1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

It's allowed and legal as long as the teams are 1000 miles apart.  It's not as big a deal as you might think.
8/7/2013 7:11 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/7/2013 7:11:00 PM (view original):
It's allowed and legal as long as the teams are 1000 miles apart.  It's not as big a deal as you might think.
So, hypothetically, I could be the coach at NC State and KU, use my KU team's extra resources to help my NC State team battle against Duke and UNC for the top recruits in NC? Wow. That makes this "1000 mile rule" seem even more idiotic. It just seems unethical to me, even if it meets the letter of the law.
8/7/2013 7:14 PM
What you're talking about amounts to collusion, and that is "cheating" and will get you in trouble 1000 miles apart or not.  What I'm saying is for your teams 1000 miles apart, you just buy FSS with the one team, but use the information for both...again, not really a big deal; the reward isn't worth the hassle...I did it 1 time, 3 years ago...not worth it.
8/7/2013 7:21 PM
The fact that WIS cannot prevent this action, does not mean that it is "allowed" or "legal" (whatever those terms might mean in this context).  The use of one account to benefit a second account violates the fair play guidelines of the game.  PERIOD!   It does not matter whether one person controls both IDs or whether two people communicate the information between them.   
8/7/2013 7:32 PM
It still feels like collusion to me. You are using info that you wouldn't have had, if you'd not used both teams to benefit one.
8/7/2013 7:33 PM
Here is the response that clarifies the point from another thread: "No brainer - that's the whole point of the 1000 mile rule, to minimize the chances of sharing this info."
8/7/2013 7:49 PM
Posted by rogelio on 8/7/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Here is the response that clarifies the point from another thread: "No brainer - that's the whole point of the 1000 mile rule, to minimize the chances of sharing this info."
I hate this arbitrary "rule", but Seble seems to make clear that sharing FSS info between accounts IS, in fact, breaking that rule.
8/7/2013 8:07 PM
It actually took me a little bit to find the fair play guidelines themselves.  Here they are:

Hoops Dynasty & Gridiron Dynasty

More than one team in the same world

One person (regardless of account used) cannot control more than one team in the same world within the same conference or within 1,000 miles or less of one another. Violation of this rule will lead to a forced relocation or removal from one of the teams.

If an owner finds himself in this situation due to accident, he should submit a support ticket and request to have himself transferred to a different school or removed from the world.

Collusive transactions

Collusion includes any act that supports bad, deceitful or illegal behavior agreed upon by two or more users or attempted by a single user. Here are a few examples:

• Discussing the pursuit of a recruit with another coach, including who is pursuing him and money that might have been spent.
  • Sharing Future Stars Scouting (FSS) information between multiple teams
  • Scheduling a non-conference game against an alias team (i.e. team owned by same owner in a different conference and more than 1,000 miles away). Exhibition games are permitted in this situation, however.
  • Any clear throwing of a game (normally indicated by massive lineup changes or settings changes)
  • Attempting to persuade another user to participate in a collusive effort (only the initiator would be at fault unless agreed upon by other user)

Potential punishments

Each infraction is reviewed by customer service with a goal of consistent punishment. Some infractions are more egregious than others and users with a history of violating the guidelines receive stiffer punishment. The below is a list of potential punishments for any of the above infractions:

1. Warning via sitemail (or conference chat if directed at the conference in general)
  2. Losing recruiting money
  3. Coach reputation hit
  4. Removal of players/recruits (including releasing a signed recruit from a team)
  5. School prestige hit
  6. Removal of coach from team
  7. Banning of user from site
8/7/2013 8:14 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/7/2013 8:07:00 PM (view original):
I hate this arbitrary "rule", but Seble seems to make clear that sharing FSS info between accounts IS, in fact, breaking that rule.
sharing FSS info is a violation for two coaches and of course a violation for one coach

and what a good set of questions I posed to seble back in that thread!
8/7/2013 9:32 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/7/2013 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/7/2013 8:07:00 PM (view original):
sharing FSS info is a violation for two coaches and of course a violation for one coach

and what a good set of questions I posed to seble back in that thread!
Yeah, it kind of confused me when Colonels claimed it wasn't. If that were true, what would keep players from just getting some crappy D-3 team, and just dumping the recruiting budget into FSS for the D-1 or D-2 team, to save budget for the higher division team to use in battles?
8/7/2013 10:58 PM
Lol, sharing FSS for one coach is virtually unprovable.  You're being naive if you don't think FSS is "shared" regularly between a users 2 teams in the same world, hence that renders the 1000 mile rule, moot because FSS costs the same everywhere.  Like it or not, multiple team world players have paid for this privilege.

A good handful of you are WAY TOO ANAL about the multiple team thing...it doesn't help as much as you might think.

8/7/2013 10:59 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/7/2013 11:00:00 PM (view original):
Lol, sharing FSS for one coach is virtually unprovable.  You're being naive if you don't think FSS is "shared" regularly between a users 2 teams in the same world, hence that renders the 1000 mile rule, moot because FSS costs the same everywhere.  Like it or not, multiple team world players have paid for this privilege.

A good handful of you are WAY TOO ANAL about the multiple team thing...it doesn't help as much as you might think.

I think the rule is stupid. But I'd never use a second team to FSS for a different team. Maybe that makes me naive, or whatever, but I just wouldn't do it. I especially wouldn't do it now that I know that it's a clear violation of the rules. If that makes me "naive" (or whatever), then so be it.
8/7/2013 11:38 PM
shame to make such a false statement.  Clear that seble and most users believe this is contrary to the rules.  Now it may be that one might not get caught - or one might - but that does not make it "allowed and legal"
8/8/2013 12:27 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/7/2013 11:00:00 PM (view original):

The fact that you may be unlikely to be caught at cheating is not relevant to whether you are, in fact, cheating.  You argue that it's ok to cheat and everyone does it.  They don't and it isn't.   You need to get it into your head that the things that you are advocating are against the rules and punishable by banishment (among other penalties).  No one should be mistaken about that.  

The 1000 mile rule was created to PROTECT the users with multiple teams in a world that were otherwise behaving according to the fair play guidelines.  The reason for it is that CS invites any user that feels that they have been cheated to make a complaint.  Only then will CS investigate.  If the teams are more than 1000 miles apart, then an honest player will be unlikely to be alleged to have cheated.  

When you say that players with multiple teams have "paid for this privilege", you could not be more mistaken.   The fair play guidelines and just simple morals will tell you that statement is a steaming pile!!!

8/8/2013 2:24 PM
Stop being so holier than thou...my point is, it's not a big deal.  I don't do it and I don't necessarily advocate doing it (more because the reward isn't worth the payment/effort) but if you think you suck at HD because this exists, you're beyond kidding yourselves.

BTW, if you feel like you have to do this to be successful, you're pathetic.

8/8/2013 9:15 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13 Next ▸
1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.