$47M "Open" Lg, No Rookies SCRAPPED Topic

EDIT: for now, lets fill a 47M open league with no draft.
We all want to rid ourselves of rookies so before any drafts are introduced this basic concept is very appealing.

Here is the concept I propose:

Rosters will be typical open league rosters in terms of Min per $, with an extra $5M available to close the minutes gap normally filled by rookies. However, to make things a tad more interesting, the "Star" on each team would be unique for the 24 owners, based on a one round draft.

1. We get 24 Owners and randomly assign a draft order.

2. Each team picks one Player+Year (i.e. 12-13 Lebron and 08-09 Lebron are separate picks).

3. Once the Top 24 Players are off the board, the rest of the player pool is available for all teams. Clones allowed as per open leagues.

4. If there is interest and the league is fun, I would run this league continuously and as commish, I would keep track of historical W/L for all owners involved. One possible wrinkle could be: The Champ gets to keep his Drafted Player, and the other 23 teams are randomly assigned an order for the next season.

Personally, I love the open league format (in principle). This league would rid us of the annoying rookies. While the One Round Draft does change things a bit, it only serves to prevent 7 teams with 12-13 Lebron, etc, and allows for a fun one player draft. But at the same time, since its only a one round draft and clones are allowed, owners should feel comfortable that they can simulate the open league experience very closely.

Let me know if you are interested. League creation to follow if people sign up.

Owners that have joined:

1. jkaye24
2. ashamael
3. benhoidal
4. malone9975
5. krishnaman
6. felonius
7. phunke1
8. coolmay_one
9. bigmac945

ncmusician_7 and vancem expressed reservcations about a 1 round draft but instead suggested a 2 round draft. I would be open to this possibility.
7/17/2013 11:09 PM (edited)
I like almost every single aspect of this idea (the wrinkle being the only thing I don't particularly favor).

One thing you didn't mention but can be a big boon to owners with more than 10 finals appearances is... you get to compete in an OL-like environment with theme-league prizes.

I'm in.
7/13/2013 5:07 PM
I'm in
7/13/2013 5:31 PM
I don't like the idea of the 1 round draft (2 rounds would be ok).
7/13/2013 5:38 PM
I'm in
7/13/2013 7:59 PM
I'm in
7/13/2013 8:57 PM
in I guess - so if 91-92 Rodman is drafted can I use any other rodman (undrafted) season as part of my undrafted team (or even clone several of them)?
7/13/2013 11:45 PM
correct, at least in my initial viewing of it.

In fact, I'd suspect 94-95 Rodman would easily be a top 24 pick based on his Min/$ contribution and the low salary cap.

If not? Then every team is free to select him -- which would simulate the current open league experience quite well!
7/14/2013 2:34 AM
I think that a 2 round draft is the way to go here. In fact, that would eliminate the duplication of the top seasons and high usage players for starters, and then eliminate the high in demand low usage role players by the end of the 2nd round. That would be interesting IMO.
7/14/2013 12:18 PM
I would prefer a 2 round draft as well, but I'm in either way. A two round wouldn't make getting a high pick as big of an advantage, assuming the order would snake. I like the lower cap. It should make for more strategy with your pick.
7/14/2013 2:07 PM
I'm in.
7/14/2013 3:53 PM
This sounds cool, I'll join
7/14/2013 5:08 PM
If this thing is 2 rounds then I will do it.
7/16/2013 10:52 PM
I agree. The owners in the top10 have a huge advantage. Im in either way, but would like to see 2 rounds. Its funny I proposed this same idea about a year ago. It was called "the Franchise Players". It got no traction.
7/17/2013 8:11 AM
id join if it was a 2 round draft

also i think a "you can only use rodman if you draft him" rule would be a great idea

7/17/2013 2:56 PM
12 Next ▸
$47M "Open" Lg, No Rookies SCRAPPED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.