Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber Challenge Topic

There are at least a couple from the North Central that would like in but like the RMAC we are a member short and i "think" all of us are interested in trying to participate

What about a like two MUSDUC thing... those with 6 teams and those with 5... as barren as most DII seem 6 can be tough to get. Then we could try to figure a way for the winners of each set (6 team confs and 5 team confs) to play each other or something
2/14/2014 9:14 PM (edited)
... if there are enough 5 team confs. interested
2/14/2014 9:16 PM
The North Central is willing
2/16/2014 2:36 AM

Results: MUSDUC VI

Congratulations Lone Star conference, who win their 3rd  MUSDUC with a total of 21 wins. The CCAA and Lone Star have now split all 6 MUSDUC tournaments, winning three each.   

As always, view color coded results for the entire history of the challenge here.

Conference Total Wins
LONE STAR
HEARTLAND
GREAT LAKES IAC
CALIFORNIA CAA
NORTH AMERICAN AA
PENN ST AC 4
2/20/2014 11:28 AM (edited)
The Central IAA is returning for MUSDUC VII. The PSAC and NAAA no longer have 6 eligible coaches. That means the conference field for MUSDUC VII includes the CCAA, Central, GLIAC, Heartland, and Lone Star conferences with 1 open slot. Unfortunately there are no other conferences with 6 eligible/interested coaches. The poll above shows most people that responded favor some sort of hybrid conglomerate conference compete in that 6th slot. 

I have inquiries out to the affected conferences/coaches to gauge who wants to be part of this hybrid conference. I'll wait about a day and depending upon the volume of responses will most likely randomly select teams from among that list and try to represent each interested conference as evenly as possible. The other option is to run RWOPR on all the interested teams, and just seed them in order, conference affiliation be damned. Depending upon how many respondents we get this might work too...
2/20/2014 11:33 AM
How should the HYBRID conference be structured 

Votes: 17
(Last vote received: 2/24/2014 9:08 PM)
2/20/2014 11:37 AM
I would encourage the fewest total number of conferences be selected.  So if there are 4 interested from one conference, take all of them, plus the top two from the conference with the next most number of interested teams. 

If we run RWOPR on all interested teams and take the top 6, we essentially have created an all-star conference from the rest of D2.  That not only tilts the balance of strength sharply in favor of the hybrid conference, it also goes against part of the fun of (reason behind?) the MUSDUC, that is: interconference rivalry and testing the strength of one conference against another.

2/20/2014 12:29 PM
If a team is interested in the MUSDUC, then they should for a conference with enough teams.  The Lonestar has a ton of openings and we have won 3 MUSDUC titles.     
2/20/2014 12:37 PM
I think Pete is on the right track.  I think using the conference with the most coaches willing to participate and then supplementing them (randomly) with other interested coaches, is probably the best way to do it.  BTW, it doesn't get said enough: thanks for all your hard work on this, dacj.  It's a great addition to the game!
2/20/2014 12:42 PM
I was concerned about the All-star aspect of taking the best teams. A couple things made me not so worried about it though - 1st, RWOPR isn't terribly accurate. My limited analysis showed that most teams finished their seasons not in the same place that RWOPR predicted, and some of the time the difference was rather large. 2nd, we are scheduling with the rogelio method this time, so the #1s don't all play each other like they did previously. Of course, I guess its possible the all star" line up could be like having #1s in all 6 slots, so that would cancel this out...

I'd rather not have a hybrid at all, but with only 5 eligible conferences we either lose a game and run with the 5 (not something I want to do, which is why I didn't even mention or include it above) or we use a hybrid of some sort. 

If we have to use a hybrid of some sort, I kind of favor a broad spectrum, since there are 3 5 team conferences that have never been a part of the MUSDUC who want to participate in some way, plus the 2 recently deposed traditional member conferences. My thinking is that by taking 1 from each (and 1 more I suppose to get to 6) they'd all get a little representation, but I certainly see the value of limiting it as much as possible as well...

If we go with what shucky summarized (and that I think Pete suggested) I believe the North Central should probably get 1st shot since I believe they have 5 coaches who all have expressed a desire to participate. 
2/20/2014 12:54 PM
Posted by pete0713 on 2/20/2014 12:29:00 PM (view original):
I would encourage the fewest total number of conferences be selected.  So if there are 4 interested from one conference, take all of them, plus the top two from the conference with the next most number of interested teams. 

If we run RWOPR on all interested teams and take the top 6, we essentially have created an all-star conference from the rest of D2.  That not only tilts the balance of strength sharply in favor of the hybrid conference, it also goes against part of the fun of (reason behind?) the MUSDUC, that is: interconference rivalry and testing the strength of one conference against another.

I like this idea. Keeps everything on a level playing field.
2/20/2014 1:10 PM
So this would be more of a "add the North Central +1" kind of a thing rather than an actual hybrid. I see a number of advantages to this as well... 
2/20/2014 2:09 PM
Thanks dacj501 for all your work on this and for your willingness to listen to constructive feedback.
2/20/2014 2:49 PM

given that the premise of the mega-challenge is battling for conference pride - I would tend to frown upon any suggestion that selects one team from each of six conferences for a super-conference.  i'll also echo shucky's sentiments and applaud dac for doing a phenomenal job.

2/20/2014 2:50 PM
Yeah, ditto the other guys on applauding dacj501.  Really have enjoyed the MUSDUC and very much appreciate your hard work on this.

Also, ditto what bjb said -- JOIN THE LONE STAR!
2/20/2014 6:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber Challenge Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.