1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

And now that you have seen the evidence are your hands still tied? Again I'm not concerned about wareagletom or aubietom - but the names that were listed in response to your question are or were long time veteran, well respected coaches - and washing your hands of this situation (based on a claim that has been proven false) seems to have made these past situations all for nothing. I think that's the greatest disservice here.
7/25/2013 4:07 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by seble on 7/25/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
I don't want to rehash the very lengthy discussion of the rule itself.  I posted here just to clarify the circumstances of this particular case.
Can you clarify why you don't consider the CC messages in the original post to be clear evidence that it's the same person with both ids?
7/25/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by seble on 7/25/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
We're always open to alternative solutions as long as they address the various problems and don't create new ones.  Fire away.
its a shame the openness lasted about... 2 hours =(
7/25/2013 5:43 PM
My problem with the situation is that seble bent the rules for some people and didn't for others, and if there's going to be selective enforcement of the rule, it may as well not exist.  Public relations is not a strong suit of seble's either...
7/25/2013 7:05 PM
id like to publicly declare that coach_billyg is and always has been controlled by my son. hes pretty smart for a 13 month old! i assume this relieves any concerns about me coaching a team within 1000 miles of coach_billyg, should i ever coach again.
7/25/2013 8:05 PM
"All it does is suck our time away from more important things."

Like working on other games?
7/25/2013 8:15 PM
Posted by isack24 on 7/25/2013 8:15:00 PM (view original):

Glad someone else was thinking it.  Does this mean the most amount of time they spend on HD is when they are dealing with 2 teams/1 person problems?
7/25/2013 9:34 PM
Posted by seble on 7/25/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
We're always open to alternative solutions as long as they address the various problems and don't create new ones.  Fire away.
Why not allow user registration of multiple IDs? The only people you've ever affected with the 1000 mile rule are those who are upfront about their IDs. This rule doesn't affect anyone who really is trying to cheat, it is to easy to claim to be roommates, or father/son, etc. I could sign my wife up for a team, and use her credit card and email and have no problems cheating. But when I have 2 IDs that are pretty similar, and everybody knows the coach of Duke and Alabama, Huntsville are the same guy, that is something that can't stand (even though I rarely bother with FSS for high D1 teams and since everybody knows that these 2 schools are the same coach I'm careful not to have the appearance of impropriety) that is a huge issue.

Seble, I tried to tell you when the rule was first announced, it doesn't affect people who are really trying to cheat; you can't really detect that with the tools you currently have. Who was affected were long term, honest coaches. There are some other businesses that have enjoyed my disposable income over the past couple of years.
7/25/2013 10:09 PM
This is just a tempest in a teapot.  I hope that _______tom doesn't read any of this.  If it is one person, then it certainly looks like someone that has bent over backwards attempting to comply with the 1000 mile rule world-by-world.  

Would this whole mystery not be explained were it father/son that take over one another's account from time to time (when one is too busy)?  When both are active, then it isn't an issue.  Just in case they try to comply with the rule and simply screwed the pooch this time (by 37 miles).   I have no idea whether any of that is true, but does no one want to give the benefit of the doubt to apparently well intention(s)ed fellow user(s)?
7/25/2013 10:12 PM
Posted by isack24 on 7/25/2013 8:15:00 PM (view original):

Like playing ping pong and Sega on their "breaks"...
7/25/2013 11:32 PM
You CAN'T be serious. Just because someone didn't *quit* the game, doesn't mean they didn't *lose* a team. 

I've been at Northeastern State since season 3 of Tark.  I'm beginning my 80th season at that school, longer than anyone has ever coached one school (season-wise) in the history of HD.  I've got two main ID's that I use, this one and emy1013.  I started Tark with both of them in season 2 (couldn't get in season 1 because the world filled up too fast.  In case you haven't noticed, that's not a problem anymore.  Ever.  Awful lot of Sim teams in each world.  Bunches and bunches) and decided at that time that my Dcy ID (which is actually my son's info and I could have easily stuck to that story, since it does happen to be the truth) would stay at Northeastern State since it was the first D2 school I had ever coached in HD.  I also decided that I would use my emy1013 ID to try to reach my destination school, which was Duke.  At that point in time, there was NO rule prohibiting two teams in a world and, in fact, Tarek (the original Admin) had actually encouraged coaches to fill teams as they saw fit.  No?  Just ask him about Rob Tracy and the 26 teams he was controlling at one point.  Or reference the long time coach who made a habit of bragging about how he had faced himself in the title game of an NT.  Not a peep from the original Admin (you know, the guy who actually created the game).

Well, I finally made it to Duke in season 47 of Tark.  At that time, still no rule about having more than one team per world.  Some time after that, it was arbitrarily decided that two teams was still okay, as long as they weren't in the same division.  Still no problem.  Then another arbitrary rule with some random distance selected that said the two teams couldn't be within a certain distance of each other.  I left Duke voluntarily but I can assure you of one thing.  Had I been "made" to move, after spending all that time and money to reach my destination school, and after complying with the rules in place at the time that I reached my destination school, I would have certainly felt like I had *lost* a team and yes, you would have "made" me quit.  Somehow, you just to seem to *get* it.  No, no one was forced to "quit" the game, but people most certainly *lost* teams and for you to say that no one did, seems to show how out of touch with the situation you really are.

Like BillyG, I too, sat through all of the horrible roll-outs, I also played beta tester for WiS with seasons that I had purchased while the aformentioned roll-outs were trying (slowly and badly) to be fixed, and I also continued to keep my teams and play the game.  But I've got to tell you (since you seem to be monitoring this thread), that it really and truthfully seems that the prevailing attitude at WiS is that "we're the only game in town and we can s*** on our customers as much as we want because they've got nowhere else to go.  Especially with our Customer Service department".  I'm still playing, but only because I've got credits to burn and I'm not just going to give them back for free.  (Oh, and thanks for re-compensating those of us who stuck with our D2 and D3 teams when you guys de-valued the credits for NT games.  That was great how some of us only got 25% of what we should have gotten, while the brand new D2 and D3 coaches got the full 100%, simply because they hadn't been at their schools as long as we had.  Nice that someone came to their senses and changed it back to 100% for everyone, but what about all those seasons where we got the reduced rate and never got back what we should have when the rule reverted back to how it should have stayed in the first place.  Just another example of the fine treatment that the long time coaches got.  It was just swell, really).

I'm one of those guys that BillyG referenced about doing an interview.  I'm also the same guy who explained to your point of contact that because of how poorly and "amateurish" the whole two teams debacle was handled, that I couldn't in good conscience waste a minute of my time doing anything (i.e., the interview) that might help promote your game/website.  I've still got the list of questions sitting blank in my e-mail, but only because every once in a while I need to look at them to have a laugh. 

I've had guys at work ask me what game is was looking at and if it was interesting and I told them not to waste a second of their time nor a dollar of their money on this site, not when it was run at such a sub-standard level.  Not while your CS is so laughably bad.  Not while we don't see any kind of direction from the people in charge for months at a time.  No sir, not me.  You want new blood to join?  Perhaps a little advertising might do the trick, but I can assure you that WiS won't be getting any positive reviews from this guy.

I've spent the better part of eight years playing this game, every day, and in a way, I'll be sad when it's time for me to go (see some of us DO get attached to teams and DO feel like we're losing something when we let them go, whether voluntarily or not.  Again, something I'm not sure you quite "get").  But....not so sad that it will trump how disgusted I've become with the horrible decisions that have been made recently by the people "in charge" (and I use that term, very, VERY loosely).  It's a shame, really, because this game has the potential (pun most certainly intended) to be one of the best around, but it has been driven into the ground and quickly at that.  So sad.  It's a shame someone higher up at Fox doesn't take the time to look at the game and start asking some hard questions.  Maybe then the game would start getting the attention, publicity, and leadership it needs to thrive.  But until then it'll just continue to slowly take on water until it finally goes under.  Such a shame.

For those following this thread, please read this post quickly as I don't expect it to be up long.  The last time I posted something negative about the game or the people associated with the game, my post was removed and I was banned from the forums for a few days.  Seems that some don't take any kind of criticism well at all.  All for now and sorry so long.
7/26/2013 12:42 AM
Posted by dcy0827 on 7/26/2013 12:42:00 AM (view original):
You CAN'T be serious. Just because someone didn't *quit* the game, doesn't mean they didn't *lose* a team. 

I've been at Northeastern State since season 3 of Tark.  I'm beginning my 80th season at that school, longer than anyone has ever coached one school (season-wise) in the history of HD.  I've got two main ID's that I use, this one and emy1013.  I started Tark with both of them in season 2 (couldn't get in season 1 because the world filled up too fast.  In case you haven't noticed, that's not a problem anymore.  Ever.  Awful lot of Sim teams in each world.  Bunches and bunches) and decided at that time that my Dcy ID (which is actually my son's info and I could have easily stuck to that story, since it does happen to be the truth) would stay at Northeastern State since it was the first D2 school I had ever coached in HD.  I also decided that I would use my emy1013 ID to try to reach my destination school, which was Duke.  At that point in time, there was NO rule prohibiting two teams in a world and, in fact, Tarek (the original Admin) had actually encouraged coaches to fill teams as they saw fit.  No?  Just ask him about Rob Tracy and the 26 teams he was controlling at one point.  Or reference the long time coach who made a habit of bragging about how he had faced himself in the title game of an NT.  Not a peep from the original Admin (you know, the guy who actually created the game).

Well, I finally made it to Duke in season 47 of Tark.  At that time, still no rule about having more than one team per world.  Some time after that, it was arbitrarily decided that two teams was still okay, as long as they weren't in the same division.  Still no problem.  Then another arbitrary rule with some random distance selected that said the two teams couldn't be within a certain distance of each other.  I left Duke voluntarily but I can assure you of one thing.  Had I been "made" to move, after spending all that time and money to reach my destination school, and after complying with the rules in place at the time that I reached my destination school, I would have certainly felt like I had *lost* a team and yes, you would have "made" me quit.  Somehow, you just to seem to *get* it.  No, no one was forced to "quit" the game, but people most certainly *lost* teams and for you to say that no one did, seems to show how out of touch with the situation you really are.

Like BillyG, I too, sat through all of the horrible roll-outs, I also played beta tester for WiS with seasons that I had purchased while the aformentioned roll-outs were trying (slowly and badly) to be fixed, and I also continued to keep my teams and play the game.  But I've got to tell you (since you seem to be monitoring this thread), that it really and truthfully seems that the prevailing attitude at WiS is that "we're the only game in town and we can s*** on our customers as much as we want because they've got nowhere else to go.  Especially with our Customer Service department".  I'm still playing, but only because I've got credits to burn and I'm not just going to give them back for free.  (Oh, and thanks for re-compensating those of us who stuck with our D2 and D3 teams when you guys de-valued the credits for NT games.  That was great how some of us only got 25% of what we should have gotten, while the brand new D2 and D3 coaches got the full 100%, simply because they hadn't been at their schools as long as we had.  Nice that someone came to their senses and changed it back to 100% for everyone, but what about all those seasons where we got the reduced rate and never got back what we should have when the rule reverted back to how it should have stayed in the first place.  Just another example of the fine treatment that the long time coaches got.  It was just swell, really).

I'm one of those guys that BillyG referenced about doing an interview.  I'm also the same guy who explained to your point of contact that because of how poorly and "amateurish" the whole two teams debacle was handled, that I couldn't in good conscience waste a minute of my time doing anything (i.e., the interview) that might help promote your game/website.  I've still got the list of questions sitting blank in my e-mail, but only because every once in a while I need to look at them to have a laugh. 

I've had guys at work ask me what game is was looking at and if it was interesting and I told them not to waste a second of their time nor a dollar of their money on this site, not when it was run at such a sub-standard level.  Not while your CS is so laughably bad.  Not while we don't see any kind of direction from the people in charge for months at a time.  No sir, not me.  You want new blood to join?  Perhaps a little advertising might do the trick, but I can assure you that WiS won't be getting any positive reviews from this guy.

I've spent the better part of eight years playing this game, every day, and in a way, I'll be sad when it's time for me to go (see some of us DO get attached to teams and DO feel like we're losing something when we let them go, whether voluntarily or not.  Again, something I'm not sure you quite "get").  But....not so sad that it will trump how disgusted I've become with the horrible decisions that have been made recently by the people "in charge" (and I use that term, very, VERY loosely).  It's a shame, really, because this game has the potential (pun most certainly intended) to be one of the best around, but it has been driven into the ground and quickly at that.  So sad.  It's a shame someone higher up at Fox doesn't take the time to look at the game and start asking some hard questions.  Maybe then the game would start getting the attention, publicity, and leadership it needs to thrive.  But until then it'll just continue to slowly take on water until it finally goes under.  Such a shame.

For those following this thread, please read this post quickly as I don't expect it to be up long.  The last time I posted something negative about the game or the people associated with the game, my post was removed and I was banned from the forums for a few days.  Seems that some don't take any kind of criticism well at all.  All for now and sorry so long.

7/26/2013 1:32 AM
Posted by rogelio on 7/25/2013 10:12:00 PM (view original):
This is just a tempest in a teapot.  I hope that _______tom doesn't read any of this.  If it is one person, then it certainly looks like someone that has bent over backwards attempting to comply with the 1000 mile rule world-by-world.  

Would this whole mystery not be explained were it father/son that take over one another's account from time to time (when one is too busy)?  When both are active, then it isn't an issue.  Just in case they try to comply with the rule and simply screwed the pooch this time (by 37 miles).   I have no idea whether any of that is true, but does no one want to give the benefit of the doubt to apparently well intention(s)ed fellow user(s)?
i dont mind giving them the benefit of the doubt. i didnt even care when i thought it was the same person using the "say its my son" lie that was discussed in several of the previous threads on the same topic. sounds like there really are two people, in which case i dont care even more.

i do, however, remain ****** off at seble :) 

with emys comment, it makes me wonder... i wonder who the last coach was to do an interview who didnt have multiple teams? not necessarily within 1000 miles... but in general (and most clearly had teams within 1000 miles coaches, but not all). has it ever happened? dont want to get into specifics there at least for the 1000 miles part for obvious reasons... but doesnt that say something? i guess to some people, it says, because those coaches had multiple teams and won more titles than guys with 1 team per world, that clearly, they are all cheaters (and by extension, everyone else who ever had multiple teams in a world is a cheater). but to me it says something different. maybe something about the location of seble's head with respect to his excrement releasing parts?
7/26/2013 11:22 AM
the sad thing, emy, is he is serious. he really does think its not a big deal to make someone lose a team they had for so long, picked up in compliance with the rules. thats how severely he doesnt get it :(

i guess thats the by product of running a game you really dont play with any intensity. i know seble has teams but he clearly doesnt get the fully engaged coaching experience. ive always said his biggest strength is being willing to take feedback from users, both in form of suggestions and criticism. and, that his biggest weakness was lack of context - not understanding, for example, what its like to recruit competitively in d1. but this whole incident makes me question that - clearly the lack of context is a problem - but wheres the willingness to take feedback? its really a shame, the one place seble really stepped up from the old way seems to have vanished in this case. but its not the first time - the d1 recruit generation disaster still has not been mended, he still talks like he sees absolutely nothing wrong! i am starting to think seble has gotten past his early days where he was open minded, in recognition of the fact that he was new to HD and there was a lot he didnt know. its almost like now he thinks he knows enough to just ignore everybody else, and thats a shame, because its still dead obvious that lack of context is his biggest weakness. id like to see him join a real BCS conference with highly competitive coaches and go 0-16, 2-14 when he gets lucky for a few seasons, to get a little reality check on how much of this game he has left to master.
7/26/2013 11:48 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...13 Next ▸
1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.