D2 Season 66 Topic

The rollover happens tonight and season 66 recruiting starts in 2 days.  St. Mary's TX loses our starting PG and C, but we bring back good scorers from the outside and inside.  Our biggest issue will be figuring out who to play at PG.
7/20/2013 6:22 PM
Now that signings have started I will say it: that batch of recruits was much weaker than we've seen in a while.  There were a lot of good players, but no great ones I saw.  They all had some small flaw.  I like all of the guys I signed, but I don't love any of them.  They've all got small flaws (Italian PG's DE will be below what I like, as will his BH; TX PG will have lower ATH and SPD than I like and the big man won't be quite as athletic as I'd like).  I'm happy with what I got given the soft batch of players, but wish there had been more top talent this season.
7/24/2013 8:06 PM
found a lockdown defender that might be able to shoot eventually, a point guard that'l be kinda good at everything, and a big thats prime for everything but scoring

unfortunately this is probably the best crop i've found at OBU lol

7/24/2013 11:18 PM
Dave Filby! And Ole Miss...

davefilby and Ole Miss have no idea how they shaped the landscape of my recruiting this season. I needed 4 and was getting 3 local ranked guys for pretty cheap (#183 SG, #195 SG, and #174 C). I had my eye on a SF in UT. davefilby shows up on him final cycle. So I look around and see Ole Miss cut a PG that was #138 last recruiting cycle. He was < 350 miles away. Someone was on him but much > 350 mi away. No-brainer move. Grabbed him. I really wanted that SF Dave, but this season, unlike last season when you got Litwin from me, I think I got the better consolation prize.
7/24/2013 11:26 PM
Hackerhog!

I needed three this time around, and a SG and a couple of PFs considering.  A SF wasn't even on my radar.  Started looking around and saw the SF.  I recruited a sub-standard PG a couple of seasons ago (Jason Burke) that I decided to cut loose and replace with the SF.  So you should really thank him.  He's still available, you should maybe give him a non-athletic schollarship.....

We got a high potential guard who will foul you the minute he gets off the bus, the SF that does a little bit a of everything, a servicable but non-scoring big, and a big (James Snow) who I think will be a good player.  But I have to agree with mduncanhogs, I thought the pickings were relatively slim (No Brian Litwins this time around hacker).

Looking around the country, it seems like there are a bunch of schools that have recruited very well.  Feels like Iba has stepped its game up in recent seasons. 
7/25/2013 9:23 AM
I'm completely rebuilding Montevallo. New defense in place, cut a bunch of guys and will start the freshman.

Recruiting with a C+ was tough, but I was able to take two decent ineligibles and I hope they report. One I got because his terrible WE, so I'll have to start him from day 1 if he reports and hope he maxes out (still I dont know how his IQ will be in the end). The PF (will play SF) that I got is a good defender and has decent peripherals, especially if his PE and LP explode. I spent twice as many SVs as I ever have to pull him down, but the last coach left me a huge cash reserve. The other SF, also from Pensacola is an average all around player, but I figured since he'll be in a different class as the first guy (cause he's ineligible) he could back him up and be decent off the bench. 

The Russian PF/C may be decent and can provide above average REB which I'll need in the zone. The two guards should have decent PA, which is especially what I was going for in the PG and he was the best guy I could find in the end of recruiting.

BOL to all!
7/25/2013 3:03 PM
Very excited about the class we put together here at Queens. The big man Daughtery will provide some nice athleticism and defense but what I am really excited for is the 2 guards. Kelvin Addison and Chris Treadwell should be a really nice duo for us in their career. I was on Dale Fields early who ultimately signed with Valdosta St and should be a very good player, although he is an ineligible. All in all though I really think these 2 guards are going to do big things here!
7/25/2013 9:28 PM
I'm pretty excited about my class as well. Pulled an ineligible with the little money I had left with an eye toward next season. But the PG and SG I signed should be pretty nice. Let's get this season started!
7/25/2013 11:41 PM
Posted by davefilby on 7/25/2013 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Hackerhog!

I needed three this time around, and a SG and a couple of PFs considering.  A SF wasn't even on my radar.  Started looking around and saw the SF.  I recruited a sub-standard PG a couple of seasons ago (Jason Burke) that I decided to cut loose and replace with the SF.  So you should really thank him.  He's still available, you should maybe give him a non-athletic schollarship.....

We got a high potential guard who will foul you the minute he gets off the bus, the SF that does a little bit a of everything, a servicable but non-scoring big, and a big (James Snow) who I think will be a good player.  But I have to agree with mduncanhogs, I thought the pickings were relatively slim (No Brian Litwins this time around hacker).

Looking around the country, it seems like there are a bunch of schools that have recruited very well.  Feels like Iba has stepped its game up in recent seasons. 
I agree. Seems everyone I follow is bringing in stellar classes. I just think it's because numbers are down in D2 Iba coaches, but who knows?

But back to my post and your reply. D1 recruiting is boring. High prestige/Good conference? Spend X amount of money on recruit and sit. Low prestige/Bad conference? Sit and wait on the scraps.

Meanwhile D2 recruiting can change on the dime. It really is cycle to cycle. Much the reason I love D2. I have this plan in place at the very beginning. Then I have a plan in place every cycle. Things change rapidly. Then BOOM! New plan. Wash-Rinse-Repeat. 
7/26/2013 1:51 AM
St. Mary's starts the season unranked again.  Last season it gave the kids the extra motivation they needed to make the Final Four.  Hoping to use that motivation again this season.

Meanwhile, I have a 4 game stretch in the Yarnell @ #8 CSU, Stanislaus, @ #4 Longwood, vs. #7 U. of Indianapolis and @ #20 Harding.  That should be fun, in a "pain is fun" kind of way.
7/27/2013 10:34 AM
Bellarmine's schedule rivals  St. Mary's.  In the Derby City, I play #12 Wayne St.; #14 U. Science; #9 Miles, and #5 Cal-San Diego. Throw in road games at #1 Northeastern and #20 Harding and my boys will be battle-tested early.
7/28/2013 3:39 AM
Arkansas-Monticello of the Gulf South conference played a double-header on the first day. Somehow they played in Buckhannon, WV and Montevallo, AL on the same day.
7/29/2013 12:51 PM
I had the AD recommission the Concord at Montivello so I could fly crappy teams in on not even a nights a rest. It worked. 

On a side note, I can't believe I took #22 Columbus St to OT with my squad. I knew I had a decent gameplan, but I can't believe I overcame starting three freshman and not amazing ones. Maybe this season wont be AS bad as I thought if I could sneak a win out here and there.
7/30/2013 11:48 AM

#9 Incarnate Word has our first home game of the season, hosting #3 Northeastern State.  I think we've caught some breaks to be 5-0 and Northeastern's team is very good.  Hopefully it's at least competitive. 

8/2/2013 9:51 AM
I'm looking forward to it tonight dave.  I think this is a great matchup between our teams.  I always like the early season games.  Its just a lot of fun to tinker with the new roster and try and make things work.  
8/2/2013 8:45 PM
123 Next ▸
D2 Season 66 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.