Best Thing About Current Game Topic

The thing that I like most about the current game is:  Its simplicity.  I've tried to play other football sim games and I just don't have the time or patience to set up 18 million scenarios and review all the detail about player recruits and all that crap. 
7/28/2013 7:27 AM
I am playing the currrent game And the Beta and that is what I like about the current game also. The Beta has way too many tweaks and settings. I don't like spending the time with all those tweaks.
        The game as it stands now I still find fun and I wish it was more popular.

7/28/2013 12:50 PM
One of the reasons why the current game is less popular is that many feel it has been 'dumbed down', and game outcomes are therefore too much the result of chance.  With less complexity, there is less control, and with less control, skilled players have less of an opportunity to impact the game results to their advantage.  Hence, 'coin flip dynasty'.  Increasing the complexity of the game is needed for improvement in my opinion.

Edit: Of course, I mean complexity that is added in an intelligent, competent way.  The Beta is a disaster to this point for reasons that have been well documented, and this is not what I have in mind at all:  A thousand settings to fiddle with that make no difference in the game play is *not* complexity!

7/28/2013 1:05 PM (edited)
I love watching the dynamic and discussions of players about the beta/2.0 engine. Many have changed their tunes, and though I sit on the sidelines, I can't help but think of the proverbial saying, "Be careful what you wish for."

My point is this: 2.0 needs improvement, but it's still the best game on the market. The issue that is facing the game is that-- as the best game, why improve it for a niche clientele base? If it has no competition, then there is nothing to strive to be better than, and so WIS doesn't need to devote resources to it, and subsequently, FOX doesn't need to allocate resources to WIS. So here we are on the backburner, calling for changes to the game we see so much promise for, but the business behind it does not see it as necessary or even beneficial. So how do we solve THAT issue?

My thought process basically leads to this question: Without an engine to compete against GD, then there is no reason for Fox/WIS to improve it greatly. So this beta is, quite possibly, a way for WIS to satiate its userbase. So, is all this just the symptoms of being a big fish in a small pond?
7/28/2013 5:09 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 7/28/2013 7:27:00 AM (view original):
The thing that I like most about the current game is:  Its simplicity.  I've tried to play other football sim games and I just don't have the time or patience to set up 18 million scenarios and review all the detail about player recruits and all that crap. 
+1
7/28/2013 5:14 PM
Simple=Better...whole different topic in this current engine when talking about the better team winning more often or it just be somewhat luck.
7/28/2013 5:21 PM
Simple = better?  Wow.

GD may be the best game on the market, but that market is very small and shrinking.  It's a small fish in a small pond, but there is a lot of potential and room to grow if the improvements were done correctly.

7/28/2013 11:50 PM
Sorry dream76 not everyone has an hour a day to game plan and adjust settings. Which is essentially requires in the beta...just not very realiatic. Unless you don't have a job or gf?
7/29/2013 11:08 AM
OK, I'll bite.  I'm married and I've made over 100K in each of the last 3 years.  But none of that really matters.  The point is not that the game should be complex for the sake of complexity, but to reflect the real decisions real football coaches make to impact the playing of the game, and, ultimately, the outcome.  That would be more 'realiatic', and more fun, and more popular.   I believe this will require a higher level of complexity than v2--I had fun with that version and I won a few NCs there under a different ID some time ago.   But I stopped because I wasn't seeing any improvement to the system.  I was initially very hopeful for v3 beta being tested, but quit the beta when I realized it is virtually unplayable. Frankly v3 isn't ready for beta yet.  As I mentioned, beta is not what I have in mind when I state that additional complexity is needed.  If you think the current game is great, that is fine--but I believe the game can be much improved, and this will necessitate generating additional complexity.  We can disagree, that is OK.  But if you want to try to impugn my lifestyle on the basis of this opinion, please go suck a rock.
7/29/2013 5:16 PM
I agree it needs to be realistic. At this point the only alternative is beta which I've stopped playing because it's been so terrible and time consuming. I guess if I ran one team it would possible.....I enjoy how you felt so bothered by my online post that you had to prove yourself by stating your marital status and income as if it really matters. I could care less you could be a 28 year living at home for all I know it's irrelevant. I was going to say we can hash it out by playing in a non conference game but you have no active teams....When and if you can afford it  for $10 a month on your 100k+++ earnings let me know so I can whoop your psyche (on the forums) and your *** in GD!  
7/31/2013 1:06 AM

I for one "Don't" believe it has to be realistic. I only ask that it is fun.  
Right now the way I see it you either like the current version of GD or you are foolish to keep playing it.
The Beta is apparently no where near close and has a miriad of problems.  When and if it comes around you can reevaluate.

7/31/2013 5:58 PM
The other owners is the answer to the original title.  If it wasn't for some really cool (and some mean jacknabbers) this game would not be as fun.  I love recruiting - but the vision aspect sucks.  I'd have a tougher schedule if I could afford to, but I need wins to get the talent to win in the playoffs.
7/31/2013 6:12 PM
I have spent a total of 15 minutes with my playbooks the last two seasons. That covers all five of my beta teams. Seriously. Not that complex. Once you get started, its just a couple tweaks. Its broken for many reasons, but I just don't see this supposed complexity. 
8/1/2013 1:33 AM
Posted by jfootball88 on 7/31/2013 1:06:00 AM (view original):
I agree it needs to be realistic. At this point the only alternative is beta which I've stopped playing because it's been so terrible and time consuming. I guess if I ran one team it would possible.....I enjoy how you felt so bothered by my online post that you had to prove yourself by stating your marital status and income as if it really matters. I could care less you could be a 28 year living at home for all I know it's irrelevant. I was going to say we can hash it out by playing in a non conference game but you have no active teams....When and if you can afford it  for $10 a month on your 100k+++ earnings let me know so I can whoop your psyche (on the forums) and your *** in GD!  
Do you like apples?
8/1/2013 3:41 AM
Posted by harriswb3 on 7/28/2013 7:27:00 AM (view original):
Agreed, that honestly is why I don't like the beta. I know I am in the minority with that feeling because of the lack of control in certain situations but I like it to be easier
8/1/2013 9:44 AM
12 Next ▸
Best Thing About Current Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.