Funk52 XLI - Commentary Thread Topic

As per usual, use this thread for all of your thoughts on your own & others' squads.  Just remember, there are two rules to this thread:

1.  Don't mention undrafted players.

2.  DON'T MENTION UNDRAFTED PLAYERS.

Also, please try to keep the personal attacks to a minimum... thanks.

7/22/2013 9:10 PM
Rosters

banditone - LeBron James, Terry Porter, Connie Hawkins, Ryan Anderson, Caldwell Jones

natenoy - Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Love, Kyle Korver

tricky24 - Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Gary Payton, Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller

iccoachb - Michael Jordan, Shawn Kemp, Robert Parish, Michael Ray Richardson, James Worthy

thomcat - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Willis Reed, Steve Nash, Derek Harper, Josh Smith

eleibowitz - Shaquille O'Neal, Marcus Camby, Donyell Marshall, Chris Mullin, Jason Terry

98average - Moses Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Brent Barry, Terrell Brandon, Andrei Kirilenko

coachcroft - Kevin Durant, Elton Brand, Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, Andre Drummond

dh555 - Karl Malone, Tyson Chandler, Clyde Drexler, Jose Calderon, A.C. Green

seapilots - Chris Paul, Dikembe Mutomobo, Amare Stoudemire, Danny Green, Anderson Varejao

felonius - David Robinson, Bill Walton, Walt Frazier, Kenneth Faried, Nick Anderson

longtallbrad - Dwight Howard, Chauncey Billups, Horace Grant, Sidney Moncrief

theyard2 - Larry Bird, Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol, Samuel Dalembert

badja - Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Andrew Bynum, Emeka Okafor

chris_snid - Artis Gilmore, Anfernee Hardaway, Paul Pierce, Cedric Maxwell

malone9975 - Charles Barkley, Stephen Curry, Mel Daniels, Gerald Wallace

pennsylvania - Nate Archibald, Bob McAdoo, Elvin Hayes, Billy Cunningham

mikee1 - Tim Duncan, Jerry Lucas, Mookie Blaylock, Kobe Bryant,

ashamael - Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Serge Ibaka, Tracy McGrady

vancem - Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Patrick Ewing, Anthony Mason

slymonium - Ben Wallace, Shawn Marion, Ray Allen, Tom Boerwinkle, Kevin Johnson

tarheel1991 - Kevin Garnett, Dwyane Wade, Bobby Jones, Wes Unseld

steelers821 - Julius Erving, Kevin McHale, Marques Johnson, Rajon Rondo, Joakim Noah, Kris Humphries

maglor1 - Larry Nance, Hakeem Olajuwon, Wesley Person, Jerry West,
7/29/2013 11:12 PM (edited)
commentary:

banditone - LeBron James, Terry Porter, Connie Hawkins, Ryan Anderson, Caldwell Jones

Loved the start.  I feel like an extra 1000 minutes of 66-67 Wilt is the only thing that would make me hesitate to say that 12-13 Lebron is the best player in the sim... I love the combo with him & Porter (I've been working on a James/Porter team for a while in OLs).  Both are extremely efficient with the ball, help others get better & shoot the lights out.  Hawkins... gives you some boards at the 3, but I think there were FAR better options out there for what this team needs.  Anderson hurts you on the boards & defensively.  Jones isn't even really a 6th rounder in this league atm.  Started strong but faded fast.

natenoy - Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Love, Kyle Korver

You're crazy, but we've already gone over that.  Love is a major fail of a pick with the goal you stated previously (though I do like him a lot).  Korver was an excellent pick here.  You're not going to get 50+ ppg with Wilt here nor are you going to make the playoffs.

tricky24 - Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Gary Payton, Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller

Rodman is always a good start.  Buck gives you more boards & some 4-th tier usage at a high percentage.  Glove gives you a **** ton of minutes, some volume offense, 3s, good positional boards, great defense, some assists & a **** ton of missed shots for Buck & Worm to grab.  I know people like to pair Dirk with Worm (and/or Moses), but I strongly dislike it.  You're trading away the advantage you had with Rodman.  It's like... welcome back to middle of the pack.  Dirk really needs to be playable at SF to be a good option in today's game, I feel like.  I love Miller... You might could use a different Glove instead of the 3400 minute one now & take advantage of Dirk & Miller's efficient offense.

iccoachb - Michael Jordan, Shawn Kemp, Robert Parish, Michael Ray Richardson, James Worthy

Started out strong.  MJ, Kemp & Parish were three great picks.  Well above average shooting, good boards, Kemp covers Parish's weak defense... then you added two guys that probably wouldn't have even got drafted.  Richardson fouls a ton & turns it over a lot.  Worthy doesn't help you at all on the boards.  This is still a significant improvement to your last squad, though.

thomcat - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Willis Reed, Steve Nash, Derek Harper, Josh Smith

Doesn't get much better than Kareem.  I'm really starting to emphasize minutes (see: my first two picks) these days when it comes to higher caps like this... and you just can't get 3500 minutes of tier 2 usage, 57% efg any where else.  Solid D, okay boards... Jabbar's a slam dunk.  Nash is an excellent compliment, and Harper covers some of Nash's weakness in being able to guard his man.  However, this team is extremely weak on the boards (Willis is NOT enough to overcome Jabbar's lackluster) & Josh Smith just rips the beauty you had going with the Captain & Nash apart. 

eleibowitz - Shaquille O'Neal, Marcus Camby, Donyell Marshall, Chris Mullin, Jason Terry

I did the Shaq/Camby/Mullin thing once.  Worked out pretty well but did not net me a ring.  I didn't have Donyell or Terry, however!  I feel like you're weak on the boards (especially offensive ones) & on assists (though you probably have enough... Terry, Shaq & Camby get you over 40), otherwise this is an extremely tight squad & should strike fear into the hearts of many.

98average - Moses Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Brent Barry, Terrell Brandon, Andrei Kirilenko

Moses & Zo might be my favorite front court combo in this league.  Barry is a perfect compliment.  Brandon gives you an extra edge in the possession battle with his stupid-low tov%.  The only thing I don't like is that he'll be taking more shots than Moses (while on the floor together).  This is a scary defensive squad with few holes on offense... this might be the best team I've seen you build (period).

coachcroft - Kevin Durant, Elton Brand, Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, Andre Drummond

I feel like you're taking too many of Durant's shots away... though D-Will & Booze I am fans of.  Brand is just lackluster imo and is taken almost soley for his defense.  Drummond is ridiculous.  I really dig this team despite Brand.

dh555 - Karl Malone, Tyson Chandler, Clyde Drexler, Jose Calderon, A.C. Green

Mailman... only weakness is offensive boards.  Chandler... one of his strengths is offensive boards.  As is Drexler.  Nice inside out... and Jose gives you even more good!  A.C. is a perfect fit here... this is a tight, tight squad.  I know you didn't get to do what you wanted to do originally but you made the best out of it.  I forsee postseason success in this one.

seapilots - Chris Paul, Dikembe Mutomobo, Amare Stoudemire, Danny Green, Anderson Varejao

Feel like cp3 was early, but I am coming to like him more & more in the sim.  There's very little to not like with this squad... you have plenty of offense & a tremendous lack of turning the ball over.  Should have good boards.  Lot of good teams in this league right now.  This is one of them.

felonius - David Robinson, Bill Walton, Walt Frazier, Kenneth Faried, Nick Anderson

I'm not gonna waste my time saying what I like & don't like about this team because seble will just **** you somehow and it will come short of my expectations.  I do like most of it, though. 

longtallbrad - Dwight Howard, Chauncey Billups, Horace Grant, Sidney Moncrief

Loved the start... don't care for Moncrief here.  Really felt like you should have gone for a 2 that gives you bombs at a tier 3 or 4 usage (someone like Nick Anderson, actually).

theyard2 - Larry Bird, Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol, Samuel Dalembert

Depending on how you use Bird/Ginobili, I either like it or hate it.  I'm still not on the Gasol bandwagon, though he is excellent.  Dalembert is a solid 2100 minutes.

badja - Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Andrew Bynum, Emeka Okafor

Felt like Pippen was early.  Stockton in the b/c makes it feel much better though.  Bynum was the guy I wanted in round 3, so I hate you.  He gives you lots of good, and Okafor was a nice compliment.  I like how the pieces are falling together... it makes Pippen look like he should be drafted ahead of Gilmore & Chuck (even though he shouldn't ;p)

chris_snid - Artis Gilmore, Anfernee Hardaway, Paul Pierce, Cedric Maxwell

Use the right versions of each guy, and this squad will go far.  I really dig this core, man.

malone9975 - Charles Barkley, Stephen Curry, Mel Daniels, Gerald Wallace

Chuck was a steal at this point.  Curry was a slight reach (to answer your question), but he does give you a combination that few guys in the sim can.  Daniels is always a solid board hoarder.  I don't care for Wallace too much (more threes ideal for pairing with Chuck) but he does add onto that already nice board advantage you've got going and gives you some important defense.

pennsylvania - Nate Archibald, Bob McAdoo, Elvin Hayes, Billy Cunningham

McAdoo is the only player on your squad that should even be drafted in this league.  The others are borderline sim-poisons for various reasons (turnovers, fouls, low efg% paired with high usg%, low rebounding for certain positions).

mikee1 - Tim Duncan, Jerry Lucas, Mookie Blaylock, Kobe Bryant,

I don't care for Mookie & Kobe taking away shots from Duncan... nice D, though, and nice board control thus far.

ashamael - Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Serge Ibaka, Tracy McGrady

Too often I have cap room in this league because I draft lower-minute players.  **** that this time.  I went with two high minute guys that give me stuff I can't get from a combination of guys drafted later.  This was literally a last second plan, though, because I was sure I'd get Tim Duncan.  Ibaka & Tmac were hastily made picks while on vacation at the beach using a buddy's laptop on some really sketchy wi-fi.  I really wanted Bynum or Ewing in round 3, but some ******** made that impossible! Ibaka gives me some solid points, decent rebounding on the offensive end & excellent defense at the 3... Tmac gave me solid possession control (seriously, have you looked at his tov%?), important ast% numbers (oscar only gives me 22%) and the high-volume scorer I needed at this juncture.  I almost took Boozer here - and probably should've according to my own team building philosophy (I hate high volume shooters like tmac) - but it is what it is.  This team is not sexy, but it'll win some games.

vancem - Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Patrick Ewing, Anthony Mason

Thanks for taking Ewing, dick.  :)  Umm... your back court boarding helps make up for the somewhat unsexy front court rebounding.  Magic & Kidd will make Ewing shoot insanely well (not to mention that Mason also has relatively good ast%).  Solid if not exactly frightening.  Round 5 might change that into frightening. 

slymonium - Ben Wallace, Shawn Marion, Ray Allen, Tom Boerwinkle, Kevin Johnson

Big Ben served me very well.  Matrix is always a good call.  I feel like you've got many areas of strength but will suffer against teams with a good tandem back court (bandit's, for example).  I think you make a strong run in the regular season but come to an early playoff exit.

tarheel1991 - Kevin Garnett, Dwyane Wade, Bobby Jones, Wes Unseld

I don't get Garnett teams but they do well.  Wade & Jones were great.  Unseld was a very good value where you got him.  Solid boards thus far & good defense.  A typically tight tarheel team.

steelers821 - Julius Erving, Kevin McHale, Marques Johnson, Rajon Rondo, Joakim Noah, Kris Humphries

You could have destroyed us with that atrocity of a trade nate made with you... thank you for not doing so.  Still, you've got a solid squad here but too many guys that should be playing SF (McHale, Johnson, Noah) will hurt you on the boards and a distinct lack of threes will cause you to lose some games that you shouldn't otherwise lose.  Erving also makes McHale less valuable offensively.

maglor1 - Larry Nance, Hakeem Olajuwon, Wesley Person, Jerry West,

Nance is not a guy to build around but is a solid support player.  Olajuwon is far from a poison, he is just overpriced for what he brings you and many, many other guys bring you better offense (however none of those guys were still around when it got back to you because they weren't around when it got back to me).  Person was the best pick you made, but with West as your point... You're hurting in the shooting struggle (average efg% from your highest usage guys), the possession battle (no good rebounders at all thus far & your two highest usage guys turn it over a ton) & the foul factor (hello Olajuwon, mr foul-a-ton yet don't get to the line much).
7/30/2013 12:07 AM (edited)
Can we mention former owners?
7/22/2013 9:18 PM
top 5 seems like the right 5.  Can't say that the next 5 isn't the right next 5 either, though I'm still not CP3's biggest fan (though I'm starting to really like using his 11-12 season in OLs.  That tov% is insane for a point guard.  His 07-08 or 08-09 season is better suited for this league, though).

Pippen at 14 was the first surprise to me.  He's not someone I would have ever thought about building a team around in this league... but he gives you a ton of good and very little bad.

Tiny, though... Pennsylvania, don't take this personally because most owners go through this when they initially join draft leagues... That Tiny pick might go down as the worst first in the funk52 draft history.  Archibald often goes undrafted, but to use a 1st on him?!  At least you get a lot of minutes out of him.  You're in for a rough experience.  You really should expand the forum to show last 6 months worth of threads and read up on the past drafts to give you some idea of who goes where & read the commentary threads to see why.  It'll save you a lot of heartbreak!

7/22/2013 9:23 PM
Posted by natenoy on 7/22/2013 9:18:00 PM (view original):
Can we mention former owners?
I think we should try to stay as on-topic as possible and not invite certain people to stop by and derail the thread.

That said, if the shoe fits, wear it.  I'm sure I'll bring up UVA when some of his guys get drafted, seeing as how (in my mind) he was the greatest $52M owner this sim has ever seen.

7/22/2013 9:24 PM
Pip at 14 is early, but not terriby IMO.  I shouda taken Magic really.   Russ for Ash surprised me, but a first round BL worked well for him last time and Bill is even better than the 'fro.
7/22/2013 9:32 PM
I got double whammied by mikee today... first he beats me in the finals, then he takes the guy I was going to draft.  Damn you, mikee!
7/22/2013 9:46 PM
pffffttt who is this funk guy?...he dont run this sh!t! i do! haha

my first 52m draft was actually the first one after ncih took over for kfunk....if ncih had kept the name i might have as well...has a nice ring to it

7/22/2013 9:54 PM
it'll always be the funk52 to me.  The alliteration & all.
7/22/2013 9:56 PM
Ash you beat me to starting the commentary thread...and promised commentary itself...I am not fighting this!
7/22/2013 10:02 PM
you still get to do evals =p
7/22/2013 10:18 PM
I know that it looks like I left my PDX pal sly with a gift at 21. I just didn't know if I could pull off an ash and get enough good usage later on to make it work. But that was probably a big mistake. Big Ben is a defensive monster and is the best low usage PF other than Rodman IMO. To tell you the truth I was kind of upset that mikee1 took Duncan and I thought for sure that I would get him at # 20. But it sounds like ash would have ruined that plan anyway  Magic at least provides positional dominance at PG although along with tons of turnovers. 
7/23/2013 1:23 AM
Posted by ashamael on 7/22/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):
it'll always be the funk52 to me.  The alliteration & all.
this
7/23/2013 10:02 AM
Posted by ashamael on 7/22/2013 9:10:00 PM (view original):
As per usual, use this thread for all of your thoughts on your own & others' squads.  Just remember, there are two rules to this thread:

1.  Don't mention undrafted players.

2.  DON'T MENTION UNDRAFTED PLAYERS.

Also, please try to keep the personal attacks to a minimum... thanks.

Undrafted players are the best!

Also ashamael is stupid and he smells

7/23/2013 10:07 AM
1|2|3...14 Next ▸
Funk52 XLI - Commentary Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.