should be happy that defense is taking it's rightful place in the SIM, I don't think you can win it all without a solid defense anymore.
I'd also been pretty happy with the damn DDL#1 ring too...lol.
actually i think people are starting to lean towards the side of overvaluing defense at this point....theres no way i should have got nater in the 3rd round or natt in the 4th but everyone got scared off by their defense....i agree you need defense these days to win but efg% and creb% will never go out of style in the sim

the turnover battle has been shocking to me in the playoffs....i was -2 in the regular season but am at +4 in the playoffs...really dont understand that one

7/20/2013 7:18 PM
I don't know wilt and mj teams are not doing that well in either draft or open leagues. I'm in I will take LBJ.
7/20/2013 7:26 PM
DH, it was the TO's that really killed me and the PF draw rate didn't help. My team was -2 TO's going in and I couldn't budge you off that low teen TO/g. Your team sucked PF's out of me like it was going out of style. To top it off my offense was completely trashed. I was really hoping you could explain it..lol. The 7 game series vs CJ was tough, I had to go all out to get by his team, and we had an OT game to boot. Not many teams can recover from having to score so many 128's  in a series. I don't know maybe that has something to do with our match-up. But you have trashed 3 good teams, I think the reason lay's with your team mostly. Not to worry, I'm going to tear all your PO games apart to see why..... 
7/20/2013 9:54 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...12 Next ▸
Smokey's DDL CAfe - 'Closed' til DDL#3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.