Cano Topic

I know people have been saying it for years, but it looks like the Yankees are going to finally have to rebuild. They're losing guys to injury and old age, and Hank doesn't want to spend like his old man.

I don't see any way Cano stays after this season, especially with so little left around him on that team and the fact that the Dodgers are going to throw a sh*t load of money at him.

Question is, will the Yankees have the guts to do the smart thing and trade him? He's likely not coming back, and he could fetch a HUGE haul from a team that would really help them in their efforts to rebuild on the fly.
7/12/2013 11:29 PM

CANO DOESN'T BUST IT

YES ANNOUNCERS IGNORE IT, BLATANTLY

7/13/2013 5:27 AM
7/13/2013 5:08 PM
That's awesome.

As for "not coming back", there are a limited number of teams that can plunk down the cash that he'll demand.   See A-Roid a few years back.   Either way, they won't trade him and it's not the smart thing to do.  The Yanks believe they can win the division when the walking wounded return.   I'd say there's a 50/50 chance they'll get Cano back next year.
7/14/2013 8:35 AM

I think it's foolish though. All Cano has to do is look around him - Jeter's on his last leg's, ARod's likely done, Grandy has gotten far less effective, and who knows if Tex will ever be the same. That's banking on some huge "ifs". I guarantee the Dodgers will offer him more than the Yankees and he'll have a heck of a lot more talent around him. I just don't see him staying in New York, and if they lose him, they'll be devastated for next season. Why not trade him and fill 2-3 holes on your roster or get some good prospects for the future? Even though it won't be your traditional "rebuild", the Yankees do have one coming.

7/14/2013 11:43 AM
The Yankees are probably going to need a few years to rebuild after this, but they'll do it primarily with free agents.  They have enough money not to have to wait to draft and develop prospects.  So the value of bringing back prospects in trade - while always high - might be lower there than in another rebuild.  It doesn't make sense to trade Cano because right now they have a playoff shot.  If you know that this is your last season to compete for a playoff spot and a WS title, as the Yankees, you have to do everything you can to seize that opportunity.  You can't trade away your best player.

Also, I still hope the Orioles make Cano a massive offer in the offseason.  Unlikely he comes to Baltimore anyway, but you have to take a shot.  I took a lot of heat on the Orioles website last offseason for not being interested in Hamilton or Greinke.  It's not that I never want a big contract.  It just has to be the right guy.  Talent-wise, Cano is the right guy.  Although I'm not sure his attitude is one you want in what is otherwise a good clubhouse.

7/14/2013 3:19 PM
That's the thing - the O's are a huge "chemistry" team. I'd love Cano on the team, especially at a position that is the O's most glaring hole most of the time, but I'm not sure his attitude (if perception is reality) would fly with Showalter.
7/14/2013 10:37 PM
You're acting as if the Yankees won't get any other players.   They will.   Removing ARod and Jeter from the equation, they're still paying a lot of money to Tex and CC.  It would be dumb to pay them(they won't find trade partners) and surround them with nothing.  

As for Cano, it's not an attitude problem.   He just appears to lack "urgency" but still makes the plays.   Bernie played the same way. 
7/15/2013 7:52 AM

BERNIE WAS SMOOTH, EFFORTLESS

CANO DOGS IT, PLAIN+ SIMPLE

BE HONEST WITH YERSELF. TAKE OFF THE PINSTRIPED ROSE-COLOURED GLASSES

7/15/2013 8:39 AM
I NAMED MY DOG BERNIE

I WILL NOT NAME ONE CANO
7/15/2013 10:15 AM
RACIST!
7/15/2013 10:56 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 7:52:00 AM (view original):
You're acting as if the Yankees won't get any other players.   They will.   Removing ARod and Jeter from the equation, they're still paying a lot of money to Tex and CC.  It would be dumb to pay them(they won't find trade partners) and surround them with nothing.  

As for Cano, it's not an attitude problem.   He just appears to lack "urgency" but still makes the plays.   Bernie played the same way. 
But who? The Yanks tried to replace ARod this season and the best they could do was Youkilis. The high-end players won't always be available.
7/15/2013 1:29 PM
Yeah, it's going to take a few years for the Yankees to rebuild, like I said above.  It's going to take a few free agent classes before they can find all the guys they need to rebuild that team.  If the little Steinbrenner's continue to commit to staying below the luxury tax threshold it'll be even longer 'til they can find all the right guys at the right prices with that A-Rod pricetag hanging over their heads.  Maybe they get lucky and get it covered by insurance.  But even so it's gonna count against the luxury tax.  Point is, and you've admitted this before Mike, after this year it's probably going to be inevitable that a couple of bad seasons are coming in the Bronx.  Non-playoff seasons at best.  But you still can't trade Cano.  In that market, with a couple of non-playoff seasons coming, you have to go for it big right now, not start the rebuild.  The Yankees are buyers, not sellers.  No doubt about that...
7/15/2013 2:35 PM
By all rights, the Yankees should be about 15 games under .500.    A-Rod hasn't been A-Rod for a couple of years.  Texiera has been feast or famine for a couple of years.   What they have to replace is Jeter and Rivera.    Since the consensus is that Jeter is a horrible SS, how hard will he be to replace.  So, really, it's Rivera.    They need a few arms to round out the rotation(Kuroda and Pettite are old too).   I don't think it's all gloom and doom.    But, if H&H tighten up the purse strings, it will be tougher with A-Rod's deal on the books. 
7/15/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/14/2013 10:37:00 PM (view original):
That's the thing - the O's are a huge "chemistry" team. I'd love Cano on the team, especially at a position that is the O's most glaring hole most of the time, but I'm not sure his attitude (if perception is reality) would fly with Showalter.
I see similarities between Jones and Cano.  I think he'd be OK there.  
7/16/2013 8:53 AM
12 Next ▸
Cano Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.